advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I, for one, welcome our new Tardigrade Overlords. Will they outlive all other species?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 16, 2017 09:22AM

[sg.news.yahoo.com]

If a monster space rock crashes into our planet or radiation from an exploding star boils our oceans, humans and most other life forms will disappear.

But one creature is sure to survive, according to a study published Friday.

And it will keep going for as long as the Sun doesn't die -- at least another 10 billion years.

Earth's designated heir is the tardigrade, a microscopic, grub-like, eight-legged animal that can live in water or on land, in extreme pressure high or low.

Also known as a water bear or moss piglet, it can withstand sizzling heat, freezing cold, and high radiation, 30 years without food, and even being dried to a crisp.

Despite its diminutive size -- under a millimetre (0.04 inches) -- it is considered the world's toughest animal.

The tardigrade, said researchers from Oxford and Harvard, will survive all foreseeable astrophysical catastrophes -- asteroid strikes, exploding stars (supernovae) or gamma ray bursts -- and "be around for at least 10 billion years."

That is far better than the diagnosis for our own species.

"Without our technology protecting us, humans are a very sensitive species. Subtle changes in our environment impact us dramatically," said Rafael Alves Batista of Oxford University, a co-author of the study in the journal Scientific Reports.

"There are many more resilient species on Earth. Life on this planet can continue long after humans are gone."

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I, for one, welcome our new Tardigrade Overlords. Will they outlive all other species?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 16, 2017 09:41AM
pRICE,

Kind of begs the question... All things considered equal, which is tougher. A tardigrade or a cockroach? I suspect both species will outlive humanity in the event of a global disaster.

Robert
Re: I, for one, welcome our new Tardigrade Overlords. Will they outlive all other species?
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: July 16, 2017 10:15AM
Humanity has the ability to compensate for weakness by using whatever is available to us in the environment. We are one of few relatively hairless animals to survive the ice age. We are the only mammal living on every continent, including Antarctica. Even if only 2000 of us survive, we'll return. It's happened before.
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 16, 2017 10:39AM
That thing is the stuff of nightmares. Thank goodness it's tiny.

But yeah, it will be there right along with cockroaches, pigeons, mosquitos (and probably squirrels).
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 16, 2017 12:04PM
S. Pupp
Humanity has the ability to compensate for weakness by using whatever is available to us in the environment. We are one of few relatively hairless animals to survive the ice age. We are the only mammal living on every continent, including Antarctica. Even if only 2000 of us survive, we'll return. It's happened before.

Reassuring to think that we can survive to be a mass extinction event again.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 16, 2017 12:11PM
Imagine those dudes if they were the size of cattle! terrified smiley

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 16, 2017 02:54PM
Finally a pet that the kids can't kill.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: steve...
Date: July 16, 2017 04:13PM
Is it true they can survive the vacuum of space? I wasn't aware anything could.

Posted by: SDGuy
Date: July 16, 2017 05:43PM
steve...
Is it true they can survive the vacuum of space? I wasn't aware anything could.

huh smiley This was well-documented over 30 years ago...
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 16, 2017 06:42PM
wurm
That thing is the stuff of nightmares. Thank goodness it's tiny.

Awwwwww. I think it's cute!

It's a little 8-legged bearpig! with that cute little Alien-extendo death-sucker.

How can anyone resist a (non-)face like that?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 16, 2017 06:48PM
pRICE cUBE
will survive all foreseeable astrophysical catastrophes -asteroid strikes, exploding stars (supernovae) or gamma ray bursts -- and "be around for at least 10 billion years."
[/i]

It'll all be reruns by then anyway. Won't matter.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: July 16, 2017 10:23PM
There are better swimmers. . .

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 17, 2017 11:56AM
I don't know if they'll outlive everything else, but they'll outlive humans, that's for sure.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 17, 2017 12:25PM
There's your answer to what we're likely to find on Mars (or any of the others).
Posted by: MysteryGuest
Date: July 17, 2017 01:02PM
Seen the pictures. Never seen the video before. Adorable and creepy.
Posted by: steve...
Date: July 17, 2017 01:04PM
Interesting. I found an article that says Russian astronauts on the ISS claim to have found living sea plankton on the exterior of the station that likely originated from Earth.

The working theory is that atmospheric currents could be scooping up the organisms then carrying them all the way to the space station, though that would mean the currents could travel an astonishing 205 miles (330 km) above the planet.

NASA has not yet confirmed the discovery.

ExtremeTech

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 237
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015