advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any alternative to Toast for audio CD burning? (Or maybe the issue is with something else)
Posted by: clay
Date: June 07, 2017 12:39PM
I know "nobody burns CDs anymore", but I have to for several clients. I have used Toast (currently on version 11.2, Mac OS 10.11.6) for years, and it has generally worked fine. Just had a project that has me scratching my head with Toast apparently mixing up tracks...it would display what look like the correct tracks in the correct order, but several of the tracks were actually playing from different files.

So it would display this in Toast's track listing before burning:

Track 1 name
Track 2 name
Track 3 name
and so on

But if you click on "Track 1 name" to preview play it before burning, it might play the audio from "Track 5 audio" or something. It's like it couldn't maintain the correct linkage after the track was dragged into its window. And, actually, if I double clicked "Track 1 name" to bring up the "get info" window in Toast, it would display the information from "Track 5 audio".

This happened for a handful of tracks on a 21 track disc that I burned this morning.

Now that I think about it, this may somehow relate...

I started this project on my laptop, put all the materials in dropbox so that I could open on my iMac as well to do the disc burning. Both macs have the same username, dropbox folder is in the same location, etc. When I first opened up my saved toast file (the "playlist" for the burn) in Toast, it kept asking me to relink files that it couldn't find, which I thought was odd. I had to do this every time I opened up the toast file. Finally, I did a "save as" and renamed the toast file and the issue appeared to go away. But, obviously, there was something still not "right" about the linkages. Perhaps something went awry in conjunction with dropbox syncing of all the files, or perhaps things were additionally confused because both my laptop and desktop use the same username, and perhaps Toast saw the identical file path and assumed it was the same machine, etc. Who knows.

Not quite sure how all of this relates, but I think I've gotten this project fixed and now squared away. But I am left not trusting my method of work for this project (one that repeats 2x each year) and wondering what I should do to fix it for next time.

I know this is a long and convoluted post, but I'd be open to hear what you folks might advise. Thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2017 12:40PM by clay.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any alternative to Toast for audio CD burning? (Or maybe the issue is with something else)
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 07, 2017 12:43PM
Can you just not use OSX built in burning?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Re: Any alternative to Toast for audio CD burning? (Or maybe the issue is with something else)
Date: June 07, 2017 12:47PM
can you do the following with built-in OS X burning?

Track 1
pause of 3 seconds
Track 2
pause of 0 seconds
Track 3
pause of 0 seconds
Track 4
pause of 5 seconds

etc...

I'm not aware of that amount of control in any of the burning capable products that Apple offers.
Posted by: wurm
Date: June 07, 2017 12:48PM
I've been using LiquidCD when I need to burn a CD at work (no Toast). [liquidcd.en.softonic.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 07, 2017 12:52PM
....used Toast on older machines but when got newer machine with new OS that did not work with the older version of Toast.....didn't think it was worth it to buy a new version of Toast.....now use Burn for the few audio CD that I burn and dvds that I burn....but for simple burns [ nothing complicated ].....

.......not sure if it will work for you......

it is free...............?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2017 01:02PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: June 07, 2017 01:38PM
Clay,

I use iTunes to burn our FL music group's performance to CDs for each of the group. I was recording the performance with my MBP for 2 years, and burning via iTunes.

This past year the park recorded our performance for us, but gave us the results in a DVD. I had to pull off the audio with Audacity.app and then export it as mp4. Ran that through iTunes to burn an "audio CD" that will play in almost any CD player. You can get about an hour and a half of music on one CD.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on several OSes and an ego trip.
Posted by: particleman
Date: June 07, 2017 02:35PM
Can you build a playlist in iTunes? Then either burn the CDs from there or burn one from iTunes and use Toast to make multiple copies.
Date: June 07, 2017 02:38PM
particleman
Can you build a playlist in iTunes? Then either burn the CDs from there or burn one from iTunes and use Toast to make multiple copies.

Yes, but without the flexibility for controlling pauses/breaks between tracks, it does not fit the bill for my needs.
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: June 07, 2017 06:04PM
Sounds like it was a problem with changing computers. Can you just try the complete process on one computer and see how that works?
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 07, 2017 10:40PM
Burn directs from laptop, use remote disk.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 296
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015