Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $153.14 ( +2.59 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Unlimited Senior Surfing at $30 a month
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 07, 2017 03:52PM
T-mobile will be offering 55+ "seniors" two lines with unlimited data, talk and texting for $60 per month, or $50 for one line.

The One Unlimited 55+ plan starts August 9 and additionally offers full service in Canada and Mexico, freebies on Tuesdays, Digits phone number syncing and some free use of your phone on Gogo's in-flight wireless access. The catches? You need to set up automatic payments to get those rates (it's $5 more per line otherwise), and you won't get Kickback, Insider Hookup or a handful of other discounts. Video streaming is limited to 480p and 3G speeds.

EDIT: as RGg says below, you do need take their coverage into account. I wish I had a way to check coverage better than their map. It shows full strength coverage at my house, but a few years ago I couldn't even get a signal inside. No new towers have gone up, so I'm skeptical.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2017 04:04PM by Ombligo.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Unlimited Senior Surfing at $30 a month
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 07, 2017 03:56PM
This would be a good deal, if their network worked better away from the big cities. Where my mom lives, Verizon is the only reliable carrier, so I am sort of stuck until one of the others gets reliable there.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 07, 2017 04:04PM
[support.t-mobile.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 07, 2017 04:48PM
....just for this forum....but it discriminates against singles.....and older individuals who have lost partners......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 07, 2017 04:51PM
I can always use my parent's names to get 2 lines for us, right?
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: August 07, 2017 11:06PM
We're on T-Mobile, true geezers, Ethyl and I, hmmm, maybe I'll check this out. I just drove across country, east coast to Republik of Kalifornia, LA Sektor, and only a couple of low lying spots lost coverage. LTE most of the way. Man, America is nothing but countryside, then desert from TEXAS, all the way. Beautiful though. Sorry, got a bit sidetrackedfacepalm

Anyway, T-Mobile coverage seems to be getting better as I type using it right now.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2017 11:07PM by GuyGene.
Posted by: stephen
Date: August 08, 2017 04:25AM
rgG, same with my Mom.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: August 08, 2017 06:25AM
That's a nice deal, though carriers like Ting, Cricket and senior-focused ones like Consumer Cellular (IIRC) may be able to rival or beat it with the same or somewhat better (ATT) networks. FWIW, T-Mo's MVNO is called Metro PCS, and I've seen similar pricing from them at about $30/line or less sans arthritic pre-reqs. wink smiley

I've been on a T-Mo reseller called Harbor coming up on I think 3 years now; coverage has vastly improved from the first year especially in areas where I wondered if they were just full of it when they said it was gonna get better "soon." For me, this is the area I mainly travel, the I-70 corridor b/w KC and STL. That first year, it was Edge or nothing. Now it's several bars if not LTE most of the way. But that is a direct highway b/w 2 large metros.

The adage of T-Mo being best for those in large metros and lacking in rural coverage remains accurate. I still get what feels like a bit too many dead spots for this day and age in truly rural areas. Some places they have me roaming on ATT which is okay. Others, just minimal or no bars.

But for $33/month taxes included, I get 2.5gb data and Unlimited TnT. For the money, it's worth it. I don't get LTE at my house but usually service is fine here with 2-3 bars...I'm in a weird pocket of KC and I've found other networks very similar here.

Caveat: if you're in Omaha, just forget T-Mo. For some bizarro reason they're apparently banned from having, say, more than 1 tower there that sometimes puts out about a third of a bar. It amazes me how poor T-Mo is in Omaha.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: August 08, 2017 09:46AM
[www.t-mobile.com]
Date: August 08, 2017 09:55AM
Can you tell me the phones cost under this plan? Or is there a free selection? I was looking and couldb't figure that out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2017 09:56AM by pqrst.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 08, 2017 10:04AM
pqrst
Can you tell me the phones cost under this plan? Or is there a free selection? I was looking and couldb't figure that out

.....I believe with t-mobile, there are no longer free phones.....you have to BYOC [ bring your own cell phone or you can buy any phone they have as they are not tied to any plan ].....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 08, 2017 11:03AM
NewtonMP2100
....just for this forum....but it discriminates against singles.....and older individuals who have lost partners......
Actually only the account holder has to be 55+. I'm jumping on it... none of the TMo phone users in the household are over 30. But I'm the account holder.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: August 08, 2017 11:29AM
I've been with T-Mobile for the past seven years. Their coverage has really improved in the past two years.
I'm going to jump on that deal tomorrow. It means an annual savings of $480 over my current plan, which is also unlimited data.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]
Posted by: mspace
Date: August 09, 2017 09:37AM
I'm doing it. It will drop my T-mobile bill by $30/month. I hate auto-pay, but don't want to spent the extra $10 if I don't do that.
Date: August 10, 2017 12:47AM
richorlin
I've been with T-Mobile for the past seven years. Their coverage has really improved in the past two years.
I'm going to jump on that deal tomorrow. It means an annual savings of $480 over my current plan, which is also unlimited data.
Let us know how it goes.
Date: August 16, 2017 10:52PM
Anybody have a go at this?
Date: August 16, 2017 11:28PM
pqrst

I signed up, but it doesn't kick in for me until the 18th, due to my billing cycle.
Date: September 16, 2017 10:15PM
mspace
pqrst

I signed up, but it doesn't kick in for me until the 18th, due to my billing cycle.
So how is it going? smiling smiley
Date: September 17, 2017 10:09AM
pqrst
mspace
pqrst

So how is it going? smiling smiley

Seems to be fine. My previous plan did not have text included (trying to save pennies with a free texting app), so now I have unlim text and saving $30/month from previous bill. Had to allow auto-pay, which I hate, but worth the $10/month savings.

Have not been billed yet for the new plan, but everything looks in order on the T-Mobile site.

I would go for it if you fit the profile and are happy with T-Mobile.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 296
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015