advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Acer 34-inch curved monitor drops to $549
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: July 14, 2017 02:19PM
CDW just dropped their price on the Acer 34-inch curved LED monitor from $1100 to $549.

Go to CWD's site to see, or see MacWorld's explanation here.

(as my sig shows, I own Acer monitors. Love 'em. Crisp and clear)

Mac Pro 2013 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, 16G RAMSierra 10.12.6 Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2017 03:09PM by tuqqer.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Acer 34-inch curved monitor drops to $549
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 14, 2017 02:55PM
Love my widescreen LG; have often wondered if a curved version would be a wee bit easier to work with (or worse to).

Posted by: jdc
Date: July 14, 2017 03:34PM
As a counter point, I didnt find the ultra wide useful, and returned my Dell 34".

full long post: [forums.macresource.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: July 14, 2017 03:39PM
Very helpful, jdc. Thanks for posting that.

(and question: how do you figure out the URL so that it goes to the exact message of a longer list of messages, like you did in your link? Your URL ends in "#msg-1945058" ... how do you find the exact message number? )

Mac Pro 2013 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, 16G RAMSierra 10.12.6 Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 14, 2017 03:41PM
Would order it, but it's not VESA compatible. Too bad.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 14, 2017 03:51PM
Zoidberg
Love my widescreen LG; have often wondered if a curved version would be a wee bit easier to work with (or worse to).

I have the 34" TB LG ultrawide flat and when a VIP requested a big monitor option, I recommended the 34" curved which she bought. Short version: curved is better for single person use. Not enough of a dealbreaker that I'll change mine out (I'm wayyy too cheap to do that) but for a single large screen, single person use, curved is better.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 14, 2017 04:53PM
Why is curved better?
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 14, 2017 06:09PM
The angle at the size of the screen on such a wide monitor is at rather a steep angle. And if you sit fairly close to it, the sides actually darken a bit. Not a problem with the slight but very useful curve.

Think of it this way: When you have 2 monitors, you don't arrange the screens parallel to each other, you toe them in. A single curved screen is the same thing— the edges of the monitor are toed in.
Date: July 14, 2017 06:27PM
I would like to sit in front of one of these, and see how it feels.

I'm a long-time user of dual monitors. As Lew Zealand said, I toe them in a bit. I actually tape the backside with a couple pieces of black duct tape, to prevent them separating. I'm really tall, so I also have them on a 5" monitor stand. I've often thought of getting one of those dual monitor stands, to only have one set of legs, but do fine with the legs they come with.

Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 14, 2017 08:06PM
tuqqer
I actually tape the backside with a couple pieces of black duct tape, to prevent them separating.

Viet Nam flashback... I velcro'ed monotprs together back in the day. Thankfully, the newer monitor stands are more stable, and sit together nicely, plus using the big monitor as an occasional TV, it get raised to max height for TV viewing, and lowered to about an inch up from minimum for computing.
==
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 14, 2017 09:18PM
Lew Zealand
The angle at the size of the screen on such a wide monitor is at rather a steep angle. And if you sit fairly close to it, the sides actually darken a bit. Not a problem with the slight but very useful curve.

Think of it this way: When you have 2 monitors, you don't arrange the screens parallel to each other, you toe them in. A single curved screen is the same thing— the edges of the monitor are toed in.

I've never had two monitors. However, I don't think I could warm up to either the curve or the ultrawide screen.
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 14, 2017 11:31PM
I didnt get to post this in the 3 monitor discussion the other day... but heres my setup. Corner desk is essential. And not a 90 degree L shape. Ive had this desk for 10 years, its perfect.

left: 24" 1920 X 1080 -- emails, text files, suitcase, pandora, other random stuff.

center: 27" 5K iMac, 2560 x 1440 -- almost all working apps, Indesign, Muse, Dreamweaver, Acrobat

right: 27" 2560 x 1440 -- left half: finder, right half: web. Sometimes all web in right screen. PS in the left half as well... I dont use PS a lot, so...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: July 15, 2017 10:41AM
jdc,

Your set up is what I dream of. Currently don't have enough space for that type of desk. Next year—when my wife and I retire to a home on one of the Gulf Islands in British Columbia—I'll bring over the desk that is in storage and add at least one monitor.

(PS, you may want to contact a ghost exterminator. Looks like there is trapped spirit in your west coast clock.)

Todd's cramped keyboard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 210
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015