advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"Cats are an extreme outlier among domestic animals"
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 19, 2017 10:58PM

Today, cats still share our homes and food, and for thousands of years they have worked alongside farmers and sailors to eradicate vermin. If we haven't domesticated cats, what exactly have we done to them?

To find out, University of Leuven geneticist Claudio Ottoni worked with a large international team of researchers to analyze the mitochondrial DNA of more than 200 ancient and modern cats, spanning the past 9,000 years. Mitochondrial DNA is inherited unchanged solely from the mother, and it is often used to trace the ancestry of different species.

Writing in Nature Ecology & Evolution, Ottoni and his colleagues report that five distinct clades of ancient cats rapidly spread outward from relatively small origin points. Over millennia, the clades from Egypt and Southwest Asia began to dominate the world. Mostly this was due to the spread of agriculture. Farming practices that began in the Levant and Western Asia took hold elsewhere, attracting rodents to grain stores. That, in turn, attracted wildcats, who eventually joined farming communities as companions—just as ancient dogs had joined hunting parties in the Paleolithic.

Then the researchers started to see weird data points, like an Egyptian cat at a Viking sea port during the Middle Ages, and Asian cats at a Roman Red Sea port during the height of the Roman Empire.
=====> [arstechnica.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Cats are an extreme outlier among domestic animals"
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 19, 2017 11:37PM
What, cats can't hitch rides??

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 19, 2017 11:38PM
No, they don't have thumbs dummy!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 19, 2017 11:48PM
Racer X

OK, then, book working passage as mousers?

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: June 20, 2017 12:09AM
"Or maybe cats will continue to defy domestication. They could carve out a place as one of the only animals to befriend humans without ever falling completely under our control."

Sums up why I like cats.

Date: June 20, 2017 12:43AM
My cats choose to be here. The door is open much of the day spring through fall.
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 20, 2017 04:50AM
Dogs have owners, cats have staff. boink smiley
Posted by: DP
Date: June 20, 2017 06:36AM
Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

Ain't that the truth!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: June 20, 2017 07:41AM
I just wish that cats would figure out a way to make a litter box/litter completely odorless.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 20, 2017 07:44AM
One of our cats is very domesticated, at tiems demanding to be picked up and held, at other times calculating what you're thinking when a morself of food may be stolen. The other one - lets jus say he tests the limits in a much less sympathetic way.

Posted by: rgG
Date: June 20, 2017 08:03AM
Lizabeth
I just wish that cats would figure out a way to make a litter box/litter completely odorless.

If you feed a raw diet, the poop doesn't smell hardly at all. Now the pee still smells a little, but it is amazing how little the poop smells when kitty eats a raw diet.

Our new, we have had him about a year, about 9 year old senior kitty is the most cuddly kitty I have ever seen. He loves to be on you or very close to you almost all the time.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 20, 2017 09:48AM
rgG
If you feed a raw diet, the poop doesn't smell hardly at all. Now the pee still smells a little, but it is amazing how little the poop smells when kitty eats a raw diet.

I can confirm this!

...need to get back on that. I fed them raw for a while but the company moved from upstate ny to florida and then changed their packaging. Had several deliveries of rotting meat. USPS makes sure you get your package under those circumstances.

rgG - what raw food do you get?

Date: June 20, 2017 10:20AM
Of our 3 cats, one's pee smells very little, another average I suppose, the third is absolutely appalling.

Odd, as all 3 eat the same thing. Just different body chemistry I suppose. LOTS of fresh water for them too, so it isn't a concentration thing.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 20, 2017 10:36AM
....some cats are better at minding their Ps........and Qs.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 20, 2017 02:18PM
mattkime
rgG

I can confirm this!

...need to get back on that. I fed them raw for a while but the company moved from upstate ny to florida and then changed their packaging. Had several deliveries of rotting meat. USPS makes sure you get your package under those circumstances.

rgG - what raw food do you get?

We get Blue Ridge Beef "Kitten Mix." It is in those frozen log looking things. I just slice each log up into a daily portion. There is also a mix that you can get, can't remember the name of it right now, that you mix with raw chicken, or beef, or pork or whatever meat you want. We did that for a while, but the frozen logs are easier. We have a pet food place right around the corner that orders it for me once a month.
They have a lot of choices in raw, but the Kitten Mix is the only one that you don't need to add taurine or anything too, as it has organ meat in it. Here is the link where you can see if there is a dealer near you.

[www.blueridgebeef.com]

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 20, 2017 03:13PM
Racer X
Of our 3 cats, one's pee smells very little, another average I suppose, the third is absolutely appalling.

Odd, as all 3 eat the same thing. Just different body chemistry I suppose. LOTS of fresh water for them too, so it isn't a concentration thing.

Ask your vet about it being a urinary tract infection.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 20, 2017 03:39PM
.....this thread sure is poopular......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 20, 2017 06:36PM
Cats are as domesticated as THEY want to be. Some choose their attitude for certain reasons, and others choose differently. It's kinda more up to humans to accept and understand the felines, rather than the other way around. We had a variety of cats growing up, and all had their quirks. Luckily we had Leo, an orange tabby that proved the goodness of cats. Leo knew everybody by name, and all the rooms in the house, and would go where you told him to fetch people for meals, or whatever.

To prove his independent streak, he liked to sit on the living room couch when nobody was looking, and would (usually) move when he heard someone coming... the only thing was, I don't think he ever realized that he shed and left a tell-tale impression on the soft, down-filled cushions. He always used his litter box, or asked to go outside, never scratched the furniture, and would go wherever you told him if guests were over, and someone didn't want him hanging out in that room. But there was always his favorite spots on the living room couch to let us know who was really in control.
==
Date: June 20, 2017 08:54PM
Speedy
Racer X

Ask your vet about it being a urinary tract infection.

Yeah, he was a hobo cat until he moved in. Had been fixed, and reasonably socialized. Much better now. Very affectionate when the older girl kitty isn't around.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: June 23, 2017 07:18AM
If they had thumbs they'd take over the world!

(more so than they already have...)

Racer X
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 199
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020