advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $150.03 ( -1.8584 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Paging Onamuji: did they fix major bugs in Sierra?
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 28, 2017 06:37AM
you mentioned there were some PDF bugs in Sierra. Did they fix those in the latest update? I am thinking of upgrading several machines from 10.9.5 to 10.12.latest

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2017 06:38AM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Paging Onamuji: did they fix major bugs in Sierra?
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: June 28, 2017 07:13AM
This stuff...
[tidbits.com]

Most of the trouble seems to surround docs generated with OCR software and docs created as forms with fields to fill-in.

...I thought they'd made some progress as a bunch of docs of my own with checkboxes that previously failed to accept checkmarks now work, but just this week had Preview popping up messages saying that it couldn't several PDFs that opened perfectly well under 10.9.x...

Based upon which ones failed to open, it appears that an embedded otf used for foreign-language characters caused Preview to determine that every PDF made with that font was not a genuine PDF.

The same documents could open in Acrobat Reader which supposedly has pretty strict validation these days.

Per the blog post that started the discussion...
[mjtsai.com]

Update (2017-04-03): Adam C. Engst:

Last week, I polled the developers who had commented on the topic for my first article. The consensus was that Appleā€™s rewritten-for-Sierra PDFKit framework continues to improve, while simultaneously introducing new bugs.

I also found a new PDF display bug since talking with Engst.

Update (2017-05-17): Certain types of PDF scrolling remain broken in macOS 10.12.5.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 28, 2017 07:18AM
You could just use Acrobat Reader....free you know and works perfect in 10.12. Preview is a 2nd rate PDF viewer to begin with and doesn't support many of the advanced rich media PDF features.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 28, 2017 09:55AM
C(-)ris
You could just use Acrobat Reader....free you know and works perfect in 10.12.

This.

I'd be far more concerned about the 3 version jump from 10.9 to 10.12 vs some random PDF issue with preview. 10.9 is way different than 10.12.

And if you waited this long, I might be inclined to just wait another couple of months for high sierra

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 28, 2017 10:07AM
jdc
... And if you waited this long, I might be inclined to just wait another couple of months for high sierra

No, HS may be even more problematic with the new file system. if it turns out the HS is a kind of Snow Leopard (optimization under the hood without major external changes), I can always update.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: June 28, 2017 04:49PM
jdc
And if you waited this long, I might be inclined to just wait another couple of months for high sierra

High Sierra is going to bring a lot of pain. Bunch of apps won't run properly under the new file system, starting with Office 2011.

Posted by: numbered
Date: June 28, 2017 06:42PM
Onamuji
Bunch of apps won't run properly under the new file system, starting with Office 2011.
Uh Oh, Indy. I can feel the pressure of subscriptions software becoming overpowering...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 193
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015