advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $153.14 ( +2.59 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
seriously thinking of losing our landline-talk me out of it!
Posted by: robfilms
Date: June 01, 2017 10:11AM
so my wife and i have a landline.

we have had the same phone number for 34 years.

there is a far amount of nostalgia attached.

we have talked about losing the landline and just rely upon our sprint family plan iphones.

i have been very satisfied with sprint for the past 20 years.

we had kept the landline because each of our mom's used the landline to call us (even though they each had an iphone on our family plan!).

two and a half yrs ago my mom passed.

last year my wife's mom passed.

(both of our dads passed a decade ago.)

my two, wonderful, young adult daughters do not have landlines but have iphones under my sprint family plan.

verizon who runs the landlines here in nyc, has been moving from copper wire to optical and wants to "upgrade" our landline.

this event has ushered in the present conversation.

my wife and i and our family and friends all went through september 11, 2001. on that terrible day, the cell phones went down but the landlines did not and were critical in communicating with everyone as many of us were downtown.

with verizon's move away from copper, i wonder if their reliance on some form of digital will also put into question whether the landlines would work in the case of an emergency. or perhaps that is just not reason enough since everyone who would call us would be using their cell phones.

the cost of the landline is approx $40/month or nearly $500/year.

that is about what $35k in a one-year cd would earn.

keep the landline or get rid of it?

what say yee?

thank you in advance to those who care to share.

be well.

rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2017 10:13AM by robfilms.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: seriously thinking of losing our landline-talk me out of it!
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 01, 2017 10:22AM
should have ditched it years ago.

transfer your number to google voice and have it forward to the mobile phones you want to ring.

Posted by: Schpark
Date: June 01, 2017 10:22AM
Get an Ooma and keep the number.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2017 10:23AM by Schpark.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 01, 2017 10:23AM
I have ditched a landline when I moved into my new house... the phone wiring was a wreck, and would have required a lot of crawling under the house, etc, to fix... so I just went with my then new-to-me iPhone.

Yes, there are disadvantages... But to save $40/mo (ish) on a phone bill? I decided it was worth it.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 01, 2017 10:23AM
AT&T offers U-Verse to me now, even though DSL has never been available to me.

This suggests that there is no longer truly a copper pair between where I live and the switch. Instead, my copper pair terminates at a fiber optic node somewhere in my local neighborhood, and most of the cable run is via fiber.

In other words, a landline is not what it used to be. In an emergency such as a power outage, it's highly likely that I would lose phone service with a "landline" , just like I lose internet service with Comcast when there's any sort of a wide power outage, not just on my street.

Modern Technology

Progress

RollingEyesSmiley5
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: June 01, 2017 10:28AM
I still have a landline, but ironically, the phone connected to it hasn't worked for about a year. I should probably replace the phone or ditch the landline. I think I should get a phone. 911 service works best from a landline. If you call from a cell phone, the best they can do is narrow it down to about a 100m circle.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: robfilms
Date: June 01, 2017 10:34AM
mattkime

transfer your number to google voice and have it forward to the mobile phones you want to ring.
matt-

interesting thought.

how is that accomplished?

thanks for any info you care to share.

be well.

rob

ps-hope madison wisc is going well for you and your family!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2017 10:34AM by robfilms.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 01, 2017 10:37AM
Ditched our years ago. Ive heard the 911 argument, but doesnt seem to hold up.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: flightdelayedagain
Date: June 01, 2017 10:40AM
Still have a landline for DSL as we are in a rural area with no other options yet. Having said that, we lost our cell signal last Friday and the only way to call AT&T was via the landline or drive 5 miles to another tower to report the outage
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: June 01, 2017 10:44AM
We ditched our landline about 5 years ago as it was the ONLY way to convince ATT that we really did not want DSL anymore. The only people that ever called the landline were telemarketers and my dad.

When things got tough this winter...landline service in my town was dunzo due to a reliance on fiber optics and a lack of power for several days. Cell phone service kept on going though...

Don't look back....

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: June 01, 2017 10:44AM
robfilms
mattkime

matt-

how is that accomplished?

When I researched this a while ago, Google Voice would not transfer a landline phone number directly. They only transferred cell phone lines. Getting a landline number to Google Voice was then a two-step process. First transfer it to a cell phone account. Then transfer the number to Google Voice and ditch the cell phone account.

It could be that Google Voice will let you transfer the landline number directly now.

Personally I wouldn't trust Google Voice with a number that I want to keep forever. I'd transfer it to a reputable cell phone provider. I did that with my landline number by transferring it to AT&T's Wireless Home Phone service. It is $20/month with unlimited local and domestic long distance. They provide a single device (like a wifi hotspot) that has a phone jack on it for you to plug in your normal landline phone.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: June 01, 2017 10:48AM
Does Verizon provide your internet service as well? Is that optical? They have bundle deals that might be worth investigating...
Posted by: 3d
Date: June 01, 2017 11:20AM
Ditched the landline about 20 years ago in the late 90s.
I'm sure you can think of many other things to spend $500/yr on.

