advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone famous (or infamous) in your HS graduation class?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 05, 2017 02:03PM
For me...Fawn Hall
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone famous (or infamous) in your HS graduation class?
Posted by: gabester
Date: August 05, 2017 02:10PM
Nope, I don't think so - but I haven't really kept track. Statistically it's pretty unlikely. A friend when to middle school with one of the stars of Big Bang Theory. Meanwhile I did act opposite a girl in Cyrano De Bergerac in HS who got a few small time Hollywood bit parts, so I'm three degrees from Kevin Bacon!
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 05, 2017 02:20PM
Not the same year as me, but my high school graduated these two famous people.

Ron Jeremy
George "slam dunk" Tenet
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 05, 2017 02:39PM
Just me.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 05, 2017 02:40PM
Nope. Unless you count a state supreme court chief justice. Otherwise we were a bunch of dullards.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 05, 2017 02:40PM
None.

Posted by: tronnei
Date: August 05, 2017 02:43PM
From my class, St. Louis Park, MN 1979:

[en.wikipedia.org])

[en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 05, 2017 03:01PM
I've lost track of most of the members of my HS class. So no idea if any have become (in)famous. But classes before and after had a few MLB players, and some who only made it to the minors.

If my youngest sister had not wanted to go to another HS in town, then she would have been classmates with Elizabeth Banks when she attended my HS some years later.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: August 05, 2017 03:02PM
I don't know of any in my high school class, but there was a famous-ish one in my middle school class.

When I saw him in an episode of The X-Files, I thought, "Hey! I think I went to school with him."
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 05, 2017 03:05PM
Not from my HS, but from my Sea Scout ship. He snapped one night and cut off his GF's head because she was gurgling in her sleep. He called the wrong friend to hide the body and the jig was up. Life, no parole.
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: August 05, 2017 03:18PM
Remember "The Falcon and the Snowman"?

Classmates in high school. Snowman was one year older. Falcon was in the same grade.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 05, 2017 03:43PM
Bill Buckner, Yeah, THAT Bill Buckner.

Posted by: hal
Date: August 05, 2017 03:46PM
Not even close - I can't think of a single person in my entire high school that achieved any degree of fame.

Although when I was in 6th grade, there was a 5th grade girl on our 6th grade boys basketball team. She was pretty good compared to the rest of us - perhaps average, but compared to the girls... I often read about her scoring 100 points in HS games and later went on to play at UC Berkeley and then on to being a top flight NCAA coach. Obviously, this was long before any pro womens leagues.

I was very athletic as a kid and knew all of the regions top athletes. There was a few that I thought had a good chance to make it big.

Not one did.

Only the little sister of a friend of mine - she went on to be a tennis pro. Had some success in the doubles circuit and then a lengthy career in tennis broadcast.
Date: August 05, 2017 03:58PM
Todd's keyboard
Remember "The Falcon and the Snowman"?

Classmates in high school. Snowman was one year older. Falcon was in the same grade.

You grew up in PV? I had no idea.

It is what it is.
Posted by: artie67
Date: August 05, 2017 04:42PM
My senior class had two notables. Our school mascot was Larry Bell the modern style artist. You will find him in Sgt. Peppers Band in the lower left front.
Class President was my bus riding pal for four years. I've have a couple autographs with animation and wit from the worst pole vaulter on our track team. He's done well since with the Pythons and directing. Terrance Gilliam.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: August 05, 2017 04:59PM
The closest I've got is that my brother-in-law's sister dated Tracy Chapman. Did she have a fast car? No idea.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 05, 2017 05:20PM
None that I'm aware of. I think there were over 600 kids in our graduation class, so, maybe someone did go on to fame and fortune.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 05, 2017 05:24PM
2 biggest names were years after me, there when my younger brother was.

Cameron Diaz and Snoop Dogg.

Lots of sports peeps -- Bille Jean King, Tony Gywnn (and Chris), Chase Utley. Im sure theres a lot more, since my school was a huge football powerhouse, and basketball/baseball. Some lists have Carl Weathers on it, but might have only been for a year.

Other notables that some peeps might recognize -- Lita Ford, Jenni Rivera, Gary Gablich, Tom Mcewen and Wayne Thiebaud -- but might be more of a CA only thing.

Its also been in a couple of handfuls of movies.

Full list: [en.wikipedia.org]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2017 05:25PM by jdc.
Date: August 05, 2017 05:52PM
jdc
2 biggest names were years after me, there when my younger brother was.

Cameron Diaz and Snoop Dogg.

Lots of sports peeps -- Bille Jean King, Tony Gywnn (and Chris), Chase Utley. Im sure theres a lot more, since my school was a huge football powerhouse, and basketball/baseball. Some lists have Carl Weathers on it, but might have only been for a year.

Other notables that some peeps might recognize -- Lita Ford, Jenni Rivera, Gary Gablich, Tom Mcewen and Wayne Thiebaud -- but might be more of a CA only thing.

Its also been in a couple of handfuls of movies.

Full list: [en.wikipedia.org]

Long Beach Poly, IIRC.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2017 06:01PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: jh
Date: August 05, 2017 06:26PM
Humm. 48 years ago. Good grief that was a long time ago. Nobody of notice but guy I was in several senior classes was later killed in action in Vietnam. Two others joined the Metro Nashville Police department and were killed in the line of duty by gunmen.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 05, 2017 06:47PM
No.

It should have been me. I was destined to be a musician and composer but I allowed circumstances to pull me away from music entirely. The biggest regret of my life.

Posted by: DinerDave
Date: August 05, 2017 07:59PM
No, not really.

