advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Remembering those who gave so much 73 years ago...
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 06, 2017 07:55AM
I am thankful for the brave service personnel who gave SO much 73 years ago. Thank you all for your service and sacrifice! patriot smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Remembering those who gave so much 73 years ago...
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 06, 2017 08:33AM
I lost a great uncle in that battle.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 06, 2017 08:42AM
hail smiley so many gave their all that the evil of the Axis would perish from the earth.
Posted by: samintx
Date: June 06, 2017 09:03AM
patriot smiley
WWII was very real to me. I didn't have brothers but so many of the boys in my small Kansas town were on the beaches on this day. Some came home. Some didn't. It was a magnificient armada that braved those beaches. I was lucky enuf to be able to visit Normany and the area. I could not hold back the tears seeing all those white crosses . Bless our boys and give strength to their families.patriot smiley
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: June 06, 2017 09:13AM
It's nice to remember D-Day, but lots of guys also waded ashore on Pacific atolls, never to return. I guess the anniversary dates of those landings aren't as memorable or cinematic, though.

Maybe we should designate a day in late May to honor all those who died for the country. And another in mid-November to recognize all those who served.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 06, 2017 09:29AM
Men and woman died everyday in the fight against fascism. While the major battles are remembered - events like D-Day, Midway, The Bulge and Okinawa - we must never forget the individuals who died in unnamed skirmishes, in the skies flying bombing missions, beneath the waves being pounded by depth charges, even those who died preparing for battle during training. Everyone of those souls stepped forward and willingly made the ultimate sacrifice for something they believed in and loved.

Salute the vets of D-Day, Midway, and Saipan, all began during the month of June, but there are so many more that fell anonymous to history. The must be remembered as well.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: June 06, 2017 10:28AM
Artist stencils the "Fallen 9000" on Normandy beach:

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Jamie Wardley and Andy Moss
“‘The Fallen’ is a sobering reminder of what happens when peace is not present,” Wardley said in the release. “The idea is to create a visual representation of what is otherwise unimaginable — the thousands of human lives lost during the hours of the tide during the WWII Normandy landings on 6 June, 1944.”

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: particleman
Date: June 06, 2017 12:28PM
Mr Downtown
It's nice to remember D-Day, but lots of guys also waded ashore on Pacific atolls, never to return. I guess the anniversary dates of those landings aren't as memorable or cinematic, though.

Maybe we should designate a day in late May to honor all those who died for the country. And another in mid-November to recognize all those who served.

The D-Day Museum, now the National WWII Museum, in New Orleans was originally set up to do just that. It noted landing actions throughout the European and Pacific Theaters. I recommend a visit. Plan to spend several hours.

[support.nationalww2museum.org]
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 06, 2017 03:58PM
Below is my late Father behind the wheel somewhere in Europe, probably Austria. He was in mostly Austria and Switzerland.
He and his three brothers all served during WWII. One uncle was a Medic and helped liberate one of the
concentration camps. Another had a clerical position in Europe and the other was a SeaBee in the Navy
and was on Tinian Island. He and another guy were to make sure the runway lighting generators were kept
running no matter what. He later found out it was the first atomic bomb headed for Japan. Somehow all
four brothers made it home. My uncle that was the Medic I think was bothered the most by the war.
Dad said has brother had nightmares all the time about it. Very rarely did any of them talk about it except
amongst themselves.

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2017 04:15PM by Grateful11.
Posted by: maco
Date: June 06, 2017 06:38PM
An interesting D-Day story:

Bill Millin is best remembered for playing the pipes whilst under fire during the D-Day landing in Normandy.[4] Pipers had traditionally been used in battle by Scottish and Irish soldiers.[5] However, the use of bagpipes was restricted to rear areas by the time of the Second World War by the British Army. Lovat, nevertheless, ignored these orders and ordered Millin, then aged 21, to play. When Private Millin demurred, citing the regulations, he recalled later, Lord Lovat replied: "Ah, but that’s the English War Office. You and I are both Scottish, and that doesn’t apply."

[en.wikipedia.org]

Interview:
[youtu.be]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 149
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018