Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $150.38 ( -0.64 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Onyx Question
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: July 15, 2017 07:06PM
My late '09 iMac with 10.9.5 has been a bit sluggish, with Safari not behaving well, so I decided to run Onyx. The first step, startup disk verification, has been going for over two hours now. Is it supposed to take so long? The HD is a 2TB with maybe 65% full.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Onyx Question
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 15, 2017 07:20PM
If it's verifying every bit of the drive, it could take a while.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 15, 2017 08:07PM
Or the drive is dying. Get a backup NOW!
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: July 15, 2017 08:10PM
It's the same routine as you'd see in the Disk Utility and would reasonably be done in about 10 minutes when run on a 2TB boot HD... Unless you've got really bad problems with it. Lag like that tends to point to serious hardware problems. Run a SMART check with SMART Utility.

Posted by: jdc
Date: July 15, 2017 08:13PM
Running onyx wont do anything except waste your time. =(

----

[www.fakesteve.net]
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 15, 2017 08:42PM
jdc
Running onyx wont do anything except waste your time. =(

Please explain that to my friends whose computers I fixed by running ONYX.
Posted by: polychrome
Date: July 15, 2017 08:58PM
The verification process shouldn't take that long, hope nothing is amiss with your hard drive. I don't know if doing a force quit on Onyx is a good idea or not.
Date: July 15, 2017 10:33PM
OK, bailed out of Onyx (after 5 hours or so) by just quitting. Ran SMART Utility:

Is the drive really failing? I have seen 'failing' diagnoses that were, it seems, hyperbole.

Details:

I've no idea what the details mean.

My iMac does a nightly clone, in addition to the TM backup. But I'm uneasy about replacing the drive in this machine (27" iMac). I guess I could buy some suction cups. . .

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 15, 2017 10:46PM
removing the glass is easy, you can actually use your fingertips. Might take all of 5 seconds.

Its after that, Installing a new HDD takes more work, and means a temp sensor...

----

[www.fakesteve.net]
Date: July 15, 2017 10:50PM
mrlynn
Is the drive really failing? I have seen 'failing' diagnoses that were, it seems, hyperbole.

A few bad sectors alone may not be enough to call a drive "dying." It's hard to judge how many bad/remapped sectors must accumulate in order to jeopardize the data on it. Every drive is a little different in this respect. As a rule of thumb, if the number of bad/remapped sectors is small then I'll say that a drive is in "pre-fail" and needs to be replaced only if the number of bad sectors is clearly growing over time.

However, combine bad sectors with DMA errors which can point to cache problems on the drive's board and toss in the performance problems that you're experiencing and IMHO that drive is poised to be toast and you should replace it ASAP.

Edit: Sorry. Thought you had a 2011. Just re-read your 1st post. No temp sensor issue in a 2009.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2017 11:00PM by Onamuji.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 16, 2017 01:22AM
53000 hours??? have you been running that machine nonstop since it was delivered?
Date: July 16, 2017 07:00AM
hal
53000 hours??? have you been running that machine nonstop since it was delivered?

The iMac sleeps at night, but is never shut down except for vacations and thunderstorms.

/Mr Lynn
Date: July 16, 2017 10:26PM
Would it make sense to switch to an external drive if (or when) the internal fails? Would have to be USB2 or Firewire 800.

/Mr Lynn
Date: July 16, 2017 10:58PM
mrlynn
Would it make sense to switch to an external drive if (or when) the internal fails? Would have to be USB2 or Firewire 800.

/Mr Lynn

Some seem satisfied with that solution.

It would not be as fast, tho a SSD's random read/write speed might minimize the perceived effect.

If you'd have to hire someone to replace the internal then it'd probably be more economical to just go with an external.

But consider another alternative: Replace the whole iMac with a new one. Eight years is old for a personal computer.

Date: July 17, 2017 05:49AM
Onamuji
mrlynn

/Mr Lynn

Some seem satisfied with that solution.

It would not be as fast, tho a SSD's random read/write speed might minimize the perceived effect.

If you'd have to hire someone to replace the internal then it'd probably be more economical to just go with an external.

But consider another alternative: Replace the whole iMac with a new one. Eight years is old for a personal computer.

A 2+ TB SSD would be pretty expensive.

Would it be possible to use the old 27" iMac as an external monitor for a new 27" one? Right now I use a even older 20" Dell monitor.

/Mr Lynn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2017 05:50AM by mrlynn.
Date: July 17, 2017 06:06AM
mrlynn
Would it be possible to use the old 27" iMac as an external monitor for a new 27" one? Right now I use a even older 20" Dell monitor.

It's possible. The 2009 iMac should support display-mode.
[support.apple.com]

But in my experience it doesn't always work. One of those things that you have to try with your unique combination of Macs and cables. With a new iMac, you'd need a USB-C-to-Mini-Displayport adapter as well as a Mini Displayport cable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2017 06:06AM by Onamuji.
Date: July 17, 2017 10:15AM
Thanks, O and others. I'm not sure what to do. Probably will continue on and see how my 2TB internal is doing. If it goes south, maybe try installing a new one (maybe 3TB?), or just limp along with an external. Is FW800 faster than USB2?

A new iMac, spec'd out as I'd like (3TB, 16+ GB, i7?) is pretty pricey; even Oct '15 refurbs are $2k or so.

Of course I used to say I'd wait for the forthcoming Mac midsize tower with user-accessible insides, and an external 27" monitor. But that never happened. . .

And I need to update my 2010 13" MBP travel computer. Maybe I should just get a new MBP, and go back to external monitor, keyboard, HD. One computer instead of two. Would a new MBP 13" run the old iMac in Display Mode?

Of course, my two SEs still work. . .

/Mr Lynn
Date: July 17, 2017 05:28PM
mrlynn
Would a new MBP 13" run the old iMac in Display Mode?

Same deal. USB-C-to-Mini-Displayport adapter and a Mini Displayport cable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 338
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015