Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $153.14 ( +2.59 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New Tub and shower surround
Posted by: chopper
Date: July 24, 2017 11:50AM
There is a new plumbing company in town and I asked them to take a look at the upstairs bathroom.

They will rip out what is there and replace with new (old stuff is 1990s at least) tub and shower surround for a really good price. All quality stuff, new lines, etc. Incredible!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New Tub and shower surround
Posted by: fmgtech
Date: July 24, 2017 11:54AM
What is a really good price? I had a quote for something similar and it was over $10,000.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: July 24, 2017 12:11PM
chopper..just from the tone of your post it sounds like a scam...lol

please do tell more..product being used?..what are 'new lines?'

Plastic prefab surround? tile?

what kind of fixtures?
Posted by: chopper
Date: July 24, 2017 12:34PM
My posts have tone?

They are using this model.

I would not work in the bathroom or on that shower--its a Frankenstein of old hardware store bits by the previous owner -- for less than $5k.

They give a ten year warranty on work they do. Both plumbers are journeymen and live here in town. I think they are trying to get the word out.

[aquaticbath.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 24, 2017 02:50PM
$5K ? Yikes. All the more reason my fiberglass repair to our 1st floor bathtub seems like a good idea. I just have to blend in the epoxy coverup with a similar color. Maybe stick those flower stickers on it...
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 24, 2017 03:31PM
Good luck. Half the effort is just picking out the materials!

I just put in a new floor, ceramic/steel tub and tiled the walls in one of our bathrooms for a bit over $1K in materials. (plus dozens of hours of my time of course smiling smiley ). Cut out old fiberglass tub/shower surround (circa 1984). New paint. Kept the toilet and vanity.
Posted by: bik
Date: July 24, 2017 04:17PM
mikebw
Good luck. Half the effort is just picking out the materials!

I just put in a new floor, ceramic/steel tub and tiled the walls in one of our bathrooms for a bit over $1K in materials. (plus dozens of hours of my time of course smiling smiley ). Cut out old fiberglass tub/shower surround (circa 1984). New paint. Kept the toilet and vanity.

Nice work, man. Gorgeous.

I need to tackle that project soon.
Hope I do as well as you (and I also hope I can convince my wife to use bigger tiles instead of tiny subway tiles on the walls).
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 24, 2017 04:31PM
Thanks. Very much worth the effort IMO. Big tiles are great b/c you have potentially fewer cuts, but some of those cuts can be very long, leaving long skinny edges like these- (and more wasted sq. footage if you mess up a cut)

\

Probably used less grout too.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 24, 2017 05:50PM
I did our main bath last summer, it only took 3 days. Ebay for the Kohler plumbing, Lowes subway tile @ 22¢, Amazon for the niche; add in new cement board, hardware, etc total was less than $400.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: davester
Date: July 24, 2017 06:36PM
Nice tile jobs guys! My wife and I have done a bunch of tiling in our kitchen and bathrooms. If you're up to the DIY work it sure saves a ton of money and produces a premium product, way nicer than getting a fiberglass surround. It can be time-consuming, but the sense of satisfaction keeps on going and reappears every time you step into the room. Well worth it in my book. Also note that there are some prefab surrounds available that you can add tile to...I haven't tried one yet but sounds like a good idea.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Don C
Date: July 24, 2017 08:52PM
davester
If you're up to the DIY work it sure saves a ton of money and produces a premium product,

If it were MY DIY work, it would NOT be a premium product!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 289
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015