Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Name your favorite Mac clone
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 08, 2017 10:20AM
In honor of a thread below, I thought it might be fun to post your favorite Mac clone or hackintosh.

Clone - we added a G3 upgrade via the cache slot on a Motorola Mac clone. I used it as a main home machine for years. Retired it for a 2009 i3 iMac. Still have the hardware in the garage.

Hack- gotta love the Dell mini. Was basically the Apple netbook. Terrible trackpad and all.

Post yours here!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2017 10:21AM by sekker.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Name your favorite Mac clone
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: July 08, 2017 10:34AM
Yup...Starmax 4000MT circa 1997...

I dunno what I was thinking. Luckily was able to recoup about 80% of the purchase price via eBay. Replaced by the original Bondi iMac in 1998.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: neophyte
Date: July 08, 2017 10:35AM
sekker
Clone - we added a G3 upgrade via the cache slot on a Motorola Mac clone. I used it as a main home machine for years. Retired it for a 2009 i3 iMac. Still have the hardware in the garage.

Same here: Starmax 3000 with a G3 processor in the L2 cache slot. Still sees daily use by my daughter for word processing (Clarisworks 5!) and geneology (Reunion).

The 5 year warrantee sold me (and the price too), and it's still going after 20 years!
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: July 08, 2017 11:15AM
PowerTower Pro 250 was pretty sweet, but I have a soft spot for the PowerCenter desktop-series as that was the one that I had the longest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2017 11:15AM by Onamuji.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 08, 2017 11:21AM

I've still got the mouse pad someplace.
Posted by: p8712
Date: July 08, 2017 11:21AM
The motorola mac has ps/2 ports and a friggin 5 year warranty on the hardware. 5 years!
I'll go with the super rare daystar:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2017 11:22AM by p8712.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 08, 2017 11:51AM
PowerCenter Pro with 5 internal drives and a VooDoo3 video card. Later I lusted over the Starmax with an accelerator but never got one.

It's so sad that these days it's Apple that is the last to embrace new computer technology.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 08, 2017 12:15PM
UMAX!! I had three. Two C600 models, and later, a J700 on closeout.

I was actually sad when Jobs killed off the clones. The UMAX line really worked well for me at the time.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: Forrest
Date: July 08, 2017 12:22PM
I had a Umax C500 (desktop) and C600 (tower). I preferred the C600 - plenty of room to expand. I added a G3 upgrade soon after purchase.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 08, 2017 12:44PM
I really liked the starmax packages, but Power computing made the state of the art muscle machines of the day.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: July 08, 2017 01:15PM
I had a Power Computing Power Center Pro. Loaded it up pretty well before moving to a Power Mac G4 dual 1ghz machine. Stuffed with 5 10k RPM SCSI droves before it went offline
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 08, 2017 01:20PM
I'll note that in the end, we tried them all except the DayStar. We had multiple PowerComputing, a UMAX and several Motorola.

The PowerComputing had best specs but bar far the cheapest hardware and worst software issues. Not really better than a modern hackintosh.

The Moto machines were rock solid hardware.

The UMAX was used for a LONG time as a digital camera system and was by far the most useful work machine clone we purchased.

I was not sorry to see PowerComputer go - they were just cheap. But UMAX and Motorola machines were really adding to the ecosystem and offered options Apple would never do.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 08, 2017 01:24PM
She was a Power Center Pro mini-tower that I swapped a G3 proc in and OC'ed it to 566MHz. Maxed out the RAM and drive bays, and added a couple of knuckle busting fans and air dams to keep her running as cool as possible. She was a true screamer for her day; meaning she was fast, but no longer loud after I tweaked her fans and air dams. Added bigger/better video card, and the fastest U2WSCSI card available, and of course a USB/FW card. My knuckles still cringe every time I mention her. She was special.

I named her Bridgette Cloney.

After dual G4's got fast, I swapped procs, and had to downclock the G3 to run in its next gig, and eventually gave Bridgette, and her two identical-at-birth siblings, to Harbourmaster for re-homing. She was an amazing gal, and I was honored to have her for those few wonderful years she gave me. Bridgette is missed, but her memory lives on.
==
Posted by: polychrome
Date: July 08, 2017 01:38PM
I don't have a favorite clone since I only had one, the PowerCenter Pro 180 w/ a G3 upgrade. I loved it and still fire it up once in a while.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2017 06:54PM by polychrome.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 08, 2017 02:28PM
StarMax 5500. Bought it in '97 as Motorola was clearing them out after Jobs killed the clones, had a 200 MHz 604e processor. Later upgraded it with a NewerTech 300 MHz G3 L2 slot card.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: July 08, 2017 05:11PM
uMax c500 I believe is what we had. Sweet machine. Used it for several years sans issues, sold at a garage sale circa 2004 to a young mom who I hope also loved it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2017 05:12PM by SteveO.
Posted by: tenders
Date: July 08, 2017 07:26PM
The 2008 Dell Mini 9 did then what people wish the iPad Pro did today.

I would still use mine if it had decent battery life, cell data, and the iOS integration that started with 10.7. (The Mini topped out at 10.6.7.)

The trackpad was only fair, it's true, but the keyboard, while quirky, was highly functional.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 09, 2017 09:30AM
I loved my Power Computing PowerCurve. Blew the doors off of Apple's low-end desktop models at that time. The UMAX j700 was a true workhorse, but Power Computing's stuff was geared more towards Mac power users IYAM.

My Acer i3 Chromebook is easily my favorite portable HackBook.
Posted by: Schpark
Date: July 10, 2017 08:25AM
I liked the Starmax 4000 tower I had as I was working for Motorola and tweaked the fab to get the G3 chip to 400 Mhz and then 450 MHz.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 177
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015