Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Clone a Time Machine backup?
Posted by: clyde
Date: June 09, 2017 10:35PM
I'm using a 2009 hard drive in an external case for Time Machine backup. That drive is probably nearing the end of its life.

Can I clone the Time Machine material on that drive to a new drive for use with Time Machine?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Clone a Time Machine backup?
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: June 09, 2017 10:59PM
Carbon Copy Cloner will not do it. Bombich blocked it.

SuperDuper *may* do it. Not sure that it's a feature so much as something they haven't focused on to any extent.

Per Apple, Time Machine data can be transferred via a normal Finder copy-operation. I'm not confident that this is reliably so.
[support.apple.com]

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 09, 2017 11:32PM
I would just start backing up to the new drive, and keep the old one handy for a few months, until it becomes irrelevant...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 10, 2017 05:28AM
Paul F.
I would just start backing up to the new drive, and keep the old one handy for a few months, until it becomes irrelevant...

agree smiley

A few days ago, Time Machime refused to connect to its' normal back up disk. This is about the third time this has happened (over a period of years and, with different back up disks). Currently, the 1TB SSD in my 17" MBP backs up to a 3TB Apple Time Capsule. 800+GB took ~6 hours to create a new TM back up from scratch. I have NO idea WHY TM goes wonky on me from time to time. dunno smiley
Posted by: Bixby
Date: June 10, 2017 06:56AM
I've used straight finder copy to do it, no problems.
Posted by: numbered
Date: June 10, 2017 10:44AM

Carbon Copy Cloner will not do it. Bombich blocked it.

So, for curiosity's sake, why did Mike Bombich disable a Time Machine clone?
Posted by: liya1201
Date: June 10, 2017 01:33PM
Have been moving TimeMachine to other drives several times. Just want to share my experiences.

Straight finder copy a TimeMachine to another drive never worked for me. The only way I found reliable is to make an Image of the old TM drive first by Disk Utility and restore the Image to another drive. You will need at least two big enough drives to do this. Rebuilding directory of TM drive by DiskWarrior is usually helpful to create a TM Image.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 257
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015