Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $156.07 ( -2.66 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
A true DSLR upgrade would provide High ISO warnings
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 17, 2017 01:38PM
Like when you were shooting at 3200 ISO the night before and in the morning you're just snappin' away in broad daylight and then you pull the stuff into Lightroom and there's the grain in your shot of that thing you lovingly photographed.

It should say, "Hey dummy, it's daytime, you sure you want to keep me set at 3200 ISO?" And NO, not Auto-ISO. That gets on my nerves but then I probably did it wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2017 01:39PM by vision63.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A true DSLR upgrade would provide High ISO warnings
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 17, 2017 02:11PM
I only have a P&S digital camera, so I always leave auto-iso off.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 17, 2017 02:23PM
But that grainy look is so artsy!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 17, 2017 03:47PM
vision63
Like when you were shooting at 3200 ISO the night before and in the morning you're just snappin' away in broad daylight and then you pull the stuff into Lightroom and there's the grain in your shot of that thing you lovingly photographed.

It should say, "Hey dummy, it's daytime, you sure you want to keep me set at 3200 ISO?" And NO, not Auto-ISO. That gets on my nerves but then I probably did it wrong.

Nah, I don't do that more than once a month. This is an easy feature addition and all you manual-only people with working memory can turn this Alzheimer's feature off.

But I need it.
Posted by: archipirata
Date: July 17, 2017 04:01PM
I have done that a few times but not in years. I've also left custom white balance set incorrectly and had pink pictures. And once I left the camera set on a 2 stop bracket so the first shot is -1 stop but I didn't hold the button down long enough for the bracket to kick in so each shot I took was the way underexposed first shot of a bracketed set. I now have a mental checklist I run through on the camera settings every time I pick it up for a new shooting situation to avoid just such problems.

Athens, OH
Date: July 17, 2017 04:51PM
Yeah, for the most part I have a checklist but since I share the camera with Mrs. Zealand, I need to put it back with the proper lens and all settings so she can P&S it. I don't usually run full manual but have many specific settings and running at Aperture Priority with a different lens so if I don't put it back, her pics are not so good. Honestly she knows most of it, having taken optics courses in college while I never did, but finding those settings on the camera is another thing entirely.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 17, 2017 05:03PM
Noise at ISO3200 on a dSLR is far less noticeable than the grain seen in ISO400 Tri-X film.

(and I'm old enough to remember when it was 400 ASA)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 17, 2017 05:40PM
I shoot on manual exposure very close to 100% of the time. So the worst that would have happened is I would have a few blown out shots before I discovered my error. If I'm being careless, like archipirata, I'm more likely to start out with the wrong white balance left over from a previous shoot than an ISO/exposure error.

Date: July 17, 2017 07:17PM
AllGold
I shoot on manual exposure very close to 100% of the time. So the worst that would have happened is I would have a few blown out shots before I discovered my error. If I'm being careless, like archipirata, I'm more likely to start out with the wrong white balance left over from a previous shoot than an ISO/exposure error.[/quote

Needless too say, I do that too. That's easier to fix though. I'm just slippin'
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 17, 2017 11:50PM
Done it. More common for me, though, is to lower the quality and forget, and then shoot a whole bunch of important event photos at 3mp. Nice.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 18, 2017 12:41AM
When I was a wee whippersnapper photographer, I would have loved changing ISO without removing the film from the camera old fogey smiley

That being said, it wouldn't be too difficult to have manufacturers create a custom setting that allows you to set a high and low range on auto ISO instead of letting it run such a wide gamut.

Posted by: Gareth
Date: July 18, 2017 01:39AM
pRICE cUBE
That being said, it wouldn't be too difficult to have manufacturers create a custom setting that allows you to set a high and low range on auto ISO instead of letting it run such a wide gamut.

It's certainly possible to restrict the auto ISO on most cameras already, I believe. Certainly all the ones I own.
Date: July 18, 2017 03:23AM
Gareth
pRICE cUBE

It's certainly possible to restrict the auto ISO on most cameras already, I believe. Certainly all the ones I own.

Yeah you can do that. But for the complete idiot I want the camera to evaluate the scene and warn me.
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 18, 2017 10:34AM
There may be a setting that by default is NOT enabled to give such a warning. Last October, I was at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta merrily snapping 50~100 shots before realizing there was NO memory card installed (and the Canon 60D I was using has NO onboard memory). The default is that the "missing card" warning is NOT active! banghead smiley
Date: July 18, 2017 12:32PM
testcase
There may be a setting that by default is NOT enabled to give such a warning. Last October, I was at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta merrily snapping 50~100 shots before realizing there was NO memory card installed (and the Canon 60D I was using has NO onboard memory). The default is that the "missing card" warning is NOT active! banghead smiley

DOH!!!!
Date: July 18, 2017 01:54PM
vision63
Gareth
pRICE cUBE

Yeah you can do that. But for the complete idiot I want the camera to evaluate the scene and warn me.

Yes, this would be a fantastic feature. The camera could just put up a message or warning light to indicate that you might be able to take a better pic if 'X' was changed (ISO, shutter speed, aperture, exposure bracketing, etc.). That could help people like me who know some of this and use it all the time but don't know all of it (I'm a bracketing noob). Or are just forgetful (me!! me!! *raises hand*).
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 18, 2017 06:12PM
This is why an old film camera is great, and I mean really old school. The kind of camera that does not even have a meter. If you screw up, you only have yourself to blame.
Date: July 18, 2017 06:29PM
freeradical
This is why an old film camera is great, and I mean really old school. The kind of camera that does not even have a meter. If you screw up, you only have yourself to blame.

That would be me with the pics of the places we traveled to on our honeymoon. All overexposed but ended up being vaguely usable after a wee bit of digital correction years later.
Posted by: billb
Date: July 19, 2017 03:00PM
heh, nanny cam

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 19, 2017 03:34PM
I hated film. One of the reasons is you never knew when the processing chemistry might be bad. Once I shot a story about bear hunting; a one-time situation. I took the film to a professional photo finishing business that I used at the time and they normally did good work. This time the chemistry was bad. I was able to pull some usable images from the shoot but some just weren't salvageable and the rest were pretty rough.

Another time when processing my own film, the chemistry either got contaminated or was bad out of the bottle (which was not unheard of). It wasn't too bad like the bear hunting thing but the film definitely didn't look as good as it should have. One of my images from that batch of chemistry ended up running in Sports Illustrated. It looked ok but I definitely would rather have had something in SI with my name on it look better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 170
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015