advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $152.09 ( +1.82 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
And, this is why you don't thinset tile to hardwood floor...
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: July 14, 2017 05:51PM
I'm renovating my living room... y'all may recall a question about windows (still haven't decided on that...) a couple weeks ago.

One of the things I'm doing is tearing up the carpet to expose the hardwood (oak) floor undrneath. AND, re-do the tile just inside the front door. Well, the carpet is loose at the edges now, and the tack-strips pulled up (leaving the carpet there to protect the floor during the window replacement, etc...), and I go to take up the cracked up tile,mand discover why it's cracked up...

The RIGHT way to lay tile, is to cut out the floor, to the underlayment, and put a layer of cementboard down, screwed to the underlayment every few inches. Did the person who did this sometime in the 90's do that? Nooo...

They slathered thinset on the oak floor, and splorched the tile right on it. Being flexible, the hardwood floor, well, flexes.. and the tile cracks all over.

So now, I have to scrape this crap off the oak, before sanding this 1950's floor that has been abused, scratched, scraped, dinged, stapled, tack strippped, and otherwise mistreated.

I think it'll be gorgeous when it's done, but I think timing wise, this is going to put off replacing the wood burning insert for a while... I don't have enough time before school starts do get it ALL done!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: And, this is why you don't thinset tile to hardwood floor...
Date: July 14, 2017 05:54PM

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: July 14, 2017 06:15PM
Nice. smiley-shocked003

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: billb
Date: July 14, 2017 07:06PM
Got the moolah for new hardwood floor ?

Hoping you don't find dog and cat animal excretion stains and plywood patches.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin

BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Date: July 14, 2017 07:23PM
Nope... but that's what a 36 grit belt sander is for! You can do that with old full thickness floors...

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 14, 2017 07:55PM
Ugh. The work of Satan.
Our previous house had carpet in the kitchen . Yeah. So we hired to get it all ripped out to replace with linoleum. Only to find...
Carpet
Tile
Thinset
Hardwood
Asbestos tiles.

Like an archaeological dig. People are nuts.
Posted by: JoeBob
Date: July 14, 2017 08:27PM
I think I owned a house that previously belonged to this guys brother.
Put shag carpet over beautiful hardwoods.
To make sure that the tack strips didn't pull up, in addition to the tackstrip nails, he put ring shank nails.every.four.inches.
I would gladly have throttled him, given the chance. Don't think a jury would have convicted me.
Posted by: max
Date: July 14, 2017 08:37PM
JoeBob
I think I owned a house that previously belonged to this guys brother.
Put shag carpet over beautiful hardwoods.
To make sure that the tack strips didn't pull up, in addition to the tackstrip nails, he put ring shank nails.every.four.inches.
I would gladly have throttled him, given the chance. Don't think a jury would have convicted me.
I would have gladly provided you with an alibi....
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: July 15, 2017 10:18AM
Ring shank nails should be illegal. But, I love it when people put any kind of carpet over hardwood floors! Protects them for when I buy that old house, as I just did here in the midwest. At least they didn't put tile on top! And, right Paul, that hardwood will be fairly easily made to look beautiful again! A real gem is to find heart pine floors under carpet! That old growth heart pine is like land: they don't make that anymore (well, I'm not talking about what they do in Japan..., making land).

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: July 15, 2017 10:26AM
What a shame.
It can be very difficult to find decent, honest contractors who know what they are doing. They're out there, but how do you identify them?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2017 10:26AM by S. Pupp.
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: July 15, 2017 10:43AM
Paul, I applaud your efforts. I'm one of the lucky ones: Before we decided to to pull off old carpet in our mid-1950s home I knew there was some kind of wood. But didn't know what kind and in what shape. We hired a professional service and the results were stunning. Very fortunate to not encounter any thinset, tile or other weirdness. On the other hand, when we re-did the kitchen floor it was indeed the archaeological dig others here have described.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 15, 2017 10:52AM
cbelt3
Ugh. The work of Satan.
Our previous house had carpet in the kitchen . Yeah. So we hired to get it all ripped out to replace with linoleum. Only to find...
Carpet
Tile
Thinset
Hardwood
Asbestos tiles.

