advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $152.09 ( +1.82 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Attn Runners / Soccer Players: Recommend A Shoe for BOTH Supination & Overpronation?
Posted by: SteveO
Date: July 14, 2017 11:22PM
I played soccer for about 30 years. Ankles/ligaments shot 9 ways to Sunday. Had my gait analyzed at a running store several years ago (video) and it simply baffled them as I both supinate AND overpronate. I started with a pair of Mizuno stability/motion-control shoes on their rec, Wave something or other but that was about 13 years back and now they've changed them all up.

Those original Mizunos I had were pretty comfortable even on longer runs (up to 15 miles in those days), I recall they had funky soles - mostly flat/rectangular, not shaped like a bare footprint at all as most running shoes seem to be.

Wear patterns on my current runners (Mizuno Wave something-else that aren't the right shoe for me) bear out my analysis - inside of heels toward the arches are worn most, AND outside of the upper edges of my feet. These shoes cause me some pain if I walk too far in them.

I'm looking to keep it under 100 bucks, I don't mind buying old stock so long as it does what it's supposed to do. I use them for walking briskly a few miles daily. Recommendations welcome. Yeah I could go to the store and get filmed again and pay $140 for shoes but if I can save some time/cash by asking here, why not. Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2017 11:24PM by SteveO.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Attn Runners / Soccer Players: Recommend A Shoe for BOTH Supination & Overpronation?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 14, 2017 11:47PM
unsolicited advice - i worked with a personal trainer to correct some issues i was having cycling. one of the more important things we did was to strengthen my feet. previously i'd get pain in my feet if i did more than 2 hours on the bike. after foot strengthening - could go forever.

if you don't care what people think, get a pair of vibram five fingers. i had them for years and never used them much and just started to use them for hiking. no problems on five mile hikes and my feet get a nice workout.

the point - you might be able to find a simple way to strengthen your feet so they're not weird anymore

Re: Attn Runners / Soccer Players: Recommend A Shoe for BOTH Supination & Overpronation?
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: July 15, 2017 12:24AM
Rather than try to find an expensive shoe that may or may not work, have you looked at either orthotics or Sports orthotics ?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 15, 2017 11:30AM
....would also like to know what is........'SUP.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: July 15, 2017 01:16PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I need new walking shoes regardless as mine are worn out (and hurt my feet after about an hour), but I do use sports orthotics. Like the foot strengthening idea. I can tell it's the running shoes because of where my feet hurt after wearing them (on the outsides near my toes). That doesn't happen in my cycling shoes where I also use orthotics. So definitely a gait thing, and it would appear a foot workout program is afoot!
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 15, 2017 02:34PM
yeah, i had orthotics for my cycling shoes. When i first got them i thought they were a miracle. then after a few years i likely needed new ones and didn't care to pay however many hundreds of dollars to fix the problem again.

the personal trainer was a friend with physical therapy experience. i never would have tried it if not for her.

endurance sports call for repetitive movement. one way to prevent repetitive movement problems is to go off road - typically hiking.

Date: July 16, 2017 11:42AM
Yeah, that's another really good point, and I do try to mix up my activities. Cycling, walking, yoga. Yoga unwinds the damage pretty darn well...I just need to do it more. Just bought a 15-pack so proud of myself for that self-care thang.
Posted by: stephen
Date: July 16, 2017 11:41PM
I bought two pairs of orthotics, which helped but then one foot got worse. It turned out my back was the source of the issue and it manifested in pain on the bottom of my arch. I generally avoid chiropractors but went to one a week ago and found significant foot relief almost instantly. I think a series of muscles are fighting w each other.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 194
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015