advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Skylight Moulding?
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 28, 2017 08:50PM
The HOA (Home Owners Association) replaced the roof and skylights in our community. Here is what the inside looks like now. I would like to add something to make it look nicer. Moulding? I don't think there is any decent support behind drywall to nail or screw, but I do not know. I gave a stud finder and I could find out if there is any wood behind the drywall.

I am going to work on this over the next few days, and if you guys come up with good ideas, I might even post a follow up once the job is done smiling smiley

(the Aluminium foil is only temporary to see if it has any effect on reducing temperature)

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Skylight Moulding?
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 28, 2017 09:02PM
Not much space to work with there, crown moulding might be too big. Quarter-round, cove moulding or even shoe are small and might work just to hide the corner. You'll need to spackle and paint the larger damaged areas.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: June 28, 2017 09:12PM
So, who are the shoemakers that installed that? They left this as a finished project? That being said, nice window at least. Hard to tell, but it looks like there isn't enough room on the right to install anything without hampering the removal of screen, but maybe it's just the angle of the photo. if you are good with working with joint compound, you could run it up to the window and not put any trim down. You could then run a nice clean bead of caulk to seal to the window frame, then paint. Construction adhesive works fine for thin strips of trim, too. No need to nail into anything, although I can't believe there wouldn't be some sort of wood backing to that drywall...but who knows?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 28, 2017 09:15PM
Slather in and smooth out some drywall mud to fill the holes and repair.
Sand when its dry.
Then caulk the corner and smooth with a wet finger.
Then if you decide you need a border, you'll have a smooth surface and edge to try different moldings.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: June 28, 2017 09:18PM
So, who are the shoemakers that installed that? They left this as a finished project?

They were not allowed to enter the house. They put this in from the outside. Given these constrains, I think they did a good job.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: June 28, 2017 09:31PM
Got it, thanks. I still think you could make a nice finish if you just run the JC to the window and forget about trim. Good luck!
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 28, 2017 09:37PM
You could just get some simple 1 x 2, or 1 x 3 or 1 x 4s (depending on how much you need to cover) cut, paint, and glue them.

No fancy corners to miter/cut, just a simple square corner for the short and simple angles for the 2 long pieces. Even if you mess the long piece ends up some, wont be seen, short edge piece will hide it...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 28, 2017 09:58PM
Did the drywall get water damaged from leaks around the old skylight or the new one?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: June 28, 2017 10:11PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Did the drywall get water damaged from leaks around the old skylight or the new one?

previous owner forgot the skylight open during a storm. as far as I know, there were no leaks since I bought the place.
Posted by: decay
Date: June 28, 2017 10:50PM
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 29, 2017 12:27AM
What Paul F. wrote is correct; if it looks bad you can always add quarter round moulding on top of that.
Posted by: billb
Date: June 29, 2017 01:12AM
you could always just make a band picture frame out of 1x3

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Carm
Date: June 29, 2017 01:49AM
The edge is pretty thin. I would cut the edge with a box cutter to get rid of the excess paper/drywall folded over on the frame and do what Paul said. Then do a 1/2 to 1 inch quarter round molding.
Posted by: artie67
Date: June 29, 2017 01:51AM
Space, we have two of these Velux in the living room. I'll give you some tips in the morning.
Date: June 29, 2017 05:52AM
artie67
Space, we have two of these Velux in the living room. I'll give you some tips in the morning.

Thanks, it would be great if you could post some pictures.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 29, 2017 06:55AM
....bleach mixed with water.....wipe everything.....best way to get rid of.....MOULD......on the skylight.....hopefully, it is only on the surface and has not infiltrated beneath.....if it has, you are in for expensive renovation....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: billb
Date: June 29, 2017 09:50AM
duck tape comes in pretty colors and designs now
use it like wall paper border and pretty that right up

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Spiff
Date: June 29, 2017 09:56AM
FYI - instead of tinfoil, using a window tinting material such as this:
[www.homedepot.com]

...helps a lot! We have two skylights in our bedroom over our bed. Wow, did it cut down on heat and glare while still giving us good light. Be forewarned. It is PITA to install because you have to do it literally upside down. But once it's installed, looks good. grinning smiley
Posted by: davester
Date: June 29, 2017 10:03AM
Did the HOA come up with the rule that they couldn't enter the houses? That is simply ridiculous or this kind of install. By the way, we have venetian blinds on our skylights, with a long rod and handle that is used to operate them. You might want to try that instead of foil.

Regarding the unfinished interior walls, I would just use sheetrock tape and mud. However, that does take some skill.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2017 10:04AM by davester.
Date: June 29, 2017 10:26AM
Did the HOA come up with the rule that they couldn't enter the houses?

I am not sure exactly, but they said we don't have to be home during the roof replacement. I decided to stay home to see what they do, and at one point the engineer from another supervising firm representing the HOA had to come inside to look for another issues, but as far as I know these guys did not enter the units for removal of the old skylight and installation of the new one. I am in fact please with the results, given the fact they did not have access. It is probably also a cost savings measure, I can't really expect a contractor to patch drywall and match paint on 300 different units.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: June 29, 2017 11:52AM
FYI - instead of tinfoil, using a window tinting material such as this:
[www.homedepot.com]

...helps a lot! We have two skylights in our bedroom over our bed. Wow, did it cut down on heat and glare while still giving us good light. Be forewarned. It is PITA to install because you have to do it literally upside down. But once it's installed, looks good. grinning smiley

oops. repost - how did this happen?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2017 11:53AM by Spiff.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 30, 2017 03:30AM
What Spiff said. What Spiff said.
We did all of our windows w/ that stuff, and it works pretty good during moderate heat... when it really gets crankin' hot, I think the lack of insulation in our building lets all the outside surfaces radiate the heat inside, negating or just plain overpowering the window film's effectiveness. Hopefully your building is better insulated, at which point the film will be effective to a higher temperature level.
==
Posted by: vitus
Date: June 30, 2017 09:47AM
Placing tin foil behind a glass pane presents a significant risk of cracking the glass.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 177
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018