Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $153.14 ( +2.59 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Not the mini . . .
Posted by: mspace
Date: July 12, 2017 12:25PM
OK, so now instead of considering the mini, partner now wants to look at MBP 13".

This will be dedicated to Logic Pro and notation apps and used in performance.

While we do have the budget for latest/greatest, I know there are reasons why older builds can be better/more flexible (ports), among other considerations. And saving money always helps. ;)

I am not always paying close attention to these things, so any advice/suggestions on what to start considering will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Not the mini . . .
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 12, 2017 12:29PM
Refurb 2015?
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 12, 2017 12:36PM
Speed hasn't improved much in the past few updates as processor efficiency has stagnated a bit but the integrated video is much better. Still, the 2015 models are very good, pretty light and come with a plethora of non-USB-C ports.
Posted by: clay
Date: July 12, 2017 12:42PM
ka jowct
Refurb 2015?

yeah, this. Very solid, proven model. Very good performance, etc, etc. I use one for location audio recording. never skips a beat (groan).

I might even be talked into selling it, as I have a different machine I could use for my work...
Date: July 12, 2017 12:50PM
Thanks for the info.

It looks like we need to stay in the 2015 range to have port flexibility. I'm not really caring about the touch bar, etc.

Now to find something we can still put a bit of applecare on . . . ;)
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 12, 2017 12:55PM
There are almost always 2015 refurbs in the online store. Full warranty and you can get AppleCare. Right now I only see the 15" model. Are you in a rush to get it?
Posted by: decay
Date: July 12, 2017 12:56PM
ka jowct
There are almost always 2015 refurbs in the online store. Full warranty and you can get AppleCare. Right now I only see the 15" model. Are you in a rush to get it?
^
THIS

---
Date: July 12, 2017 01:16PM
Not a complete rush.

I wonder what the usual price is from the apple store. I'm finding a couple on craigslist that have applecare until 2019.

edit: Never mind. They have some with 16 ram/512g for $1700

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2017 01:19PM by mspace.
Posted by: Joseph C.
Date: July 12, 2017 01:58PM
I am running Logic Pro X and Dorico on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16GB of RAM. I have an internal SSD for applications and external drive (soon to be upgraded for an SSD) for my sample library. Works very well for me.
Date: July 12, 2017 02:04PM
Joseph C.
I am running Logic Pro X and Dorico on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16GB of RAM. I have an internal SSD for applications and external drive (soon to be upgraded for an SSD) for my sample library. Works very well for me.

That's exactly what we plan. Good to know you're happy with it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 282
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015