Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $153.96 ( -2.11 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Tablet screen protector options?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 16, 2017 05:37AM
Bit on a Fire HD tablet on Prime Day... any recommendations for a screen protector? Film, glass, plastic, other? None? Do have a couple of unused HP TouchPad screen protectors than could be cut down to size if that's a viable alternative. Yes/no, other alternatives? I'm a bit of a non-glare fan, and the HP TP screen protectors are non-glare film. I don't understand the allure of the glass protectors if anyone can articulate.
Thanks.
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Tablet screen protector options?
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 16, 2017 07:57AM
I vote for none. We never used one on our iPad or iPhones.
Posted by: max
Date: July 16, 2017 08:40AM
Glass is to protect against scratches, with todays technology the original surface is tough enough, so I see its use as pointless.
I do use film protectors and these have paid off for me many times, I have one on the current iPad.
The iPad is a tool used in business, on the plant floor, on job job sites etc, it gets dropped, it gets used and abused. Stuff gets scratched, dented and broken. The film keeps the screen from shattering. it might be split, it might be spider webbed, but the film keeps it working.
OTOH it is also cheap, 50 cents, installed by an expert, unfortunately, in China....
Posted by: Forrest
Date: July 16, 2017 08:44AM
Never used a screen protector on any of our tablets. I do recommend a case to cover the screen when not in use. Five Below sells them.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 16, 2017 09:26AM
I use a Speck case; the layer of finger grease that seems annoyingly impervious to cleaning is all the screen protection I have.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 16, 2017 10:49AM
Case yes, skip the screen protector.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: July 16, 2017 10:55AM
Well - they're pretty cheap insurance (should set you back $10 - $15, tops).
I recommend getting glass - the film/polymer ones I've seen (on acquaintances' phones) always seemed to have three drawbacks:
- they peel with age
- they develop bubbles
- they feel "sticky" compared to glass

Doing a quick search, there are close to 400 to choose from on Amazon meant for "FIRE HD")
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: July 16, 2017 11:32AM
All I know is that a few days ago, my retina iPad screen cracked! Guess one of the falls it took finally hit the wrong way for it. I don't know if a screen protector would've helped, but now I wish I'd had one on it...dunno smiley

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: max
Date: July 16, 2017 12:45PM
GuyGene
All I know is that a few days ago, my retina iPad screen cracked! Guess one of the falls it took finally hit the wrong way for it. I don't know if a screen protector would've helped, but now I wish I'd had one on it...dunno smiley
Bingo.
THAT is the reason I have a film protector, it keeps the shards together and the iPad working...
Posted by: Carm
Date: July 16, 2017 12:57PM
I have had screen protectors only on iPhones. Glass and plastic. My wife has manage to crack two screen protectors on iPhone 6S Plus. No broken screens on 5 iPads we have owned, scratched from wife's rings yes. I think that a quality case is the main factor. All of our cases have had corner bumper protection (TPU bumpers or ridiculous thick foam in kids iPad) one corner damaged ipad 3 that was out of a case for one day.

Edit: plastic does feel sticky because of the friction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2017 12:59PM by Carm.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 16, 2017 03:12PM
Thanks. I've generally used either matte film protectors, or gone bareback w/ phones and tablets. Eventually matte film seems to get wear spots and/or bubble. It just seems that the last couple of years every time I look for screen protectors more and more glass protectors show up, so I figure the huddled masses must be buying 'em in increasingly greater quantity for reasons beyond my grasp. I'll probably just stick w/ the standard matte film choice.

I ordered a couple of sets of matte film for the old HP TP's, and the convenience of the Touchstone charger won out over the longevity of the screen protectors... taking the TP's in and out of the fancy leather cases seemed to cause the matte film protectors to peel prematurely, so we gave up on replacing them and have a couple left that could be cut down to Fire HD size; unless the film protector tech has improved so much in the last six years that it warrants going new tech. Any thoughts?
Thanks again.
==
Posted by: Carm
Date: July 16, 2017 03:42PM
In the glass vs film game. Glass seems to be the preferred favorite of the masses. I like them for the scratch resistance, feel, and non bubbling. I don't like them because of the cracking edges or cracks. Wife and son have cracked/ broken "shatter proof" H9 glass screen protectors. There are different varieties of films. matte, multiple layered, hard plastic included with some phone cases like incipio/pelican, self healing, etc... I liked the hard plastic similar to glass with more resistance to cracking.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 16, 2017 08:06PM
Carm
... No broken screens on 5 iPads we have owned, scratched from wife's rings yes. ....

Those diamonds...
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 16, 2017 09:53PM
Keep in mind that most tablets come with a coating that reduces fingerprints. But most 'protectors' don't, which can mean far worse glitches from fingerprints etc when using a screen protector.

I noticed this on an iPhone a few years ago. Pulled off the screen protector, much better experience.

What I do is have these in a case with a rim so that if you drop it on the ground, it won't land directly on the screen.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 17, 2017 03:52PM
The film also yellows over time.

Glass here for 2 iPad Air, and a new iPhone SE.

SDGuy
Well - they're pretty cheap insurance (should set you back $10 - $15, tops).
I recommend getting glass - the film/polymer ones I've seen (on acquaintances' phones) always seemed to have three drawbacks:
- they peel with age
- they develop bubbles
- they feel "sticky" compared to glass

Doing a quick search, there are close to 400 to choose from on Amazon meant for "FIRE HD")
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 17, 2017 06:46PM
......protects the screen from scratches more than anything else....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: July 17, 2017 07:35PM
The older little one here has had a Kids Fire Tablet since last year,goes EVERYWHERE with her, and it's been just fine without anything but the big high density foam cover that ships with it.

If a 2 yer old can't hurt it, I doubt that you need anything on yours.

The 14 month old is now also sharing the tablet and a "naked" iPhone 4s with her older sister and so far it too has nary a scratch.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2017 07:36PM by Harbourmaster.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 286
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015