advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
commit to Lightroom?
Posted by: robfilms
Date: June 02, 2017 01:46PM
i'm following up on an earlier thread asking whether my old version of Lightroom 5 was "good enough".

[forums.macresource.com]

in dipping my toe into the Lightroom eco-system, i'm now wondering if i want to commit to Lightroom as my organizing AND basic still digital image edit tool.

i have 43k images in apple's various named pix app: iphoto->photo.

they are stored by years.

maybe 15% are tagged with a keyword or a face name.

i'm not sure i need to go back and re-do all of the rest (85% of 43k=!!!!)

but going forward do i want to use Lightroom as THE tool?

i don't like apple's photo app because it doesn't do enough for me to thoughtfully edit my images. i am not sure i want to head into Photoshop territory but a combo of Lightroom and Photoshop Elements might be effective. Heck, I want to use Google's Nik Collection of filters because some of them look great and that does not seem to be possible with apple's photo tools.

if not Lightroom, what would you suggest?

what photo app organizer do you use with your images?

lastly 43k images might sound like a far amount but i shoot professional motion/video, stills are a sideline.

but recently, that distinct between still and motion has blurred (pun intended!) and i want to up my stills chops and thus my interest in Lightroom.

any and all thoughts are appreciated.

be well.

rob
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: commit to Lightroom?
Date: June 02, 2017 02:19PM
i just found that there is a cheap photo extension app that can be loaded into apple's photo and offer access to external editors like the nik collection.

gosh, this whole adobe photoshop eco-system feels very overwhelming.

i now remember why it was such a turn-off to me.

alternatives like apple's photo app seem too light to be effective but maybe with added extensions allowing access to external editors, maybe apple's photo can be more effective.

and then there are the alternatives outside of apple and adobe.

how about Affinity?

i'm just sayin...

be well.

rob
Posted by: Spiff
Date: June 02, 2017 03:00PM
I recently took the plunge into light room. It was a very steep learning curve. However, after using it for several weeks to a couple of months, things started to become second nature. And besides, everybody's doing it. grinning smiley
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 02, 2017 04:46PM
[forums.macresource.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: June 02, 2017 07:36PM
I guess it depends on whether or not you're willing to buy into Adobe's subscription model (Lightroom CC). They have stopped selling Lr 6 as a standalone product, although you can still buy it on disk via Amazon etc. Not sure about downloads.

I bought Lr 6 (upgrade) when I got my new iMac, and I'm going to stick with it as long as I possibly can because I loathe the idea of becoming a subscriber. Unfortunately all new features and upgrades are for CC only. So far, none of them have been important to me to have; I'm perfectly content with Lr 6 as-is.

Date: June 03, 2017 12:48AM
FWIW, there are thousands of LR presets. Sometimes free, or $10-$20.

Such as: [creativemarket.com]

I dont have an issue with the subscription thing, and LR + PS is $10 a month. Its just another cost of living.

Things just shift. 10 years ago no one had a cell phone with a data plan, or would even think of dropping your land line, or had 2 lines, or an extra one for a fax, or bought paper by the case load, or had 50 MB/s internet and on and on and on.

----

Date: June 03, 2017 07:18AM
jdc-

you continue to make a compelling case for retaining my interest in finally learning how to use lightroom.

though i must admit i am confused by the seemingly daunting learning curve on the adobe eco-system side and some of the newer alternatives that appear to be easier to use.

i am at one of those "fork in the road" moments that i will just have to figure out.

i am very appreciative of those on this forum that continue to share their experiences in areas where i truly am in need of information.

i owe everyone a cup of tea/coffee/beer/wine winking smiley

be well.

rob
Posted by: MEG
Date: June 03, 2017 10:39AM
I feel your pain as I, as an Aperture user, am clinging on. I still can't commit to Lightroom because of the subscription model (even accepting JDC's rationale) and more so that freaking interface that makes me want to punch something everytime I have to switch modules to do something and interrupting my workflow. Realize some of that is probably old dog...new tricks but it's where we are.