sounds like our upstairs kitchen. When I replaced our dishwasher (I divorced her, smiley-laughing001) there is like 5 layers of flooring before the underlayment. And the house was built in '68. Who changes their minds that often?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 15, 2017 11:00AM
prymsnap
Paul, I applaud your efforts. I'm one of the lucky ones: Before we decided to to pull off old carpet in our mid-1950s home I knew there was some kind of wood. But didn't know what kind and in what shape. We hired a professional service and the results were stunning. Very fortunate to not encounter any thinset, tile or other weirdness. On the other hand, when we re-did the kitchen floor it was indeed the archaeological dig others here have described.

You got lucky. Some '50's homes had floors installed for area rugs, they just had a border of good hardwood. The center of the floor used either cheap flooring or plywood to save on construction costs because it would not be visible after an area rug was laid down.
Posted by: billb
Date: July 15, 2017 11:41AM
Racer X
. Who changes their minds that often?

My first house had multiple layers of wallpaper in the master bedroom. I think they slapped new paper or paint up every Spring. At least a quarter of an inch thick. Of course they didn't paint the wall to prep it originally so repairing all the ripped paper on the sheetrock was tons of fun. I had no extra money at the time otherwise I would have either just slapped another layer of sheetrock over it all or torn it out, checked the insulation, and started over.
It started with a broken door stop, a doorknob hole and " can we paint the bedroom ? "

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin

BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Date: July 15, 2017 11:48AM
JoeH
prymsnap

You got lucky. Some '50's homes had floors installed for area rugs, they just had a border of good hardwood. The center of the floor used either cheap flooring or plywood to save on construction costs because it would not be visible after an area rug was laid down.

Yes, absolutely. I had my fingers and toes crossed as the guys pulled off the carpet backing. And I even had a budget set aside for the worst case scenario. Here's the finished product:

Date: July 15, 2017 12:02PM
Dude! I LOVE that fireplace!

Looks like my budget may not support getting a gas insert to replace the woodburning one I have this year.. but I'll get the rest of the room prepped for it (new hearth tile, etc).

I still don't know what's under ALL of the carpet, but a "rug area" spot would not be typical on this model of home. It's a common local "kit home" built from the 50's to the late 60's by a local outfit called a "Pierson Home". There's about 5 models, and pretty much everyone in Eureka has either lived in one, or has known someone who did. Mine has the "wood floor upgrade" and the "attached garage" upgrade. Plus it's had it's original un-insulated windows all replaced except the two big front ones... which I'm replacing. Ironically, I'm buying the windows through Piersons Building Center, owned by the grandson of the guy who built the Pierson homes! LOL.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 15, 2017 02:50PM
thats a great fireplace!

Posted by: Carm
Date: July 15, 2017 03:28PM
I hope you have a roto hammer/ hammer drill with a large spade bit to scrape the thinset and remove the tile before you sand. My tile guy and his helper did my entire house (2200sq) relatively easily with two of them. This was over a year ago. It makes the job some much easier. I did my first house with a stripper I rented from a local rental place, that thing was crazy strong and loud with a 8-10 in blade. That was about 18 years ago and my BIL helped.
Date: July 15, 2017 06:22PM
mattkime
thats a great fireplace!

Thanks! Can't take credit for it tho -- it and the slate tiles were there when we moved in, 1984.
Date: July 15, 2017 08:49PM
Paul F.
Dude! I LOVE that fireplace!

Thanks! It was definitely one of the things that sold us way back when. It's a small house -- just two bedrooms. We're literally surrounded by teardown McMansions. One-car attached was converted into Mr.Prymsnap's studio. No doubt whoever buys this place after we're gone will tear the whole thing down.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 17, 2017 11:50AM
cbelt3
Ugh. The work of Satan.
Carpet
Tile
Thinset
Hardwood
Asbestos tiles.

Think you have me beat!

My kitchen had:
Slate tile
Cement board backer (yea!)
Linoleum sheeting
Luan underlayment
Original 12x12 linoleum tiles

Removed all that do get to the plywood subfloor. We put down bamboo with cork underlayment. Noises from the basement seem much louder now!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 200
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015