Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $145.62 ( -0.01 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
window installation question
Posted by: BernDog
Date: June 18, 2017 02:50PM
I'm installing a couple egress windows in my basement. The installation directions specify that I use liquid applied flashing as part of the installation process. I was having a hard time figuring out exactly what type of product they were referencing until I found this article: [www.greenbuildingadvisor.com]

This article lists about a dozen different products, but none of them are available locally. The article itself also states these products may be hard to find. Is there some other product that would be acceptable to be used as liquid flashing for window installation in a masonry wall that's easier to find? The instructions just throw "liquid applied flashing" out there like it's no big deal, but apparently it is.

I have a number of home centers to pick from in my area including Lowe's, Home Depot, and Menards. Nothing I see in their inventories seems quite the same as what's sounds like liquid flashing, but there are so many other products, my head is swimming. Any advice?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: window installation question
Posted by: Carm
Date: June 18, 2017 03:03PM
The question you need to ask is why do they prefer liquid applied flashing. Is it because it's "idiot proof"? I've installed many exterior doors and windows always using peel and stick flashing. No problems.
Date: June 18, 2017 03:14PM
The instructions for a framed wall use standard flashing, and for masonry they give liquid applied. The little info I could find sounds pretty good, and, yes, idiot proof.

My included instructions are vague, but the PDF available online says Protecto Wrap LWM 200 or equivalent.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: June 18, 2017 03:16PM
[www.jlconline.com]

Yeah, I'd go with fool-proof; but as anyone knows, fools can be so ingenious...
Posted by: bik
Date: June 18, 2017 03:18PM
[www.homedepot.com]

This is sold as roof repair, but it's the same purpose – filling gaps with waterproof material, including around masonry chimneys and skylights.

Available as a paste in a bucket or in a smaller tube for a caulking gun.
Date: June 18, 2017 03:29PM
bik
[www.homedepot.com]

This is sold as roof repair, but it's the same purpose – filling gaps with waterproof material, including around masonry chimneys and skylights.

Available as a paste in a bucket or in a smaller tube for a caulking gun.

Thanks! I've looked at that and a lot of similar sounding products. One vote for Henry Wet Patch.
Date: June 18, 2017 03:33PM
MikeF
[www.jlconline.com]

Yeah, I'd go with fool-proof; but as anyone knows, fools can be so ingenious...

Good article, thanks! That one, as well as the link I gave, list numerous products that aren't available locally and/or to the layman.

I just find it perplexing that the instructions for a window bought in a store recommend a product that's so much harder to buy.
Posted by: billb
Date: June 18, 2017 03:49PM
HD here ( nor Lowes ) neither has the thin paint with a brush stuff but they do have (DAP or LOCTITE) polyurethane roof and flashing sealant in caulking gun tubes. It's thicker and gets troweled flat with a plastic spatula
STicks to just about everything but EDPM rubber, iirc.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin

BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Posted by: Carm
Date: June 18, 2017 03:59PM
BernDog
I just find it perplexing that the instructions for a window bought in a store recommend a product that's so much harder to buy.

I just had to purchase parts at Home Depot and shelves at Lowe's. Lowes had the shelves I wanted but plastic hangers, not the metal ones I preferred. So two stores for a closet shelve redo.

As for the other roofing stuff for the masonry. That would work from what I've read.
Date: June 18, 2017 04:07PM
Thanks all. I'm going to wait a little longer to see if anyone else chimes in with any reasons I should or shouldn't use one of the already mentioned products. FWIW, in not super worried. I'll have covers over my window wells. The old ones I took out (with makeshift covers) had been there since 1936. We've been here for 14 years and we never had any moisture or flooding problems. They were crappy metal frames with single pane glass. I'm sure whatever I'd do, considering it'll also be covered, will perform at least as well.
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: June 18, 2017 05:36PM
Totally waterproof. 3M 5200 or Sikaflex, both polyurethanes. Use it underwater on boats.
This is from personal experience - been a boatbuilder for 35 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2017 08:20AM by nwyaker.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 18, 2017 07:32PM
5200 is some crazy good stuff. Sometimes used to glue a keel to a sailboat.
Posted by: chopper
Date: June 18, 2017 07:39PM
Great Stuff?
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: June 18, 2017 08:18PM
About all I know is that the polyurethane mess is great. That is some tough stuff.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 19, 2017 12:47AM
Scanning marine sites for how 3M 5200 is used, I found this page that has a sealant application chart: [www.westmarine.com]

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: June 19, 2017 08:21AM
Racer X

That would be a stretch. Keels are bolted on or encapsulated.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 19, 2017 08:28AM
.....Windows 10.....??

....try installing macOS High Sierra instead.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: bruceko
Date: June 19, 2017 12:56PM
Check a local roofing supply or lumber yard and ask for a liquid applied flashing for an Air Barrier systems. Typically used on exterior walls
Sika, Wr meadows Vapro shield all have it as an accessory for their air Barrier system
Posted by: billb
Date: June 19, 2017 01:19PM
Racer X

You have to be real careful where you use that bonding adhesive. If you ever have to separate the bonded items you usually have to destroy one to save the other and then grind the 5200 off.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin

BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 19, 2017 10:54PM
nwyaker
Racer X

That would be a stretch. Keels are bolted on or encapsulated.

You have obviously never been a Sea Scout! smiley-rpg028
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 276
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015