Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $151.69 ( -1.70 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Part 2 of today's projects.
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 15, 2017 12:24PM
The trackpad on my wife's 2009 Macbook (white unibody) has been acting up. Okay, I probably screwed things up when I tried to clean the computer a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, unlike most of the issues I've seen reported in my research, the "clicking" aspect works fine. It's the movement of the cursor that's erratic. It's very much acting like when you have a dirty mouse - difficult to drag accurately, etc.

I tried cleaning it according to a YouTube video that had lots of positive comments, but after buttoning everything back up, the cursor movement hasn't improved. Next step seems to be a new trackpad. I'm inclined to try a Grade A used one for about $18 rather than brand new for $70 or so.

I already suggested it, but she doesn't want a new computer. Any other thoughts? Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Part 2 of today's projects.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: July 15, 2017 12:44PM
Erratic cursor movement is often a sign of a failing/swollen battery.

Got the skills to crack the case open and have a look?

Date: July 15, 2017 01:07PM
Well, I already replaced the battery last year when I installed an SSD. It's been fine until that day I "cleaned" it.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 15, 2017 01:09PM
It might be crap stuck in the edges. Think you can take the trackpad out and clean it?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: July 15, 2017 02:05PM
Yep. I did that, too, based on the info in this video. Then I noticed that was for a Macbook Pro, but I also found this one for the white Macbook.

Since the cleaning didnt do the trick, that's why I'm wondering if a replacement might be the answer.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 16, 2017 07:28AM
does an external mouse work fine? This will tell you that you don't have a software problem. It would be a shame to replace the trackpad, and then learn you had some corrupt preference file.

Or how about a new user account?
Date: July 17, 2017 09:10AM
Sorry for the delay. Yes, an external mouse works fine. I've ordered a replacement trackpad. We'll see how that goes. Thanks for the thoughts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 265
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015