Keep a mental note of where the working street payphones are in your NYC neighborhood for emergencies. And a new $5 prepaid calling card in your wallet. Even if the payphone works and you hear a tone, I doubt the coin slot works properly.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: June 01, 2017 11:22AM
Transfer the phone number and ditch the land line. I did so nearly 10 years ago with Vonage.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 01, 2017 11:30AM
Rob,

Search the forum for my threads about moving my number from Vonage to Google Voice. It's the same process as moving from Verizon (or other landline provider) to Google Voice. Also, check out Ooma and other VOIP providers. Again, look for my threads about them. Lots of info.

FWIW, I moved my number from Verizon to Vonage. Never looked back. My wife did the same and hasn't looked back. I, in turn, moved my number to Google Voice. Never looked back. Haven't paid a dime for phone service since July/August 2015. My wife moved her number to Ooma right afterwards and hasn't looked back.

911 service is available. VOIP providers include it. You can buy it separately for Google Voice. You can also use standard phones, i.e. cordless phone, with Google Voice if you combine it with a box from Obihai. Again, search the forum for details.

Robert
Posted by: billb
Date: June 01, 2017 11:37AM
robfilms

the cost of the landline is approx $40/month or nearly $500/year.

that is about what $35k in a one-year cd would earn.

keep the landline or get rid of it?

what say yee?

thank you in advance to those who care to share.

be well.

rob

[clark.com]

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: bruceko
Date: June 01, 2017 11:45AM
I have kept our land line mainly so I can harass solicitors when I am in a bad mood.
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 01, 2017 11:59AM
I too had the same number via POTS since 1980. ~$35/month with more than half being taxes/fees/surcharges (it was that low because I had to PAY for EVERY outgoing call that wasn't to a toll free number). Since I'm on the road so much in my RV, I decided to get rid of the copper landline about four years ago. I ported my decade's old number to Sprint (like you; wanted to keep the old number for nostalgic reasons). 90%+ of the incoming calls to that number are spam/bogus/telemarketers (the old number had been a listed number). My Sprint contract will be up soon. I expect I'll port from Sprint to Google Voice (once I figure out EXACTLY how to accomplish that). I HATED to give up the clear voice quality and reliability of POTS. The old marketing question, "can you hear me now?, is STILL a valid question. I'll be watching T-Mobile's new "Digits" service they recently rolled out. From what I've heard and read so far, it sounds like Digits might be GV on steroids.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 01, 2017 12:35PM
I switched to an Ooma a few years ago. I'll never go back. The convenience is awesome. We give that number out to everyone, and Ooma blocks most of the crap calls.
Posted by: zachdog
Date: June 01, 2017 12:45PM
I kept our landline for free. It was easy --

Transferred our AT&T landline phone number to an AT&T GoPhone for one month.

Then, after that was completed, transferred the number to Google Voice and cancelled the GoPhone.

Then, installed an Obihai box next to our internet router and connected it to the landline port. Programmed the Obihai box in about 2 minutes and voila, the landline was restored.

Total cost was $60 -- one time only -- and the new Google voice landline has been free ever since. We still use it occasionally because we've had the number for 20+ years.

Search the google for more information, this is a somewhat common procedure.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 01, 2017 01:25PM
I transferred our long-time landline to google voice as shown here. But we only connect via a computer. We call out via FaceTime/skype/hangouts or cell phone anyway.

Lots of calls from solicitors on the landline - don't want to forward those to a cell phone!
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: June 01, 2017 02:52PM
confused smiley facepalm nuts smiley = me.

I thought I understood some of this mess. We still have landline on KomKast, Southern Sektor, but maybe I need to see about moving it to..... whatever, however y'all are talking about. Vonage...?

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Michael
Date: June 01, 2017 04:33PM
We're on Ooma. Costs something like $3 per month for the taxes.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: June 01, 2017 10:54PM
The problem I have with mobile and Ooma is latency. You can tell that it takes an extra second for what I've said to reach the other end, and vice-versa. So there are lots of false starts and "no, you go ahead's" in calls made that way—enough that I find myself texting or emailing instead. Or calling clients using my "home" landline.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 02, 2017 12:51AM
Mr Downtown
The problem I have with mobile and Ooma is latency. You can tell that it takes an extra second for what I've said to reach the other end, and vice-versa. So there are lots of false starts and "no, you go ahead's" in calls made that way—enough that I find myself texting or emailing instead. Or calling clients using my "home" landline.

I guess you've never used Satcomm...devil smiley
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: June 02, 2017 06:56AM
Optical fiber is replacing copper everywhere.

If there are problems with the copper to your neighborhood, the local telco will replace most of it with a fiber line from the CO to a box near you that translates signals from the fiber to the copper connected to those homes.

The above has been the way my neighborhood since it was built nearly 30 years ago (even though the land has been in the city limits for over 60 years)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 02, 2017 08:17AM
Mr Downtown

I have not experienced any noticeable latency except when first picking up a call. I have to wait a half second or so before saying, "Hello." After that it works like any POTS.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 279
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015