advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Suggestions for a new gas range
Posted by: abevilac
Date: June 10, 2017 09:47PM
My husband and I just bought a home which we will renovate before we move in. The gas range is quite old so I've been looking around for a new one. . Our current home has a Kenmore Elite 36" dual fuel bought in 2001 which has been great. I went to Sears for the new one but I didn't like the quality of any of their current models.

We're looking for a 30" dual fuel by preference but all gas would be fine too. I like the kind with the iron grates that span the entire top as I've got a lot of heavy pots that I'd like to be able to shift off a burner easily.

My budget is about $3K. Does anyone have a range they really like to suggest ? I've looked at Costco and Consumer Reports and Amazon and I find the reviews conflicting.

Thanks for your help.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Suggestions for a new gas range
Posted by: Carm
Date: June 10, 2017 10:17PM
We have a Bosch we bought at Lowe's, 5 burner. Cooktop. Oven and microwave combo are on a separate wall. Wife loves it. Ours is 36"
Runs around $1K on sale. They also have the 30"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2017 10:25PM by Carm.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 11, 2017 12:36AM
Depends on your area, but there can be some great used bargains on Craig's list.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 11, 2017 01:58AM
Contrary to your statement, I found the new Kenmore Elite and Kenmore Pro 30" drop-in ranges to be pretty darn spiffy. Plus, with their regular sales and coupons, you'd only be out less than $800 (plus possible install and haul away). What was it about the current stuff you found offputting? Other than full width grates, any other special features desired?
==
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 11, 2017 04:40AM
Has your old home sold? If not, pull that stove and put a different one in there.

I used to be a fan of Kenmore (we have a 12-year-old Kenmore gas stove), but with all the issues Sears is having, I am leery of the brand. At some point Sears will sell the brand off, then the warranty and service will be with who knows. Just something to consider.

Edit - also see if there is a Searsoutlet in your area. They have some tremendous deals at times. My sone got a floor model dishwasher for half of Lowes price. Even scratch and dent is worth looking at - I've seen dents on the back or side panels that would be hidden by cabinets go for 60% off retail. The selection is limited to what they have, but it is all brands that Sears sells.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2017 07:35AM by Ombligo.
Posted by: MacJeepster
Date: June 11, 2017 06:06AM
We have a 5-burner Whirlpool we bought year-old on closeout at Lowe's (the workers didn't even know it was in the store; it didn't show on their computers. I found it via their website). Got it for about $900.
The feature I like the best is the 2 back burners are "Accu-simmer," meaning you can set them exceedingly low (lower than the other burners) and they will hold it. This allows me to simmer something without burning or creating a crust on the bottom. Even rice never sticks to the bottom.
I didn't know about this feature when I bought the range; now I wouldn't buy one without it.

-mj
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 11, 2017 07:32AM
Abe,

I'd be leery of Kenmore, not due to the hardware - it's made by one of the big manufacturers - but because of issues with Sears. Stick to a different brand. My absolute favorite range is the Electrolux Wave-Touch Gas only model. Worked great for everything from baking to roasting to broiling to cooking anything on the cooktop. Had to go gas only because my apartment didn't have the juice available for a dual-fuel model.

Unfortunately, Consumer Reports is still the best place to use as a starting point for reviews on major appliances. I'd jump there, check out their articles and work my way to other review sites. The usual caveats apply. The recommended brands vary depending on the kind of range. Samsung and GE seems to be getting the best marks across the types. Kenmore did well as did LG.

Robert
Posted by: srf1957
Date: June 11, 2017 09:52AM
Sears repair service is now semi standalone . They bought the rights to Wards repair a long time ago . Around here they also do Home Depot warranty repair in vans that say A&E .
Posted by: Fritz
Date: June 11, 2017 09:53AM
I suggest looking around appliance411, appliantology and appliance parts pros forums, see what grief levels are like of late.

We've had good experience with Whirlpool and their badges and re-badges (Thermador).
Some of Kenmores line was once made by Whirlpool as well, though I dunno now.
I avoid GE and they have bought and sold.
Bosch only because it isn't well represented in some places in the US.

At $3k you should have plenty of quality choices.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: artie67
Date: June 11, 2017 02:12PM
We recently purchased a 30" Samsung NX58H5600SS. The NX58 series has about 5 models that range from $700 to $2000. The 5600SS had all the features we wanted for $1000.
It has 4 round burners with a elongated oval burner in the center. I comes with a removable (store in drawer under oven) griddle. Large oven with convection fan which is switchable on/off on back splash control panel.
We purchased from Lowes and 5% off and got with card. We added an extra 2 years to the 1 year warranty. Added new gas line and got free delivery, install, and haul away.
Samsung doesn't have a good support reputation and Lowes will handle the unit for all 3 years.
Note: this unit was rated #4 in class below #3 GE model at $2550 and
2 more Samsungs at #2 $2000 and #1 $1600. Both are NX58 series.
Posted by: billb
Date: June 11, 2017 02:42PM
I'd buy a $500 range if I could do gas and invest the other $2,500.00.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018