advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
any way to use iPhone 3GS as a security cam/baby monitor? (running iOS 6)
Posted by: clay
Date: July 30, 2017 09:33PM
Just got an iPhone 3gs. Wondering if I can easily repurpose it as a security camera or baby monitor. I know video quality isn't great, and don't really care about features. I literally just want to set up the camera and be able to login to the video stream from another device when desired. It doesn't need to record, doesn't need to do alerts, etc. Nothing fancy.

Possible?

One app/company that purports iOS 6 compatibility is: [www.presencepro.com]

another app that could work: [itunes.apple.com]

But I haven't looked into it much, or tried any apps yet.

Any ideas?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2017 09:36PM by clay.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: any way to use iPhone 3GS as a security cam/baby monitor? (running iOS 6)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 31, 2017 01:36AM
From a few days ago:

[forums.macresource.com]

No help but I once used an iPhone 4 as the display and an iPad 3 as the camera. I used it over a WiFi network and it worked well. I think I could also have used the 4 as the camera and the iPad as the display but for my use the opposite worked better. It was at least five years ago so I'm pretty sure the 4 was probably using OS 6, probably the iPad, too. I don't remember the app, thus the 'no help'.

Edit: my memory fails me. For certain I used the iPad as the camera but I probably used a Mac for the display.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2017 01:38AM by Speedy.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 31, 2017 10:30AM
Clay,

You might but honestly I'd say it isn't worth the effort. An IP cam is a better way to go. I'm using a Foscam IP camera as a baby monitor. See the thread in Speedy's link for details. It does the job nicely for viewing. Still can't get the DVR functionality to work and help from Foscam is pitiful at best. Fine for viewing and on-the-fly photos and recordings to my phone or ipad.

Robert
Posted by: clay
Date: July 31, 2017 10:35AM
yeah, I know IP cams are great. Have setup several for clients. Just trying to see if there's any way to just make it work using something I already have! Especially since my needs are so pedestrian! I had been looking at IP cams, but when I got this phone, thought it would at least be worth doing some quick checking.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 31, 2017 11:59AM
Clay,

Definitely worth checking. The biggest issue I've found using Presence is keeping the "camera" phone powered and mounting it in just the right position. Not so easy with a cell phone! Trust me. Tried it - lol! That and I definitely like pan/tilt/zoom, something that isn't workable with Presence.

Robert
Posted by: SparkyNimrod
Date: July 31, 2017 12:34PM
For some of my old iOS devices I've been considering using Manything: [manything.com]

Compatible devices: [manything.com]

However, according to their FAQ, the 3GS is limited to camera-only, and no live audio (only playback audio).
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 31, 2017 04:18PM
in case you are interested in a good IP cam -- $29 with code 4OQZ2K88

[www.amazon.com][t|link[p|1797405742[a|B019MMRV1M[au|5727177402741770316[b|gizmodo

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 193
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015