Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mail Client other than Mail for 10.6.8?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: July 16, 2017 12:56PM
So, for the first time in about two months, I'm sitting down at my 2008 iMac, thinking for the 27th time that it's really time to replace it and get updated to something more modern... Friend of mine has a 2011 iMac 27" I'm thinking about buying from him... but that's another story.

Mail is becoming increasingly reluctant to check my several (9? 10? A bunch...) email accounts reliably. Mostly due to the stone tablet version I'm forced to use.

So I was wondering... what OTHER mail clients (free is better, but for a good one, I'd pay as long as I can take it forward with me to newer OS's) that would work on 10.6.8 and have the following features;

*Must do IMAP (are there any that don't any more??)
*Must be able to keep a local copy of mail from an IMAP account.
*Must be able to manage multiple accounts, mostly GMail, but a few others.
*Must have some internal spam filtering.
*Should be able to set up "rules" like Mail...

Anything out there I'm unaware of?

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mail Client other than Mail for 10.6.8?
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 16, 2017 01:37PM
I have more email accounts than that, including Gmail accounts, and Apple's Mail is handling them well. I have rules set up to send certain messages from IMAP accounts to local folders. It works fine in Snow Leopard.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 16, 2017 02:21PM
Get a gmail account, have THAT gmail account gather email from all other email accounts and then have apple mail gather mail ONLY from the gmail account. That way Apple mail is going to only one account for mail and it's already spam-free.
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 16, 2017 02:50PM
After never having issues with Apple mail in 10.6, when I moved to 10.11 it became super sluggish. Since I live my whole work life in email, I bought postbox.

3 months in, Im ready to dump it. if thats what you are thinking of trying. Its "meh" -- and I find many things that were easy in mail to be cumbersome in PB. Searching, seeing the email you sent, attachments, even the prefs pane is confusing.

and its not earth shattering different -- side by side they look nearly the same.... but mail looks better, at least to me.

My email needs are fairly simple, since I only have 1 account, but I get hundreds of emails daily, and they are all managed by rules and smart mailboxes.

Theres no reason mail shouldnt be able to handle your emails if configured right?

Oh, and my issue with mail was pretty much a result of old inboxes being transferered over and over and over again. Once I started from scratch, poof, back to perfect.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: July 16, 2017 03:13PM
jdc

Theres no reason mail shouldnt be able to handle your emails if configured right?

Oh, and my issue with mail was pretty much a result of old inboxes being transfered over and over and over again. Once I started from scratch, poof, back to perfect.

I suspect that something like this is causing Paul's problems.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 16, 2017 03:45PM
Kinda what jdc & kj are sayin'... had similar issues here, and starting over and rebuilding everything helped the most. Then, rule-wise, it can be a fuster cluck trying to get it right; remember, once a rule touches an email, it may inoculate it from add'l rules. You really have to think thru the logic in Mail-worthy fashion to get them all to work right. It might be worth it to pay a Mail guru to create, set up, and test your rule set, as one faulty line in one rule can mess up your whole setup. You gotta go thru all your needs, and create a proper hierarchy of events and the tests that are needed to check for them. Good luck.
==
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 16, 2017 08:07PM
I've never found be rules complicated.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 17, 2017 12:30AM
jdc
I've never found be rules complicated.

Kinda depends on how many email accounts are being aggregated, and what you're trying to do w/ the email once it's received... if you throw a couple of white lists to forward to a mobile only account, and a few other twists, it can get daunting. Toss in a few mobile devices that might touch an occasional email first, and it gets tougher. Using a separate gmail account to pre-filter everything as hal noted, is what I found works best when things start to get complicated... makes the rules a lot simpler to manage.
==
Date: July 17, 2017 08:16AM
My rules are pretty simple: variations on "save a copy to a local folder", usually. For example, Family, Newsletters, etc. Everything addressed to the email address(es) that I use for my little business goes into a folder for that. This all worked more consistently in Snow Leopard than in Mavericks. In Mavericks, it seems as if the application of rules can be disrupted by not letting the message retrieval process finish before clicking on an email. There are some other quirks, but fairly minor.
Posted by: decay
Date: July 17, 2017 08:52AM
Have you taken a look at any lists? I don't know how many will support 10.6, however.

[www.lifewire.com]

---
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 17, 2017 09:45AM
Hi everyone,

Just an FYI, the current version of Postbox - which I use - isn't supported under Snow Leopard. The current flavor requires 10.10 or newer.

Robert
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 17, 2017 10:14AM
For Thunderbird the last release that supported 10.6.8 was version 45, [ftp.mozilla.org].

There were some beta releases after that which supposedly supported 10.6.8, the last is here - [ftp.mozilla.org].

Edit: added links, corrected last full release version.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2017 10:27AM by JoeH.
Posted by: decay
Date: July 17, 2017 01:33PM
I would try Thunderbird, good idea.

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 206
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015