advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mid range TV?
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 30, 2017 08:27AM
What's the favorite brand/model these days for a mid-range TV in the 40-50" size? 1080p is fine, I do not need 4k.

I looked quickly at BB and Costco and it seemed like there were no spectacular deals going on, which surprised me since we're around 4th of July holiday. Also it seems like Panasonic, Sharp, Philips are or have already gone out of this business.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2017 08:27AM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mid range TV?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 30, 2017 08:44AM
I think VIZIO tends to be priced below Samsung, and it still a good brand to consider.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 30, 2017 08:45AM
....some may disagree but the TCL is good...and good price point [ huge brand in China ].....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 30, 2017 10:08AM
Vizio and TCL would be my choices (but you can get deals on Samsung frequently). Basic rule of thumb -- if you have never heard of the brand before - avoid it; if it is an old American TV brand like RCA, Zenith, etc - avoid it.

Look at Dell - I got my mom a 32" Samsung that included a $100 Dell coupon for $200 - then used the coupon to buy a Vizio soundbar for it a few weeks later.

Amazon Prime Day is July 11 - they are already saying that TV's are going to figure prominently in the sales.

Walmart almost always has some decent deals on Vizio in their stores (not necessarily online).

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: June 30, 2017 10:14AM
Ombligo
Basic rule of thumb -- if you have never heard of the brand before - avoid it; if it is an old TV brand like RCA, Zenith, etc - avoid i

....Sharp was bought out too (I believe)....

Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 30, 2017 10:16AM
Space,

rtings.com is my go-to site for TV info.

[www.rtings.com]

Robert
Posted by: Cary
Date: June 30, 2017 10:20AM
Last couple of TVs that I bought have been Insignia - BB house brand. Great value - always something on sale.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 30, 2017 10:35AM
Do you have some sort of budget in mind?

TCL 55US57 55" 4K Ultra HD 2160p 120Hz Roku Smart LED HDTV -- $400

[www.walmart.com]

or

Samsung Electronics UN50MU6300 50-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2017 Model) -- $530

[www.amazon.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2017 10:38AM by jdc.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 30, 2017 10:56AM
What price range and why only 40" to 50"? You can get a 55" 4K for $300 if you are willing to wait a few weeks for a closeout.

I will agree with TCL and Visio recommendations.

Starting about three years ago, Panasonic had a lot of problems with getting reliable TVs into the U.S. and seems like they just gave up trying. Close to 50% had visible issues as soon as you turn them on. If you really wanted one and were near to the Canada border, you could buy them, turn it on immediately and look for issues, then either return and hope for a good one or money back. It looks like Mitsubishi has also abandoned making TVs.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: June 30, 2017 10:59AM
.....one issue with Vizio is they have different lines, lower and higher, so read carefully what you are getting in specs......may seem like a deal but if it is the lower line, may not be such a deal.....

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 30, 2017 11:20AM
If you want a 40" this will be hard to beat.

Insignia™ - 40" Class (39.6" Diag.) - LED - 1080p - HDTV - Black

$229.99
ON SALE
SAVE $40 Was $269.99

[www.bestbuy.com]

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2017 11:20AM by Grateful11.
Posted by: artie67
Date: June 30, 2017 12:58PM
Have a 28" TCL/Roku in kitchen and works great.
Posted by: D. Lawson
Date: June 30, 2017 01:59PM
I personally loathe shopping at Wal*Mart, but if you find it a tolerable experience and enjoy the thrill of the hunt, you can sometimes find some excellent clearance markdown TVs thanks to Slickdeals and Brickseek.

I haven't spent enough time watching video content on Vizio TVs to have an opinion on their picture quality (I have wall mounted a few of them for clients, and we have a 65" 4K E-series in the conference room that is most often used to view spreadsheets), but their tiny basic remotes are absolutely terrible.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 30, 2017 03:35PM
LG or Samsung

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on anything by Vizio. Non-existent support and
their firmware blows. And yeah, their remotes are a joke.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Bernie
Date: June 30, 2017 03:38PM
I want HDMI ports. Many HDMI ports for my many sources, games, ATV DVDs, etc. Surprised to see the many UPPER level TVs that do not have 3 or more HDMI ports like my older screens from Toshiba. Three HDMIs on back and one on the side.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: June 30, 2017 03:46PM
MrNoBody
LG or Samsung...

agree smiley Yep - pretty much this. The few bucks "saved" on a bargain TV are soon forgotten, but the hassle of having to replace the bargain TV when it breaks is long remembered.
Date: June 30, 2017 04:20PM
.....Samsung has history of using 'cheap parts'......

Posted by: tortoise
Date: June 30, 2017 04:25PM
Samsung 50" currently on sale at Costco for $599 (item #9506300 ), I purchased one in April to replace a dead Vizio and could not be happier, a great set with good picture and the smallest and best remote I have ever seen, only has a few buttons and everything else is done on screen menus. I just went to Costco yesterday and got a $140 refund to match the current sale price as I bought mine in April for $729 so was within the 90 day return window and they issued a credit back with no hassle. Thats why I keep going back to Costco, they take good care of their customers.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 30, 2017 05:30PM
Son has a 40" Samsung in his bedroom, the screen went out about 4-5 months after buying it from Best Buy. The repairman said he was fixing them all over the area for exactly the same issue. Other than taking three weeks, the warranty service was fine.

From what I read while he was going through the process, Samsung is top quality in their large and top-of-the-line sets. Conversely, the smaller and economy sets are cheaply made. Seems like Samsung is living off it's reputation. I'm guessing The TV makers are doing the same as appliance makers - 3-5 year max lifespan

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: June 30, 2017 06:09PM
....it's the capacitors...they use cheap capacitors that blow....right after warranty.....

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 30, 2017 06:39PM
MrNoBody
LG or Samsung

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on anything by Vizio. Non-existent support and
their firmware blows. And yeah, their remotes are a joke.

That's odd. We had a problem recently our 7 year old Vizio and got American telephone support that was
quite helpful. A Bluetooth remote with a full QWERTY keyboard blows? I lost mine once, pretty sure I
knocked into the trash and it got tossed, they sent me one for free because their website parts sales
dept. was out of stock.

BTW: The buyout of Vizio by LeEco recently fell through.

Was looking at new TV's recently at Sam's and I asked the electronics dept. guy which they sold more of
and he said definitely Vizio. Then I asked what brand came back the most and he said Samsung.

Grateful11
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 30, 2017 07:47PM
I bought a TCL for the home office a few years ago for a smokin' good deal around the Christmas holidays. It performs better than the LG and Samsung I have downstairs.

I WILL take a look at what TCL offers next time I'm in need of a new screen.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: June 30, 2017 09:40PM
I used to try to buy Japanese brands, but they've gone extinct. Don't like Samsung. Maybe I'll try Vizio.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: July 02, 2017 08:43AM
jdc
Do you have some sort of budget in mind?

TCL 55US57 55" 4K Ultra HD 2160p 120Hz Roku Smart LED HDTV -- $400

[www.walmart.com]

This.

Excellent TV and the size/price point/features make this a steal, really. More manufacturers should take note.

(yes, I have some to shore up rooms, and no regrets - will purchase more TCL's going forward)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 116
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018