Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Trip to Dallas... Suggestions?
Posted by: jardster
Date: August 01, 2017 09:52AM
So I'm taking my 15 year old on a surprise trip to Dallas TX at the end of September to see a Cowbooys game. Ok, get over it, there are a lot of Cowboys fans and my kid is one of them, and he got straight A's all last year in school, so I thought he'd like it (who am I kidding, he's going to @#$%& himself when I tell him).

We are flying into Love Field on Sat AM and then will head to ATT stadium for a tour. Then the game on Sunday.

I was looking for suggestions of other things to do and places to stay. I'd like a hotel in a "fun" area, where it's fun to walk around and see stuff. But I will have a car, so driving is ok, as well.

Thanks in advance!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Trip to Dallas... Suggestions?
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 01, 2017 11:56AM
After relocating to Little Rock (from New Orleans due to Katrina), we started traveling the region a bit. Dallas is only about 4 hours away, so we decided to visit.

We were asked (usually by waiters) what brought us to Dallas; we replied, "vacation". Overwhelmingly, the response from everyone was, "Really? Dallas? on vacation?"

Take that as you will. For our short trip, we visited a few shopping malls and stores (first Ikea I'd ever been to, as well as my first Apple Store visit (Plano)), a water park, museums, the zoo. A nice trip overall but more of a shopping trip than a family vacation.

For that, I'd go back to San Antonio (the Riverwalk was one of our favorite simple family vacations) as well as Space Center Houston (which just got the Galileo back from NYC).

Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 01, 2017 12:01PM
Good man! Go Cowboys!

AT&T Stadium is right next to where the Rangers play so if you are interested in doubling your sports experiences. There are 2 Six Flags properties nearby the stadiums.

The Arlington Trolley is free if you stay at a participating hotel. [arlingtontrolley.com]
Now, when you stay at any participating hotel in Arlington’s entertainment district, you can enjoy a no-fare trolley ride from your hotel to any of these great destinations! (Some of our hotels offer fare-based service to AT&T Stadium for major events.) You get to avoid having to drive in the traffic that is part of what makes Arlington a city of vibrant change. Plus, you don’t have to pay parking fees!

Trolley eligible hotels [arlingtontrolley.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2017 04:05PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: August 01, 2017 01:01PM
I'd rather take a tour of the new Star up in Frisco than Jerryworld.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 01, 2017 01:03PM
We have relatives there, so trips to Big D are mostly just visits, rather than vacations. The eating and shopping sticks out more than any touristy stuff. Checking out the stadiums and hitting a Cowboys game would be highlights for me. Also, I'd check out the colleges around there as something to do.
==
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 01, 2017 01:05PM
.....so you wanna'......'does Dallas'.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 01, 2017 02:06PM
Really? No suggestions for Dealey Plaza or the Sixth Floor Museum yet?

It is what it is.
Date: August 01, 2017 02:10PM
NewtonMP2100
.....so you wanna'......'does Dallas'.....??
So helpful... thanks. Especially considering I'm taking my 15 year old.

Dealey Plaza and other JFK stuff are on the list.

Doing some investigating, it looks like staying "downtown" is the best idea and you can just walk, drive, cab to areas to do things.

Posted by: jimmy d
Date: August 01, 2017 02:41PM
I'm with Buzz on the "eating" part. The thing we remember most about our trip to Dallas was the food. No matter where or what we ate - from grilled cheese sandwiches to Crêpes Suzette - everything seemed to taste really special.

Also, we don't have much in the way of cafeteria restaurants in New England, but they seem to be tradition in parts of the South. We tried a large one in Dallas, very elaborate with amazing variety and excellent quality. It's especially fun if, like us, you haven't seen that sort of thing before. Ask a local for a good one.