I did however tell a group of people I went outside to stand,
So they could tell everyone that I was OUTSTANDING!!

Dave

The secret to a long life is...

Don't do anything to shorten it.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: August 05, 2017 08:05PM
Hmmm, I just take it for granted that famous people graduate from almost everybody's High School. Although I can't think of too many that graduated with my class - my High School has been pretty consistent in famous peeps over the years - from singer Diana Ross to rapper Big Sean or from Lily Tomlin to David Alan Grier.

The Good - Kenya Moore Miss USA

The Bad - our crooked former Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick

The Ugly.... guess u can decide that one....Cass tech high school of Detroit alumni

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2017 08:05PM by ArtP.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: August 05, 2017 09:28PM
No. But I've done way better than anyone would've thought.old fogey smiley

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Date: August 05, 2017 10:40PM
I just looked, and quite a few NBA players over the years. Not surprising, as our basketball team frequently won state, usually for 4-5 year streaks too.

No idea if any were from my time, I don't follow sports ball, or have my yearbooks handy.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 05, 2017 11:02PM
Nope.

Posted by: digby
Date: August 05, 2017 11:59PM
What synchronicity -- I just walked out of my 45th high school reunion. It's running til midnight, but I got "peopled out".

Great gang, very diverse socio-economically, but none of them are doing anything more exciting than getting ready to retire from engineering/teaching/business jobs.

Now i want to run back inside and yell "The internet wants to know who's famous here?"
Maybe somebody'd surprise us all with something like "Me! I did makeup for Evil Dead: The Musical!"...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 06, 2017 01:52AM
....Sir Isaac Newton....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Bixby
Date: August 06, 2017 06:59AM
Michelle Williams of Destiny's Child (with Beyonce) was in my class. Didn't know her though.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 06, 2017 10:34AM
Nope. Only remotely famous person who ever went to my high school is a very sad story, Bjorn Nittmo (although long after I graduated another kid from the school married the Sabrina the Teenage Witch actress).
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 06, 2017 11:33AM
I just remembered that there was a somewhat famous stand up comic in my class. He was the first person I knew that was supposedly infected with HIV and at least for a while did a decent job at changing his life to try and stay alive.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: DavidS
Date: August 06, 2017 02:48PM
Our most recent, former UN Ambassador, Samantha Power was a classmate, cross-country teammate and friend of mine. We sat with her and her husband at our 20th reunion during the 2008 Presidential Campaign, shortly after she had been fired for calling Hillary "a monster." She gave the Graduation address at our high school a couple years ago.

Also, Ravi Naidu, an actor, was a friend and classmate.

Other notables include David Ryan Harris (singer), Jay Sekulow (Trump's attorney), and Donald Glover (actor).
Posted by: J Marston
Date: August 06, 2017 02:48PM
Pete Williams, NBC news man. Dick Cheney and Lynne Cheney went to the same high school, several years earlier than I did.

My dad went to high school in Bumf*ck Nebraska in a high school with about 100 students. A student a year ahead of him and one a few years behind him both won Nobel prizes; my dad, not so much.
Date: August 06, 2017 02:55PM
J Marston
Pete Williams, NBC news man. Dick Cheney and Lynne Cheney went to the same high school, several years earlier than I did.

My dad went to high school in Bumf*ck Nebraska in a high school with about 100 students. A student a year ahead of him and one a few years behind him both won Nobel prizes; my dad, not so much.

there is a Nobel Prize for advancements in cow tipping?
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: August 06, 2017 08:41PM
Racer X
J Marston

there is a Nobel Prize for advancements in cow tipping?

Absolutely.
The most recent one was for proving that the optimum value for a Holstein is exactly 14.8%.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 06, 2017 09:50PM
Not many people know it, but I'm famous.

(An old line from Cheers.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2017 10:14PM by Dennis S.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: August 06, 2017 10:08PM
Not in the same graduating class, but went to school with one person who had a brief pop music career and went on to broadway... And a notorious attempted murderer.

Date: August 07, 2017 01:31AM
Padma Lakshmi attended high school at my HS's crosstown rival during the same years I attended my HS. I was actually supposed to attend that school based on where I lived -- if I'd only known...

It is what it is.
Date: August 07, 2017 01:33AM
I think I've mentioned this before: My first wife attended high school with Will Ferrell; he was two classes below her.

It is what it is.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: August 07, 2017 09:02AM
N-OS X-tasy!
I think I've mentioned this before: My first wife attended high school with Will Ferrell; he was two classes below her.

Hmmm...that would place her in the same class as my college freshman-year roommate.
I mentioned him on this forum previously - the physicist ever-chasing his cheap-to-manufacture 80% efficiency solar panel idea.
In another odd degree-of-separation, he ended up marrying the niece of John C. Stennis.

But, back on topic. I don't know of anyone famous from my exact highschool graduation year, but I mentioned here before that Dr. Dong Kim was in a few of the same math and chemistry classes as myself (I remember him as a really soft-spoken friendly guy - we got along well). Probably the most famous alum from my highschool is from ten years after me - Stacy Ferguson, aka Fergie from the Black Eyed Peas.

Hmmm...re-reading the thread about Gabrielle Giffords, it would appear that N-OS X-tasy! also was in the area, but at a different highschool.
There's something odd about all of this - but I can't quite place my finger on it...
Posted by: Shakes
Date: August 07, 2017 09:41AM
Billy Mumy. Same year. We traded comic books occasionally.

Shakes
Posted by: Kate
Date: August 07, 2017 07:54PM
Two years ahead of me, Adrienne Barbeau.

Kate
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 07, 2017 10:24PM
......I can not tell a lie......George Washington............Carver.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 216
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015