You may want to check out On1 PhotoRaw. It's a new (released 6 months ago) full blown all-in-one photo organizer, editor, raw processor, and effects app from a longtime plug-in developer. I feel it's more like Lightroom than Aperture workflow-wise but it's a one time cost (<$100 normally, occasionally on special for $70) and will integrate with Lightroom/Photoshop if you eventually decide to submit to the dark side (will work as a standalone app or integrate with Lightroom/Photoshop as a plug-in). It's not as full featured as the more mature programs (Aperture/Lightroom) are (particularly in the organization/cataloging realm) but they are adding features almost every month in free updates and have plans to address several outstanding feature requests in the short term. I had used several of their plug-ins in Aperture/Photoshop so it's really nice to be able to now use them natively in a non-destructive RAW workflow.

Another option is to jump to PhaseOne's CaptureOne Pro. Routinely judged as having the best RAW engine. And most similar to Aperture in workflow. It's a bit pricey (which if funny to me since the cost now is what I paid for Aperture years ago before Apple/Adobe slashed the prices). One big drawback if you love the plug-ins is that they don't do plug-ins in CaptureOne Pro. Built-in editing options only sad smiley So no easy handoffs to NIK or other plug-in suite.

Which brings me to NIK - it's lasted longer than I thought after Google took them over but they've been "Apertured" also as the recent update on their website states: "We have no plans to update the Collection or add new features over time. "

I was probably going to go toward CaptureOne first but then I came across the new On1 software and since I've used their plug-ins in the past and got in a special low price, figured I'd give that one a college try first.

On1 Photo Raw:
[www.on1.com]

PhaseOne CaptureOne Pro:
[www.phaseone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2017 11:04AM by MEG.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: June 03, 2017 12:13PM
I forgot to mention: I actually enjoy using Lr. It's fun. Easily my favorite software of all.

Date: June 03, 2017 02:48PM
my current lightroom "alternative" workflow might be:

take raw images and duplicate and store on raw only hard drive.

take duplicate raw images and bring them into apple's photo to join the 43k other images i have in apple's photo/iphoto.

quickly do skin healing/removal in photo.

send raw image from photo to nik collection's denoiser.

send to nik collection color adjust and then maybe use an external filter for effect.

export image from nik as tiff and return to apple's photo.

save tiff in photo as edited version of the raw image.

(i might want/need to try affinity or luminar as a layers editor inside of apple's photo.)

well, that's is my current thinking.

i shot a corporate gig this past week.

i need to deliver two dozen images this coming week and hope the above workflow will be adequate.

be well.

rob

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2017 03:26PM by robfilms.
Date: June 03, 2017 05:52PM
Sounds really really really complicated for simple photo retouch process.

Do people still use tiffs?

How are these files being "delivered" -- or maybe the better question is, how are they being used?

4 X 6 in some brochure printed at vista print? meh.

----

Date: June 03, 2017 06:05PM
jdc
Sounds really really really complicated for simple photo retouch process.

Do people still use tiffs?

How are these files being "delivered" -- or maybe the better question is, how are they being used?

4 X 6 in some brochure printed at vista print? meh.

jdc-

if i can manage, the tiff would be used for an ad in the local paper.

but most of the time the images would be used on the client's website.

tiff too much?

jpegs "good enough"?

as for complicated, yeah, it feels that way...and thus my lightroom vs apple's photo edit workflow.

thanks for your thoughts.

be well.

rob
Date: June 03, 2017 06:55PM
LOL the local paper and online? tiff is too much X20. Shooting RAW is overkill.

FWIW, I design a dozen 10.5 x 12" magazines printed at 400 LPI on a glossy stock -- and I only use jpgs. These are high end luxury real estate books -- photography might cost thousands.

The only time I deviate from jpegs is if they image needs extensive editing, then I will save as psd. Continuous jpeg save can cause derogation after many saves.

jpeg compression is so good these days, a doubt if anyone could tell the difference -- and that would only be with some very careful scrutiny.

----

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 193
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020