advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Flickr: How Do I Define 'Family and Friends'?
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: July 17, 2017 10:21AM
I can't for the life of me figure this out. Flickr lets you restrict access to an album to 'Family and Friends'. But nowhere in Flickr's Help do I find any instructions how to define or list these people. Does anyone here know? Most are not Flickr members.

I can send sharing URLs to specific individuals by email. They can view the album(s), though they get ads and membership pitches. They cannot download pictures. I want them to be able to do so.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Flickr: How Do I Define 'Family and Friends'?
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 17, 2017 11:43AM
Go to the person's "Photostream (yes they've called it this for over a decade), Hover over the "Follow or Following" button and click the "more" dealie, then click friend, family or foe checkbox.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: July 17, 2017 12:48PM
mrlynn
Most are not Flickr members.

As I stated last time, there's simply no way to define a non-Flickr user as "Friends and Family". How would Flickr know who is looking at the photos if they're not a member?

You can remove the ads by paying for a Pro membership (for yourself). Then your viewers don't have to see ads.

My guest pass links allow downloads. So it probably has to do with your global download settings. It would need to be set to Anyone to allow non-Flickr members to download from a guest pass link.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2017 12:48PM by Gareth.
Date: July 17, 2017 12:52PM
vision63
Go to the person's "Photostream (yes they've called it this for over a decade), Hover over the "Follow or Following" button and click the "more" dealie, then click friend, family or foe checkbox.

You have to be following them in order to specify Friends/Family/etc.

Another easy way to see is to go to "You" > "People" then change it to "List", and then you can edit the Following/Friend/Family.
Date: July 17, 2017 12:58PM
Gareth
vision63

Another easy way to see is to go to "You" > "People" then change it to "List", and then you can edit the Following/Friend/Family.

What's the big deal with them signing up? It's free and you get an entire Terabyte of upload space. Or just put the pictures up publically.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 17, 2017 01:45PM
....blood......ties....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: July 17, 2017 02:25PM
vision63
Gareth
vision63

What's the big deal with them signing up? It's free and you get an entire Terabyte of upload space. Or just put the pictures up publically.

It's not up to me to get people to sign up. Some folks don't want to, for reasons of their own.

I don't think family photos should be made public unless the subjects decide to.

/Mr Lynn
Date: July 17, 2017 08:54PM
Gareth

Doesn't seem to recognize anyone not already on Flickr.

/Mr Lynn
Date: July 17, 2017 09:16PM
Gareth
My guest pass links allow downloads. So it probably has to do with your global download settings. It would need to be set to Anyone to allow non-Flickr members to download from a guest pass link.

I made that change, and it works. Thanks, Gareth!

/Mr Lynn
Date: July 17, 2017 09:26PM
mrlynn
Gareth

Doesn't seem to recognize anyone not already on Flickr.

Well, yes, Family/Friends ONLY works with Flickr users. There's NO way to make it work with unregistered guests, b/c Flickr would have no way of knowing who these unregistered guests are when they're browsing the site.
Date: July 18, 2017 12:36PM
mrlynn
vision63
Gareth
vision63

It's not up to me to get people to sign up. Some folks don't want to, for reasons of their own.

I don't think family photos should be made public unless the subjects decide to.

/Mr Lynn

Well I'm glad you guys figured it out.
How Do I Define 'Family and Friends'?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 18, 2017 01:25PM
....with boundaries......well defined boundaries.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 241
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015