Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Vulcan Trivia
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 15, 2017 05:29AM
I watch Star Trek, but I'm not an in-depth Trekker. Still details and history grab my attention.

I know there are some other fans of the series here. So when I came across a small bit of Trek trivia - the origin of the Vulcan salute - I decided to share. I have no idea how well known this is amongst fans, but I found it interesting.

The salute was derived by Leonard Nimoy from the Hebrew symbol of a Cohen (Hebrew for priest). The hand form is thought to represent a letter of the Hebrew alphabet - Shin. That is the first letter of several important words, including Shechinah and Shaddai (both alternative names of God). Nimoy grew up in a Orthodox home, and remembered the gesture being used in religious services. He appropriated it for the Vulcan Salute, which stands for Live Long and Prosper.

Like is so often the case, the back story brings a deeper understanding.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Vulcan Trivia
Posted by: tronnei
Date: July 15, 2017 07:21AM
Ombligo
I have no idea how well known this is amongst fans, but I found it interesting.

Well-known among the fan base. Nimoy was explaining that in interviews for decades.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: July 15, 2017 07:30AM
Wasn't that also a hand gesture that Shatner couldn't do, so it brought no end of joy to Nemoy whenever he did it? I seem to recall there was no love lost between the two. Please correct me if I'm wrong...
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 15, 2017 09:58AM
Spiff
Wasn't that also a hand gesture that Shatner couldn't do, so it brought no end of joy to Nemoy whenever he did it? I seem to recall there was no love lost between the two. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

I'll correct you. Shatner and Nimoy remained friends for decades. They did speaking tours together. Shatner wrote a tribute book for Nimoy. Both men talked frequently about their friendship and worked together often.

(There was a lot of friction between Shatner and other members of the cast -- specifically Koenig and Takei, as the stories go -- because of the situation. Shatner believed people watched the show (and the films) to see him, so he was rather insistent about screen time. They were just supporting players. So the stories grew about Shatner's ego and screen-hogging.)

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: July 15, 2017 11:47AM
Ombligo
He appropriated it for the Vulcan Salute

We don't likes cultural appropriation. We objects to it. We likes our precious.
Posted by: p8712
Date: July 15, 2017 04:29PM
Anybody but Bill Shatner leave a message...

FWIW Shatner is Jewish, too.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 17, 2017 09:46AM
I didn't know until I watched For the Love of Spock.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 203
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015