Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
todays stoopit rant with corporations
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 31, 2017 09:41AM
[www.nacco.com]

which owns Hamilton Beach amongst other consumer brands gets the crown today.
"bought" an HB toaster with points. It is somewhat heat challenged for a new product.
Not awful, but not as it should be for new.

HB offered to send me a new one if I sent them a photo of a "disabled" product by cutting off the power cable, essentially landing in the junk heap.
While this toaster is a dawg (and their replacement probably will be as well), it would still be welcome, I would think, at Goodwill where someone could buy it for a $1 or 2.

I offered to Goodwill it and send HB the receipt. But no, they had to be sure the unit was "disabled" "so that the warranty could be carried to the replacement."

I guess I expect too much thought from some corps.

ebay, OTOH, offered to have me ship back a DoA refurbed router at their expense and refund the full cost of the ebay purchase, since the seller doesn't seem to want to respond.

I know. Unrelated concepts, but yet, somehow .......

Decent 2 slice toasters are impossible to find for less than$50? WTFF?

OK, done ranting. Nothing to see here.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: todays stoopit rant with corporations
Posted by: billb
Date: May 31, 2017 09:47AM
Energy Star ™ toaster ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 31, 2017 09:50AM
I would have photoshopped it.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 31, 2017 09:58AM
mattkime
I would have photoshopped it.
This. BTW, a Disabled toaster removes liability. Because it's all about not feeding the lawyers.
Date: May 31, 2017 10:09AM
dunno or have photoshop.
hadn't thought about the lawyers.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: May 31, 2017 10:15AM
Okay, I'll go ahead and semi hijack with this company failure: Otterbox iPhone case. Bought one for Ethyl's iPhone, after about 2 (two) months, it broke. Several contacts to Otterbox company became so difficult, I gave up, never to buy their products again. They said send a photo of broken case, which I did, TWO times, still no help. I call that a Knuckleheaded dagnabbed company. cursing smiley

Thanks for opening the Rant door, Fritz.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2017 10:16AM by GuyGene.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 31, 2017 11:23AM
I'll play the other side of the fence on this one.

If it works as designed, it's not broken/defective. And so gifting it to someone doesn't make sense for them from a warranty perspective.

Making a warranty claim on something with bad design is a risk. When the replacement arrives you'll know if it was actually defective, or merely deficient.

Yesterday's toasters that worked great for decades probably cost at least $50 in today's dollars.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: May 31, 2017 11:44AM
Here's your problem, right here: "The primary goal of NACCO is to increase shareholder value by managing for long-term profit growth"

Posted by: artie67
Date: May 31, 2017 12:46PM
Friend had a HB toaster with the same problem. HB had a big recall on it. Cheap toasters are just that.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 31, 2017 01:00PM
Fritz
It is somewhat heat challenged for a new product.
Not awful, but not as it should be for new.

This is the case with a lot of new toasters today. They are borderline crippled on heat output because they are afraid of insurance claims. I can't find one that works as fast as the 65 year old one I inherited from my parents. The problem is it has slim and narrow slots, most bread from the standard wide loaves today won't fit.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: May 31, 2017 01:30PM
Thrift store $5 HB 4 slice with bagel capacity still going strong after 3 years.
Date: May 31, 2017 07:54PM
"When the replacement arrives you'll know if it was actually defective, or merely deficient. "
I'm thinking the later.

"Thanks for opening the Rant door, Fritz." welcome

"The primary goal of NACCO is to increase shareholder value by managing for long-term profit growth"
heh, heh, heh, n/c.

"They are borderline crippled on heat output because they are afraid of insurance claims. "
yea, me thinks you're onto something. Probably better off toasting on the gas range. Better, faster and 1 less pos on the counter.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 31, 2017 10:02PM
my 6 slice convection toaster oven is 1100 watts. WTF? Our hair dryer if 50% more powerful!

HOWEVER, as a convection oven, it does small-ish roasts superbly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018