advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $152.09 ( +1.82 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
On the To-Do list for years-finally checked off!
Posted by: DP
Date: July 16, 2017 08:04AM
For years we've wanted to replace the 70s aluminum siding on our house. Here's the back of the house with the old siding:

It has covered the original cedar shingle and as well as looking old and not what we felt ever matched the personality of the house, pieces of the old siding were coming off in storms over the years. After the Big Windstorm in March more had come off and was exposing wood underneath. Also, a few years ago I had awakened to the sound of a slapping noise during a Winter storm and saw some siding had been coming off in the wind. I had did a quick repair the next day but I had siding with screws holding it on and it was looking shabby.
We finally got it together and replaced it with composite as we didn't want the upkeep of real cedar shingle and the latest product is excellent for weather resistance. In addition, the house was wrapped with Tyvek and I finally had gable vents put in that have never been on the house up to this point!

Here's the back of the house with the new stuff:

And a closeup of the texture of the siding:

The only glitch was that I wanted something with a little more red in the color to match closer to the brick but my life liked the color we have and, as we all know, happy wife, happy life, right? And I do need to update the downspouts and some other small follow ups.

So finally, a project that's been on the list for a long time-done!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: On the To-Do list for years-finally checked off!
Posted by: billb
Date: July 16, 2017 08:35AM
That looks pretty nice but would have liked a darker color too.
Haven't seen "shake" shingle in a long time . Looks good there.

dunno if I care for the trimout on the windows, can it be painted or ordered in a color to match the window rather than the siding color ?
Who makes it ?

I need to paint my house and I'm procrastinating because I don't like vinyl siding, especially the required window trims and am considering just unpainted new shingles ( which allows for a Tyxek type upgrade ) and hate painting.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin

BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Posted by: rgG
Date: July 16, 2017 09:17AM
Looks very nice!
You need to make sure to get a kitty in the "after" pic next time. You have one in the "before." smiling smiley

Is this a cementituous product or more like the composite decking material?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 16, 2017 09:18AM
Guess you never got your shingles vaccine.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: July 16, 2017 09:38AM
I like the colors, and the house looks great! smileys with beer Except, as noted above, for lack of kitty.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: July 16, 2017 10:04AM
Congrats! Much improved.

Posted by: DP
Date: July 16, 2017 11:12AM
billb

dunno if I care for the trimout on the windows, can it be painted or ordered in a color to match the window rather than the siding color ?
Who makes it ?

I need to paint my house and I'm procrastinating because I don't like vinyl siding, especially the required window trims and am considering just unpainted new shingles ( which allows for a Tyxek type upgrade ) and hate painting.

It actually looks a little lighter in bright daylight. I think that, even tho it has a "rough" texture, the surface is smooth so that it reflects a lot of the sky when looking up at it.
It's Certainteed composite. I thought it was cool that the product had little strip thermometers on it and had guides to where the nails go in to compensate for the expansion coefficient!

bill-have you ever heard of Rhino-Shield? It's a ceramic infused polymer that comes in colors. Their claim to fame is that you never have to paint ever again.

Posted by: prymsnap
Date: July 16, 2017 11:46AM
Really lovely.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 16, 2017 12:09PM
I like it! thumbs up

I'm so sick of seeing aluminum or vinyl siding, that everyone seems to get nowadays when doing a remodel.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: billb
Date: July 16, 2017 12:35PM
DP
billb

Who makes it ?

It actually looks a little lighter in bright daylight. I think that, even tho it has a "rough" texture, the surface is smooth so that it reflects a lot of the sky when looking up at it.
It's Certainteed composite. I thought it was cool that the product had little strip thermometers on it and had guides to where the nails go in to compensate for the expansion coefficient!

bill-have you ever heard of Rhino-Shield? It's a ceramic infused polymer that comes in colors. Their claim to fame is that you never have to paint ever again.

Their website is confusing.
Supposedly "composite" is coming soon and there's no info.

Gah, maybe I'll try again later.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin

BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Posted by: Carm
Date: July 16, 2017 12:46PM
Looks good DP. What's the warranty on that product?
Posted by: riley5108
Date: July 16, 2017 01:16PM
I think it looks nice!!

We replaced old vinyl siding across the front of our home with Certainteed Composite Staggered Rough-Split cedar shake siding 4 years ago. We were perhaps lucky getting a color that complemented our lighter (not so red) brick. Our home has 12/12 roof pitch of which there are 3 so there was a lot of material waste in the peaks (expensive waste) since it came in 6' sheets. At that time we had to hire a certified person to have it installed.

We love it and think you will too.

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 16, 2017 01:58PM
rgG
Looks very nice!
You need to make sure to get a kitty in the "after" pic next time. You have one in the "before." smiling smiley

Is this a cementituous product or more like the composite decking material?

Yeah, C'mon man!!! Cat Power!

Beautiful job btw.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 16, 2017 07:49PM
looks good, but to be honest, it looked good in the "before" picture too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 186
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015