advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Flys in kitchen, advice to locate source
Posted by: Microman
Date: August 07, 2017 05:25PM
For last 3-4 days I have noticed flies on the inside of the screen of the kitchen window.

After using a fly swatter to kill them, there will be more.

This morning ,I came downstairs and there were some maggots crawling on the floor of the kitchen. I pulled the fridge out and checked under it, i looked at built in dishwasher by removing the bottom, i checked the lights bullt in too the ceiling, nothing to indicate where they are coming

Was hoping to find location before I sprayed any eco friendly insect spray.

Just cant figure out how these things move so fast to suddenly crawl to the middle of the kitchen floor, then determine where they came

Edit: no foul odors, southen california and no snakes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2017 05:49PM by Microman.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Flys in kitchen, advice to locate source
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 07, 2017 05:31PM
Perhaps a dead animal or snake in the wall? Have you noticed any foul odors around the house?

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: billb
Date: August 07, 2017 06:04PM
anybody missing ?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 07, 2017 07:11PM
.....flies in the buttermilk.......shoo fly shoo......????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 07, 2017 07:56PM
You need to take victims outside and away from the house before killing them....... facepalm
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: August 07, 2017 08:32PM
Could they be Drain Flies? We have been over run with them this year. My wife poured soda & vinegar down the drain but it only slows them up. We tried boiling water too (down the sink drain). Ours are mainly in the bathrooms. We haven't seen any in about a week now (knock on wood).

They are a little smaller than a regular house fly but have huge wings.

We put some of these down most drains in the house and the flies have been gone about a week.

I had a really good time getting after them with my Electronic Fly Swatter from Harbor Freight.

Good Luck,
Fred
Posted by: Don C
Date: August 07, 2017 09:07PM
One week at my last house I had a huge infestation of flies. They were upstairs mostly and a couple of times a day, I would open the screens and let them all out. It was a log house and I have think they were coming in between the logs (a constant battle) but why they entered was never clear, and as I say it lasted a week or two and the problem went away.

As for your current issue, time might take care of it.

I recently had a problem with fruit flies. I poured some wine in a glass, covered the glass with plastic wrap and then punched holes in the plastic with a toothpick. Fruit flies got into the wine but could not get back out.

Maybe you do something like that, making the holes big enough for a fly to enter.

EDIT: this does not solve the original question of source of the flies; it might help with the question of what to do about them. Or not!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2017 09:08PM by Don C.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 07, 2017 09:52PM
I get fruit flies about twice a year. I use a teaspoon of vodka, a tablespoon of vinegar, and a couple of drops of dish soap and 1/4 cup of water. Pour just enough in a cleaned yogurt cup so it won't evaporate in a few days.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: August 07, 2017 11:12PM
I know where they came from. I passed through the Fly State™ , Missouri, on my way to Southern Kalifornia, and surely they rode in the truck all the way here, then escaped. I've only seen one since being in Los Angeles, and I know we brought him.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: riley5108
Date: August 08, 2017 02:28AM
May not have an odor, but if you have "maggots crawling on the floor" there's something dead somewhere. Your smeller may not be as good as you think -- just sayin'....

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town
Posted by: richorlin
Date: August 08, 2017 11:10AM
Maggots are a sure sign that flies have laid there eggs on something they can feed on. Did you check the inside or bottom of your trash recepticle?

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]
Posted by: davester
Date: August 08, 2017 12:21PM
Last time I had that situation it was a dead skunk in the crawlspace. Pray that you don't have that.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 08, 2017 06:27PM
Any updates? Enquiring minds want to know.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 08, 2017 10:12PM
.....yes, to be a fly on that wall......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 204
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015