Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
shredding
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 15, 2017 10:22AM
I decided to start shredding old tax stuff from 2000 and before, and while I'm waiting for my shredder to "cool down", I thought I'd ask if anyone knew of a free (or very cheap) service that will do this on a larger scale. No local "community shred day event" that I can find. Only other option seems to be Staples at .89/lb.

On a side note, as I'm going through this stuff, I found a receipt from Staples from June of 2001 for a 30GB 7200rpm internal hard drive. It was on sale for $119.98.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: shredding
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 15, 2017 10:32AM
What about burning the stuff?

Get a fairly decent sized barbecue grill like a Weber Kettle, and slide stuff through the cooking grate to make contact with the charcoal. The cooking grate should keep stuff from flying off.
Posted by: bik
Date: July 15, 2017 10:39AM
Not sure what volume you're talking about.

I just tend to put the old stuff in a pile and gradually use it for kindling for starting the charcoal grill and the fireplace.

I missed my town's "Burn Season" deadline this year, but it always fin to fill a metal barrel with dead leaves and tax forms and light it up.
Date: July 15, 2017 10:53AM
Thanks for the ideas.

Not a huge volume - just a box the size of a case of copy paper. I tried burning once years ago and it was slow and ashes went flying everywhere. I guess I was sloppy with the process. I'm finding info online about soaking in water/bleach for 24 hours. More than likely I'll just keep at it with the home shredder, just doing small batches at a time over time.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 15, 2017 11:29AM
....what a coincidence.....shredding my abs, as we speak.......6-pack here we come......!!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: billb
Date: July 15, 2017 11:30AM
Burning paper flies all over. We even try to use very little in the wood stove to get a fire going ( those wax and sawdust cakes are nice ) . You have to have a screen that burn boxes are often made of. Our town does it twice a year. $5 a box. (reams of paper box)
We have a shredder. Was worth it when we had the business and generated tons of paper.
Now I'd probably burn the small amount we make in the bbq pit (with a screen).

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 15, 2017 11:34AM
It seems like it depends on if your urban area has many large businesses that need shredding. Assuming your map location is current, I didn't see any in your town but there are several in the Boston, and two in Hanover.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2017 11:35AM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 15, 2017 11:37AM
You could always take 20lbs or so to staples, $20 to get rid of 90% of it?

Might want to watch for Staples coupons... I always seem to get them for "office work" as opposed to actual coupons.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 15, 2017 11:41AM
The Credit Union around here has an industrial shredding company come in a few times a year for a "Shred Saturday." You can have all your stuff disposed of for free. Google and/or ask around, there may be one in your area.
Date: July 15, 2017 12:16PM
Thanks. I'll keep my eyes and ears open locally. In the meantime, my shredder is doing okay. I just have to take my time. smiling smiley
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: July 15, 2017 12:58PM
"The Paper Pig" is just down the road from me. Looks like they keep busy but they are commercial only.

Fred
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 15, 2017 01:08PM
.....on a cleaning day.....shred until shredder no longer works.......go back to cleaning......take a break and shred until machine stops....go back to cleaning......rinse and repeat......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: clay
Date: July 15, 2017 02:11PM
Will Collier
The Credit Union around here has an industrial shredding company come in a few times a year for a "Shred Saturday." You can have all your stuff disposed of for free. Google and/or ask around, there may be one in your area.

yup, we have those around here, too.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 15, 2017 02:33PM
AARP does shredding events a few times a year, depending on where you are.

At some charities (no links at the moment), you can buy a banker's box (about $10), stuff it, and they'll shred it for you. I want to say this was via Goodwill but I'm not certain.

Office supply places (OD, Staples, whatever) have a service, but they charge by the pound and they are not cheap.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 15, 2017 03:43PM
put it in water and leave it for a few days with an occasional stir. the ink will wash off, the paper break up from the stir. when its done just toss it.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2017 03:43PM by Ombligo.
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: July 15, 2017 06:52PM
Agree with the folks who suggest free community service if you're lucky enough to find one. We have a large but local bank chain here (suburb north of Chicago) that has four free "drive through" shredding days every year. Well organized. You drive up to a bucket-brigade of people who relay your boxes and bags to an on-site industrial shredder. They say they'll only take 20 lbs per car but I've never seen them actually weigh anybody's load.. Also -- check you local liquor store or Trader Joe's for empty wine boxes. They're exactly the right size for 8.5x11 paper so you can store your shredding up tidily. Came in very handy when we were closing out my inlaws' home. Mountains of old bank statements, etc. old enough to still have social security numbers on them!
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 15, 2017 07:05PM
There's an industrial shredder outfit in the L.A. area that does BYO personal shredding for cheap a couple of Fridays each month. It's like $3/box, up to like 8 or 10 boxes, and you get up to three free. It all depends on how busy they are, and who's working the window, but for throwing a few boxes in the car, you can't beat it. Trick I learned is to bring someone in the car w/ you to help average out the numbers. Sounds like AARP and other outfits may have similar availabilities in other areas.

I'm liking the bathtub ideas, not a fan burning stuff anymore... remember the backyard incinerators in the 50's & 60's? And burning the sugar cane husks in Hawaii? Air pollution is bad.

And on another side note, in the 90's, I remember chasing 2GB 7200RPM UWSCSI drives from $399 apiece down to about $150 each until starting to pop for larger drive sizes... of course there was also the $3500 gargantuan sized 150MB external from the 80's. How many TB's for under $100 these days???
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 184
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015