advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone order just kitchen cabinet doors?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 19, 2017 04:23PM
In 2011 our kitchen was sort of remodeled. New appliances and cabinets but they either bought the cheapest doors imaginable or reused the old doors and painted them white. The counter top was also either reused or the cheapest thing you could find at Home Depot. I'd like to replace the counter tops and the cabinet doors to update the look of the kitchen. The cabinets look identical to what you see at Home Depot in their demo section. I'm inclined to believe they came from there. I tried talking to a sales person and they said they don't sell just the doors and drawer faces. I'm not having a ton of luck finding something online where I would be able to measure and order and install myself. Any suggestions?

The Home Depot person suggested ordering new cabinets, swapping the faces and throwing away the new cabinets....

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone order just kitchen cabinet doors?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 19, 2017 04:57PM
Check your PM.
==
Posted by: bik
Date: July 19, 2017 05:44PM
Are your existing cabinets plywood construction, or MDF/particleboard?

The fronts are the most expensive parts of the cabinets. If the boxes are not already plywood, then you really should bite the bullet and do it all at once. Plywood boxes will last a lifetime. Anything else is on a timer so you might as well deal with it while you have things pulled apart.

If you DO already have plywood boxes, you might want to see if you can find any markings anywhere that indicate a brand. Many of the big brands will be able to sell parts and possibly/probably have the same sizes as when you last bought in 2011.

FYI – if you do buy just the fronts, you will probably be paying almost as much as all new cabinets, possibly more, if you're not careful.

There are companies that will send someone out to do the measurements. Home Depot offers it, but it's a deal with a 3rd party.
[www.kitchensandcabinets.com]
Posted by: Forrest
Date: July 19, 2017 06:17PM
Remove the door, strip the paint and stain or repaint.
Posted by: 3d
Date: July 19, 2017 06:59PM
IKEA sells just doors. Lotsa styles and colors.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 19, 2017 09:04PM
We went to a custom cabinet builder when we remodeled our kitchen. Found out later that he only builds
the boxes, he orders all the doors and drawer fronts from a large wholesaler. Everything still matched up fine.

Kitchen
[forums.macresource.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: davester
Date: July 19, 2017 10:26PM
I have not done it for the kitchen, but I ordered online custom cabinet doors for a built-in cabinet that I was building. They were great! I can't remember the outfit I used, but there are a lot of places online. The one I used had a very detailed website that told me how to measure, select hinges, etc, and had many choices of door type and finish. This site seems good, though there are many more that you can google. [www.amishcabinetdoors.com] or [www.cabinetdoors.com] . I don't understand why you can't find anything online. I googled custom cabinet doors and came up with tons of links.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2017 10:31PM by davester.
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: July 19, 2017 10:42PM
I had a cabinet shop for seven years and used these folks regularly.

[www.decore.com]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 20, 2017 06:27AM
I am currently going through a kitchen remodel. My hope was that a countertop and door/drawer replacements would suffice. Multiple cabinet shops (fyi - I found the local independents to be less costly and more informed than Lowes/Home Depot) advised to replace the boxes which while in very good condition were MDF. As one explained, MDF is just one water leak away from swelling or disintegration. If you put a new countertop on it - then you will have to pay to have it removed (replaced, if it breaks during removal), if the MDF goes bad.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: July 20, 2017 08:15PM
There are many places that manufacture and sell cabinet doors. Just google "buy cabinet doors" and you'll find plenty of options including cabinetdoorworld and cabinetdoormart and a slew of others.

Many custom kitchen builders don't make their own doors, or drawers for that matter. They make the boxes, then order doors and drawers and assemble everything and install it. That's not to say it's easy. But if you're happy with your basic layout, just save the money and get some new doors.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 209
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015