advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone every have a Fiberglass Pool installed?
Posted by: spacescape
Date: August 06, 2017 09:45AM
Entertaining the idea of putting in a in ground pool next summer... The chances of me going through with this is slim to none but I really want to start researching and understand everything I'd need to know to make an informed decision.

So, if anyone has any information to share or tips/advice I'd welcome it!!!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone every have a Fiberglass Pool installed?
Posted by: bik
Date: August 06, 2017 12:22PM
I don't have a fiberglass pool, but I used to be in the pool business. What do you want to know?

In general, fiberglass pools are good and durable. But, they will cost more than a vinyl liner pool for a smaller size.

When buying an in-ground pool, the costs can skyrocket far beyond what many people initially imagine. You see an ad for an in-ground pool for $10,000 or whatever, that doesn't take into account the equipment, the deck around it, the fence, the cleaning up the landscaping after the construction, the optional accessories like heaters and automatic cleaners, and the ongoing maintenance. A $10,000-$15,000 hole can easily become a $50,000 project.

So, the first consideration has to be about your overall budget.
Second consideration has to be about roughly how big of a pool you're interested in.
3- What kind of climate do you live in
4- how much maintenance are you willing to do vs. spending money on services or automatic systems.

Personally, I would not do a fiberglass pool, but that's just my preference, mainly because I would rather have a bigger pool.

Vinyl liner pools are the cheapest in-ground pools. Vinyl liners with steel or plastic walls are the cheapest of those.

Personally, I would look at a vinyl liner pool with concrete walls. If my budget was bigger, I'd look at gunite pools.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 06, 2017 12:45PM
I'd just get a spa and turn the heater off. Most folks don't swim, they soak.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: rz
Date: August 06, 2017 07:20PM
Do NOT do it! I bought a house in 1995 that had an in-ground pool with a fiberglass finish. After a couple of years, I kept wondering why it was so hard to keep clean. All kinds of algae issues. It used cartridge filters (which you're supposed to wash out every so often). Every time I'd go to clean the filters, they looked great. It wasn't making sense.

Then I started noticing I'd feel itchy after swimming. Then the finish started coming off in chunks. I called a local pool company and he explained it. The fiberglass had been coming off and clogging the filter. Since it's the same color as the filter, you couldn't tell. He said that the previous owners were one of many people suckered into getting a fiberglass finish. He said that 5 years earlier, there were dozens of fiberglass pool companies in the area. At the time, there was only one left. We got an aggregate finish (Diamond Brite), and never had the same kind of problems after that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 229
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015