Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
string trimmer rack on trailer shimmies
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 14, 2017 10:29PM
So I bought this trailer today. It came with the 2 vertical string trimmer rack pieces seen on its far side. They are essentially angle iron bolted to the frame. Both are secure, as is the side of the trailer / no broken welds etc.

Between about 25-40mph, one of them (the rear-most one) oscillates pretty wildly back and forth (left-right) what appears to be a good 5-10 inches, enough to fear breaking the side of a weld somewhere. Tire pressures and wheel balancing should be fine.

I figure that the front-most rack piece benefits from being near the front, between two vertical side rails as well as the front horizontal rail which limits how much the side rail can move. The rear-most rack piece lacks all of that, even if it is bolted right near one vertical side piece.

Here's the thing. I'm not a landscaper and will probably just unbolt them anyway. But let's say I wanted them on there. Would there be a way to do it without welding a new angle iron across the trailer bed to prevent the side rail from moving?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: string trimmer rack on trailer shimmies
Posted by: davester
Date: July 14, 2017 11:52PM
It might help to bolt a horizontal piece of angle iron between the tops of the two posts. Can't say for sure but that might stiffen it up and alter the resonant frequency at which it is oscillating.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: billb
Date: July 15, 2017 02:23AM
Tire pressures and wheel balancing should be fine.

Should ?
Seriously ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 15, 2017 05:41AM
Assuming the tire pressure/balance is correct....

I would put a horizontal bar across the top to connect the two supports together. Then add triangular corner bracesto lock everything together. That should stiffen it.

Alternatively, cut the bars off to half the current height. That would reduce the stress as well.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: July 15, 2017 08:01AM
KISS. Unbolt.
:-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2017 08:03AM by nwyaker.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 15, 2017 08:05AM
Unloaded trailer ? Most trailers are designed to be loaded, and hop around a bit when unloaded..
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 15, 2017 11:44AM
If you want to keep the height, try adding 10 lbs to the end of the one moving the most. It should lower the resonant frequency where the vibration isn't as strong. If you don't need the height, cut 10 inches off.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: lost in space
Date: July 15, 2017 06:43PM
It's that tire sticker. Yep. Take that off, you'll be fine.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 15, 2017 08:50PM
....can you do the shimmie....shimmie....shake.......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 185
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015