Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Nissan vs. Nissan Lawsuit
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 16, 2017 08:36PM
I wanted to ckeck out a few Nissan car models and I type nissan.com and I end up here

[nissan.com]

This is NOT about cars, it seems this person registered the name and website long before Nissan the car maker tried to use the Nissan name.

[www.digest.com]

Interesting.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Nissan vs. Nissan Lawsuit
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 16, 2017 09:28PM
I'm inclined to side with Nissan motors at this point. Which is the opposite of what I thought 10 years ago when I first heard of this. Given how absolutely horrible that website is he is obviously cyber squatting. There is absolutely no way he is using that website as part of a business to attract customers.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 16, 2017 10:58PM
Is this case still going on after all these years? That's crazy.

Posted by: Mr645
Date: July 17, 2017 07:12AM
Back when the lawsuit took place the guy had a business called Nissan Computer services. The cars were called Datsuns. In court the judge determined that Nissan Computers was a legitimate business and had the rights to use their name.

Same thing happened with Ducati.com. It was first registered by a Ducati enthusiasts club and the seven offered to give the name to Ducati and Ducati declined. Some years later the club and site had grown and now the brand wanted the name. A negotiation took place at that point
Posted by: Billybob
Date: July 17, 2017 08:37AM
C(-)ris
I'm inclined to side with Nissan motors at this point. Which is the opposite of what I thought 10 years ago when I first heard of this. Given how absolutely horrible that website is he is obviously cyber squatting. There is absolutely no way he is using that website as part of a business to attract customers.

How is this website cybersquatting? CS requires a desire to profit off of a known brand. I see no evidence that Mr. Nissan is trying to make a buck from the car company. Rather, he is pissed and bitter at the scorched-earth tactics that the car co. employed to try to get that web address.

Yes, the website may be "horrible" and in bad taste, but if he isn't trying to collect a ransom from car co., then calling what he's doing CS is defamatory.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 17, 2017 09:35AM
....Nissan [ cup of noodles ].....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: July 17, 2017 09:41AM
Billybob
C(-)ris

How is this website cybersquatting? CS requires a desire to profit off of a known brand. I see no evidence that Mr. Nissan is trying to make a buck from the car company. Rather, he is pissed and bitter at the scorched-earth tactics that the car co. employed to try to get that web address.

Yes, the website may be "horrible" and in bad taste, but if he isn't trying to collect a ransom from car co., then calling what he's doing CS is defamatory.

Ok, fine. Then he is wasting the resource. Just as bad. If you can't use it, sell it. Don't hang on to it just because you are attached to it. If he was so attached to it why did he let it go to crap?

C(-)ris
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 17, 2017 09:53AM
Your point of view might have a leg to stand on if Nissan Auto had ever offered to buy the domain and pay a reasonable price. But from all appearances they went directly to suing the domain holder instead.

As for letting it go, perhaps it serves its purpose with the customers he has.
Posted by: max
Date: July 17, 2017 12:07PM
JoeH
Your point of view might have a leg to stand on if Nissan Auto had ever offered to buy the domain and pay a reasonable price. But from all appearances they went directly to suing the domain holder instead.

Very true,
and after Datsun's all out war upon him, he probably has no spare resources left to play with web site's aesthetics....
Date: July 17, 2017 12:40PM
JoeH

I have a hard time believing that at no point in this whole mess that neither side has ever put a reasonable dollar amount to purchase.

C(-)ris
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 17, 2017 02:05PM
He gave them an asking price, they responded with a $10 million lawsuit. Basically they could've had the name for a lot less than they spent in legal fees over the last 15-20 years. In the process Nissan Motors lost on almost every point.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 195
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015