Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Sentenced: Penn State admin trio that looked other way in Sandusky child rapes
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 05, 2017 11:10AM
[apnews.com]

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Penn State’s former president and two other ex-administrators were sentenced Friday to at least two months in jail for failing to report a child sexual abuse allegation against Jerry Sandusky a decade before his arrest engulfed the university in scandal and brought down football coach Joe Paterno.

“They ignored the opportunity to put an end to his crimes when they had a chance to do so,” Judge John Boccabella said as he lambasted the three defendants and the Hall of Fame coach over a delay that prosecutors say enabled Sandusky to molest four more boys.

Boccabella said he was “appalled that the common sense to make a phone call did not occur,” a transgression that “sort of robs my faith of who we are as adults and where we are going.”

Former President Graham Spanier, 68, was sentenced to four to 12 months, with the first two in jail and the rest under house arrest. He was convicted of child endangerment.

Former athletic director Tim Curley, 63, received a sentence of seven to 23 months, with three in jail. Former vice president Gary Schultz, 67, was given six to 23 months, with two months behind bars. They pleaded guilty to child endangerment.

The three are to report to jail July 15.

They all apologized in the courtroom to Sandusky’s victims before the sentences were handed down.

Spanier said he regretted that “I did not intervene more forcefully.” Schultz said: “It really sickens me to think I might have played a part in children being hurt.”

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sentenced: Penn State admin trio that looked other way in Sandusky child rapes
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 05, 2017 11:17AM
Not enough time in those sentences...

But the fact that it went to trial, and they got sentenced is something. Not much, but something.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Re: Sentenced: Penn State admin trio that looked other way in Sandusky child rapes
Posted by: Ammo
Date: June 05, 2017 12:04PM
Agreed. The word needs to get out that doing nothing in these types of situations puts you in legal jeopardy.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 05, 2017 12:17PM
Ammo
Agreed. The word needs to get out that doing nothing in these types of situations puts you in legal jeopardy.
agree smiley
I'll also add that such a situation should follow someone's career like a millstone around their neck. Failing to protect children when acting in loco parentis is, IMHO, cause to totally destroy an adult's life. Because numerous children's lives were destroyed because they looked the other way.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: June 05, 2017 12:32PM
These are the people that should shoulder the responsibility for the mistakes made in this debacle. I'm glad they got time but I wish it had been more.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: polychrome
Date: June 05, 2017 01:12PM
What these guys got is barely a slap on the wrist.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: June 05, 2017 02:52PM
cbelt3
Ammo
agree smiley
I'll also add that such a situation should follow someone's career like a millstone around their neck. Failing to protect children when acting in loco parentis is, IMHO, cause to totally destroy an adult's life. Because numerous children's lives were destroyed because they looked the other way.

They should have to register as sex offenders. They enabled this to happen.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: June 05, 2017 03:14PM
cbelt3
Ammo
agree smiley

But those guys are already 63, 67 and 68 so the bulk of their careers has already taken place. They preserved their careers (and wealth) by keeping their mouths shut. Part of their punishment should be surrendering all of the wealth they accrued during the period they knew about these crimes.

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 05, 2017 03:34PM
"I'll also add that such a situation should follow someone's career like a millstone around their neck."

Nah. They should have no problem getting a job at Baylor.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 05, 2017 04:42PM
Paul F.
Not enough time in those sentences...

But the fact that it went to trial, and they got sentenced is something. Not much, but something.

agree smiley I think a lot of judges would have given out suspended sentences. Hopefully this sends a message to administrators everywhere.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: artie67
Date: June 05, 2017 07:14PM
Related but without comment. Wife has been watching "The Keepers".
Here's a link for a review. It's not an easy watch.

[www.nytimes.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018