advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $153.95 ( -2.1193 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Amazon Echo Dot most popular Prime Day item- so it'll be dirt cheap in a short time- barely used
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 14, 2017 09:17PM
Okay, figure it this way. Amazon sold more 'Amazon Echo Dot's than any other item on prime day. So let's say it was hundreds of thousands (?).

That means so many people it bought it that there will be 1) those who couldn't figure out how to use it 2) Sorta figured it out, but didn't 'like' it 3) Though they were buying something else 4) Had no idea of what they were buying.
It's the usual breakdown, as seen by people who spend fortunes to have a phone they just text and play 4 games on. But since the Amazon Echo Dot is even more limited, the rejection rate should be pretty high. And all you need it one (or three). They paid $34.99 plus tax. You should be able to pick it up for like $5 at a yard sale or free from people who just want to get it out of the house. We live in a throw-away society. They might as well throw it your way.

PS- you don't have to tell them that Amazon will probably upgrade the software and functions. Have fun with Alexa!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2017 09:21PM by Steve G..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Amazon Echo Dot most popular Prime Day item- so it'll be dirt cheap in a short time- barely used
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 14, 2017 09:29PM
I have no idea what it does. Guess I should have bought one.
Re: Amazon Echo Dot most popular Prime Day item- so it'll be dirt cheap in a short time- barely used
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: July 14, 2017 09:34PM
It's automatically associated with the purchaser's Amazon account (like a Kindle) and can't be bound to another one until the original owner removes it from the account.

So, while it may be a common yard sale item, make sure that it's been removed from the owner's account before laying out your cash or you'll be buying a $5 paperweight.

...Can disassociate via the Alexa app or via the [alexa.amazon.com] website.

Posted by: Forrest
Date: July 14, 2017 09:34PM
A few family members have the Echo Dot and love them. Some have bought a second one.
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 14, 2017 09:46PM
We got one and have enjoyed playing with it but Siri seems much smarter than Alexa. We just learned about skills but haven't explored them in any detail. Maybe that bumps up her smarts!
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 14, 2017 10:37PM
We love ours. Lots of fun.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: July 14, 2017 10:55PM
Michael
We just learned about skills but haven't explored them in any detail. Maybe that bumps up her smarts!

Just adds more phrases for it to get wrong.

But when you tie it into "smart home" gadgets, having to repeat a command 3-4 times... Is just as irritating if not more so.

Posted by: p8712
Date: July 15, 2017 12:12AM
It works well as a Bluetooth speaker, if nothing else.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 15, 2017 05:13AM
I looked and considered it a few times but just can't find anything I absolutely want from it.

Speaker? I have a nice speaker system that I can use for music.
Questions? too simplistic of answer (I tend to look at an answer and have more questions to research)
Home Control? turning off a light, adjusting a thermostat are things that make me get up and moce. Life is already too sedentary.
TV Remote? potential, but pressing a couple buttons is pretty easy already

The closest I can come to real need is as an alarm clock, but the microwave timer works fine for that (I don't use an alarm for sleep, just reminders to do something like turn the hose off).

I want to like it, but not just because others do.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 15, 2017 07:48AM
Steve G.
people who spend fortunes to have a phone they just text and play 4 games on.

Hey! I take selfies, too!

Regarding the Dot, don't you already need the Big Thing? So people should already know what it does and want more of the same, no?
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 15, 2017 08:49AM
[www.businessinsider.com]

Ombligo
I looked and considered it a few times but just can't find anything I absolutely want from it.

Speaker? I have a nice speaker system that I can use for music.
Questions? too simplistic of answer (I tend to look at an answer and have more questions to research)
Home Control? turning off a light, adjusting a thermostat are things that make me get up and moce. Life is already too sedentary.
TV Remote? potential, but pressing a couple buttons is pretty easy already

The closest I can come to real need is as an alarm clock, but the microwave timer works fine for that (I don't use an alarm for sleep, just reminders to do something like turn the hose off).

I want to like it, but not just because others do.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 15, 2017 09:19AM
Alexa is not terribly bright, but the Dot is nice for music. We have one plugged into an old iPad dock with speakers in the kitchen. With the current 4-months unlimited for 99-cent Amazon Music deal, it's a nice combination.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2017 09:30AM by Will Collier.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 286
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015