Bon voyage et bon appétit!
Posted by: MarkD
Date: August 01, 2017 03:06PM
Not sure what you are interested in. Several Aviation museums in Fort Worth and Dallas (Closest is CR Smith Museum--American Airlines corporate south of DFW) Fundamentals on flight on Lemon Ave; Perot Natural history Museum in Dallas would be good (interactive stuff); some zoos, etc.:good art museums if so inclined (Kimball in Fort Worth; Amon Carter in Fort Worth has western stuff); Six flags, but may be closed by then; George W. Bush library on the SMU campus is pretty good and interesting (good technology in the light show at the beginning, interesting 9/11 part of the exhibit, tickets can be prebought on the internet so as not to waste time.) There is probably lots of shopping and just seeing stuff. There should be some good observation decks somewhere in Dallas. Have a great time!
Posted by: Cary
Date: August 01, 2017 03:17PM
I go to Dallas every few weeks on business. I agree - there's some really good food.

I recommend the Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum for BBQ. Very close to downtown and delicious. There's also a really cool candy store right across the street. (Deep Ellum is cool - a little artsy, but nice to walk around.)

Uncle Uber's has a great burger - also in Deep Ellum.

Big Tony's Philly Cheesesteaks is really good, too. Big Tony is from Philly, and does an excellent job.
Date: August 01, 2017 03:45PM
Cary
I go to Dallas every few weeks on business. I agree - there's some really good food.

I recommend the Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum for BBQ. Very close to downtown and delicious. There's also a really cool candy store right across the street. (Deep Ellum is cool - a little artsy, but nice to walk around.)

Uncle Uber's has a great burger - also in Deep Ellum.

Big Tony's Philly Cheesesteaks is really good, too. Big Tony is from Philly, and does an excellent job.

Thanks!!

Posted by: Z
Date: August 01, 2017 06:22PM
Yup - little Z was born in Dallas and we got to spend some quality time there (and are headed back for a long weekend in a couple weeks).

My how time flies. Anyway, onto the question at hand:

Good food and shopping options options in Dallas and Ft. Worth - yelp did a good job guiding us around.
Locals wondered why we were in town.
Good museums mentioned.
Hit the Central Market grocery store if you're a foodie - a fun place to wander around for a while.
The Tx State Fair may be going on while you're there in September. (EDIT: Looks like it'd have to be late September - The 2017 State Fair of Texas will run September 29 – October 22, 2017. Gates will open Friday, September 29, at 10 a.m. EDIT2: If you're going to the Rams game, you're good!)
[www.dmagazine.com] may have some good tips on seasonal goings on
White Rock Lake is a nice walk around - a map of the trails system in town is here - [www.dallasparks.org] - Katy Trail and Turtle Creek Trails are good for a walk as well.

Out of town a short ways:
McKinney might be worth a day visit on the northern end of the burbs. Square Burger was tasty.
There's great pie in Marble Falls on the way to Austin. [www.bluebonnetcafe.net]
There's a short drive to Corsicana for Pecan Street Fruitcake factory if you're wanting to do something weird - [www.collinstreet.com]

(rereading this - I guess we're food motivated!)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2017 07:22PM by Z.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 01, 2017 07:21PM
jimmy d
I'm with Buzz on the "eating" part. The thing we remember most about our trip to Dallas was the food. No matter where or what we ate - from grilled cheese sandwiches to Crêpes Suzette - everything seemed to taste really special.

I wholeheartedly agree. When people ask me about Dallas, I always mention how good the food there is.

It is what it is.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: August 01, 2017 07:53PM
Yes. Stay out of the sun and heat.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 02, 2017 01:46PM
[directory.dmagazine.com][section][0]=Attractions&

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 02, 2017 03:03PM
I suggest the Kimball Museum in Ft. Worth. Also, I doubt if there are many areas you can do much walking in Dallas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2017 06:48PM by Dennis S.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: August 02, 2017 08:22PM
A new favorite stop for me is Daiso—Japanese dollar store with lots of cool cheap stuff, including Japanese snack crackers and candy. There's one in Carollton and now in Arlington, too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 254
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015