Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Swapped out optical for second HD, got external drive now...trouble
Posted by: dmag
Date: June 06, 2017 07:58AM
Hi,

I did the Data Doubler install of a second HD in the optical slot, then put the optical in an enclosure. The overall benefit with SSD drive is huge, but there's trouble with playing DVDs.

Before going further, recording of CDs and DVDs is okay (so far).

OWC support said to use VLC and while it will play the DVD once you click on the VOB file, this is a bit clunky. I'm looking for an app that will replicate the Apple iDVD player, which recognizes the DVD, launches, loads and plays it automatically.

The OWC guys really have no answers and I'm not hitting it with the right search terms, if indeed there is a solution. Figured I'd ask the certifiably most intelligent Mac guys on the planet — dat's you.

If you've gone this route with the optical in an enclosure and figured a way to play DVDs like before when the optical drive was built in, please let me know what you found to play them.

Thanks much.
-------------------
Mid-2012 MBP running 10.12.4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2017 08:00AM by dmag.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Swapped out optical for second HD, got external drive now...trouble
Posted by: zachdog
Date: June 06, 2017 08:11AM
Yes, for some reason Apple does not allow external optical drives to work on Macs that come with internal optical drives from the factory. A set of commands in Terminal will fix this:

[hints.macworld.com]
Date: June 06, 2017 08:51AM
Thanks. I'm running some project work today and tomorrow. I'll wait for that to finish before I try the Terminal fix. Hopefully it's still viable under Sierra.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 06, 2017 03:24PM
zachdog
Yes, for some reason Apple does not allow external optical drives to work on Macs that come with internal optical drives from the factory. A set of commands in Terminal will fix this:

[hints.macworld.com]

I have an external optical drive hooked up to my 2010 iMac. It works just fine.
Date: June 06, 2017 05:01PM
Some models are good, some others have issues due to how they coded the OS. Looks like you escaped unharmed. My issue is in the MBP recognizing the drive in playing certain recorded media.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 06, 2017 05:18PM
Hopefully zdog's link will help, but FWIW, we've used some full size external optical drives w/o problems before & after pulling the internal optical drive in favor of more storage (both MBP & Mini). Have not tried repurposing the pulled opticals because of the issues many people seem to note online. That makes me think there may be something burned into the internal optical's ROM that controls/interferes w/ how it works when connected externally after being pulled. IOW, if you have access to a full size external optical, maybe try it for add'l data points. Good luck.
==
Date: June 06, 2017 06:49PM
Buzz
Hopefully zdog's link will help, but FWIW, we've used some full size external optical drives w/o problems before & after pulling the internal optical drive in favor of more storage (both MBP & Mini). Have not tried repurposing the pulled opticals because of the issues many people seem to note online. That makes me think there may be something burned into the internal optical's ROM that controls/interferes w/ how it works when connected externally after being pulled. IOW, if you have access to a full size external optical, maybe try it for add'l data points. Good luck.
==

Thanks, Buzz. Yeah, either the ROM or just a quirk in the OS. I wish OWC was more on top of this, given that they're selling this solution in tandem with Data Doubler.

A full size external is an option and I'll do that if necessary. Prior to that I'll see what I can do about extracting the video and running it into Keynote. Hopefully that will work out...if not the Terminal fix.
Date: June 06, 2017 06:53PM
zachdog

[hints.macworld.com]

Question on doing this...is there any risk involved? I'll be backed up but what would I enter into Terminal to return the system back to where it is now — if anything strange happens?
Posted by: Golfer
Date: June 06, 2017 07:51PM
I use 0xED to open the /System/Library/Frameworks/DVDPlayback.framework/Versions/A file and edit all the "internal" commands "external" and DVD Player works like a champ.

Here is a write up on it.
Date: June 06, 2017 09:47PM
Golfer
I use 0xED to open the /System/Library/Frameworks/DVDPlayback.framework/Versions/A file and edit all the "internal" commands "external" and DVD Player works like a champ.

Here is a write up on it.

Hey Golfer, how long ago did you do this and on which system? I caught a reference on another site that it doesn't work with Sierra. Thanks.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: June 06, 2017 10:02PM
dmag
OWC support said to use VLC and while it will play the DVD once you click on the VOB file, this is a bit clunky.

Drag-drop the DVD's disc-icon onto the VLC app icon in your Dock.

Date: June 06, 2017 10:32PM
Onamuji
dmag
OWC support said to use VLC and while it will play the DVD once you click on the VOB file, this is a bit clunky.

Drag-drop the DVD's disc-icon onto the VLC app icon in your Dock.

Thanks. It works but not like the Apple DVD player, which loads and plays the DVD automatically. VLC is good as a backup. I'm just trying to get normal functionality back to the drive. Appreciate the reply.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2017 10:33PM by dmag.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 224
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018