Toyota Tacoma Double Cab long bed four-wheel-drive pickup
Mazda CX-9 two-wheel-drive SUV
Audi A6 all-wheel-drive car
Jeep Cherokee all-wheel-drive SUV
BMW 535 i and is
BMW 535xi
Lexus RX 350 two-wheel-drive SUV
Lexus CT 200h
Mercedes-Benz M-class SUV (called GLE-class in its current version)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New: 11 safest cars on the road
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 05, 2017 11:08AM
Lexus CT 200h

Really? not sure how that beat anything, its nothing special, just a rebadged Prius/matrix

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 05, 2017 11:29AM
Mazda CX-9 two-wheel-drive SUV

I wonder if the 4WD is less safe than the 2WD version?
Posted by: davester
Date: June 05, 2017 11:29AM
This sounds like a case of GIGO. The selection criteria in the article is as follows:

the safest cars on the road, which was defined by the models without a single fatality over a four-year period.

This is a classic statistical error. A simple statistic such as number of fatalities is very much influenced by the number of passenger miles driven. A statistician would normalize the number to the passenger miles value but these guys didn't do that. Their error would favor models that are either expensive (e.g. BMW, Mercedes, Lexus), with unpopular configurations (i.e. the various 2WD SUVs listed), or low sales models since there are many fewer of them on the road than popular bread-and-butter models. Therefore, this list is completely bogus IMHO.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: June 05, 2017 11:31AM
Buck
These are the 11 safest cars on the road…SUV…SUV…pickup…SUV…SUV…SUV…SUV

I wouldn't feel safe in anything less than this:

Posted by: space-time
Date: June 05, 2017 11:33AM
good point davester, I didn't catch that (I just now read the link).

So CX-9 was based on a Ford platform, now Mazda redesigned it. 2015 and prior are completely different cars from 2016. Which car are they referring to? this list has issues like you pointed out. Thanks
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 05, 2017 03:06PM
jdc
Lexus CT 200h

Really? not sure how that beat anything, its nothing special, just a rebadged Prius/matrix

Me either. We owned one for about 6 months. It sits very low, didn't have enough room in it and the
insurance was killing us. The insurance on it was as much as our Tundra and Tahoe put together. It
rode so low I felt like I was going to get squashed and crappy visibility out the rear.

Grateful11
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 05, 2017 05:00PM
I guess I was thinking this was crash test -- but its not, its "stats" on cars that are in accidents.

pfft, nevermind.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: davester
Date: June 05, 2017 06:43PM
jdc
I guess I was thinking this was crash test -- but its not, its "stats" on cars that are in accidents.

...and incorrect stats at that.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: June 05, 2017 07:07PM
davester
This sounds like a case of GIGO. The selection criteria in the article is as follows:

the safest cars on the road, which was defined by the models without a single fatality over a four-year period.

This is a classic statistical error. A simple statistic such as number of fatalities is very much influenced by the number of passenger miles driven. A statistician would normalize the number to the passenger miles value but these guys didn't do that. Their error would favor models that are either expensive (e.g. BMW, Mercedes, Lexus), with unpopular configurations (i.e. the various 2WD SUVs listed), or low sales models since there are many fewer of them on the road than popular bread-and-butter models. Therefore, this list is completely bogus IMHO.

Yep, your remarks sum it up perfectly.

Posted by: August West
Date: June 05, 2017 07:40PM
davester

Boom goes the dynamite!

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 05, 2017 11:37PM
So, based on their methodology, the safest vehicle to be in is the '70 Buick GSX concept car. It has never crashed, much less kill anyone.

Or the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2017 11:37PM by Racer X.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 08, 2017 03:15PM
Racer X
So, based on their methodology, the safest vehicle to be in is the '70 Buick GSX concept car. It has never crashed, much less kill anyone.

Or the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile.

Not the Weinermobile. It has been in several crashes, although I don't think there were ever any injuries let alone a fatality.

Davester, thanks for setting us straight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 253
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018