advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Concrete demolition question, possible septic tank-Help,please!
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 02, 2017 04:17PM
We were digging up the back yard for gardening and about 4 to 6 inches below the surface, nearly in the exact center of the back yard we found a concrete post, made of concrete and small stones, which is about a foot in diameter and seems to be two or three feet deep (determined by pro I got with a pry bar)

I dug a trench about 12" deep and about 9" wide from the edge of the concrete and reached underneath with a pry bar to lever it out, but all I've been able to do is swing it from one side of the hole to the other, like an inverted pendulum.

Now, I was planning to rent an electric concrete breaker and crack the concrete up and get rid of it, but a friend said "That sounds like a pretty strange thing to have in the middle of your backyard-it's much bigger than a fence post foundation. Are you sure it's not a cap for something, like an old septic tank, or something else? Maybe you should just take the first foot or so off it?"

Our house was built in 1918, in a new development in Washington, DC, so I'd be surprised if there was a septic tank. On the other hand, I'd hate to uncap a septic tank. Any thoughts?

And if I do decide to take the top foot off, do I need a large (65 lb) concrete breaker? Would a rotary hammer drill do, working my way around the edges? Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Concrete demolition question, possible septic tank-Help,please!
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 02, 2017 05:43PM
Around here, (MI) by law you have to cap old water wells when replacing with new. I believe it's to prevent contaminants from seeping down into the groundwater supply. Perhaps that's what you have there.

As for the concrete demolition, you could probably get by with a hammer drill, but a jackhammer would save some time.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: fromish
Date: July 02, 2017 06:13PM
I would use a hammer drill and one of the many chemical concrete breaking compounds. Home Depot carries them, but you can get them online too. You drill holes, according to directions, in a line or pattern where you want the concrete to break. You them mix the compound, pack it into the hole and watch in fascination. The compound gets really hot and expands quickly and with incredible force, cracking the concrete along the line of drilled holes. You them remove the chunks and repeat until you have removed the targeted portion of the concrete.

Here's the Home Depot link:
[www.homedepot.com]
Posted by: billb
Date: July 02, 2017 06:13PM
1.) you call safedig ( not that they have records for a hell of a lot )

2.) 12 inches deep isn't very deep.

It could be a marker for a cesspool.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 02, 2017 08:45PM
An abandoned septic tank would be crushed or filled with sand. A three-foot concrete plug doesn't make much sense.I vote for a well of some type.

But whatever it is, someone went to a lot of trouble to cap it. You may not want to deal with what's under it. I'd leave it alone.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 02, 2017 09:21PM
Need pictures. It sounds like someone tried to seal an indian burial ground. wink smiley

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2017 09:22PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 02, 2017 09:40PM
The things I learn here! :-)
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 02, 2017 11:02PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Need pictures. It sounds like someone tried to seal an indian burial ground. wink smiley

You don't want to be buried in a pet cemetery. I don't want to be buried in a pet cemetery.

Posted by: Dennis R
Date: July 05, 2017 05:44PM
Maybe you will be lucky and it will be an old bomb shelter.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 229
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018