Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $159.98 ( +0.20 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Upgrading Mac OS - a couple of questions
Posted by: wurm
Date: June 18, 2017 06:38PM
Funny how what starts out as a simple thing gets less simple as one gets into it. Let me 'splain.

My wife has been complaining mentioning that her iPhone 6 keeps telling her it's full and she can't download anything. Well, it's only a 16GB, but she's already deleted almost all her photos, she doesn't keep any music on it and has maybe a couple dozen apps. If we look at "Manage Storage" and add up everything, it's less than a gig. Yet the phone says there's only 81MB available.

So after some googling, I figured I'd just back it up and reset everything, then restore. Except when I try to hook it up to her Macbook to do so, iTunes says it can't. Turns out her iOS (10.0.2) is incompatible with her Macbook's OS. (Didn't even realize it because she has never backed up her iPhone.)

So now I'm in the process of backing up her Macbook (Snow Leopard) before I install Mavericks from my bootable Flash Drive installer.

I guess my main question now is whether it makes sense to do a Clean Install with Mavericks. It's been so long since I installed an OS, I'm wondering what warnings you all might have for me before I dive in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2017 06:41PM by wurm.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Upgrading Mac OS - a couple of questions
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: June 18, 2017 07:10PM
Can you install it on an external drive for her to try out? You could clone the current system to the external, and upgrade the clone to see how that works out. If it's problematic, go with a clean Mavs.

iTunes 12 is not my favorite app, to put it mildly.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 18, 2017 07:24PM
Sounds like a great candidate for the $1 iCloud backup plan - no mac needed.

Backup the entire iPhone to iCloud -/ erase then restore. You can do a full restore from iCloud backup.

After that make sure she has photos saving to iCloud and use photostream to view them

There are also some tricks to getting storage back -- like renting a movie -- then deleting.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: June 18, 2017 07:39PM
Thanks for the ideas. I'm less concerned about her trying it out, since we have Mavs running on two other Macs in the house and they've been fine. It's been a pretty solid OS for us in general. Funny you mention iCloud, jdc. She's never even turned it on.
Date: June 18, 2017 08:23PM
iCloud is simple to use and for $1 the price is right. My wife and kids aren't even aware I have it setup -- but it's the first thing I did.

When the wife got her new iPhone 7 last year it was as simple logging in and restore from iCloud backup. Was like she never even left

----

Date: June 18, 2017 08:41PM
I probably should know, but I don't. And since you brought it up, what is it, $1/mo.? $1 Yr? $1 one time?
And for how much storage?

Never mind. I found it. $1/mo. for 50GB. If we use it at all, the 5GB for free would probably be fine. We don't take many pics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2017 08:51PM by wurm.
Date: June 18, 2017 08:53PM
The 50 GB lets you store everything -- a full phone backup -- 5 GB wont...

----

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 19, 2017 12:54AM
Try to rent a movie that doesn't fit:
PSA: Weird Trick that Actually Works - How to Free Up HUUUUGE Space on Your iDevice [forums.macresource.com]

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: June 19, 2017 07:00AM
wurm
Thanks for the ideas. I'm less concerned about her trying it out, since we have Mavs running on two other Macs in the house and they've been fine. It's been a pretty solid OS for us in general. Funny you mention iCloud, jdc. She's never even turned it on.

You'd mainly want to see if upgrading the current Snow Leopard system is going to work out well. It might turn out that a clean install of Mavs would be better.
Posted by: tronnei
Date: June 19, 2017 08:44AM
Filliam H. Muffman
PSA: Weird Trick that Actually Works - How to Free Up HUUUUGE Space on Your iDevice [forums.macresource.com]

I've done that but it never freed up as much space as the backup-delete-restore trick.

And really, WTF is wrong with Apple that it doesn't have a "delete all cache" feature in iOS? Jumping through hoops to clear storage space should not be necessary.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 19, 2017 11:01AM
tronnei
Filliam H. Muffman

I've done that but it never freed up as much space as the backup-delete-restore trick.

Can you please post a link to the procedure?

tronnei
And really, WTF is wrong with Apple that it doesn't have a "delete all cache" feature in iOS? Jumping through hoops to clear storage space should not be necessary.

I understand they want to keep it locked down and keep people (or their kids) from accidentally doing stupid things, but this should be easily done and listed prominently in the online manual. The other thing is it was ridiculous for Apple to sell a 16 GB phone when an OS update can fill almost half of that.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: tronnei
Date: June 19, 2017 12:02PM
Filliam H. Muffman
tronnei
Filliam H. Muffman

Can you please post a link to the procedure?

Do an iTunes backup, then restore the phone using that backup.

[support.apple.com]
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 19, 2017 05:48PM
wurm
Never mind. I found it. $1/mo. for 50GB. If we use it at all, the 5GB for free would probably be fine. We don't take many pics.

Like jdc said, it will want to back up the whole phone. And 5GB isn't enough so it will start nagging you that iCloud doesn't have enough capacity and "this iPhone hasn't been backed up in xx weeks."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 288
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015