advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any deals on large external hard drives?
Posted by: davemchine
Date: August 07, 2017 10:03PM
I'm looking for a large external hard drive. It does not need to be fast. Any deals?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any deals on large external hard drives?
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 07, 2017 10:10PM
How large is large? And under $100? $200?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: clay
Date: August 07, 2017 10:12PM
$160 has been the recent price low (several times) for 8TB usb externals from seagate and WD. Watch slick deals.net
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: August 07, 2017 10:22PM
Yeah, get one of those crappy Seagate or WD externals — after all, your data doesn’t matter…
Date: August 07, 2017 11:25PM
ka jowct
Yeah, get one of those crappy Seagate or WD externals — after all, your data doesn’t matter…

From personal experience? Because your 8TB seagate/WD up and died? And no backup?

----

Posted by: davemchine
Date: August 07, 2017 11:53PM
I've had good luck with WD but haven't been a fan of Seagate. I would like something larger than 3GB, hopefully significantly larger, I'll check out slick deals.
Date: August 08, 2017 12:07AM
davemchine
I've had good luck with WD but haven't been a fan of Seagate. I would like something larger than 3GB, hopefully significantly larger, I'll check out slick deals.

Ive only had 3 drives fail. All WD.

5TB should be under $100. Paid $91 for mine from Jet.com with one of their 10% off coupons over a year ago.

If you only need 3 TB, I would be inclined to get a portable rather than desktop. No power brick, no fan and 1/8 the size. 4 TB are right around the $100 mark, although there was a seagate (gasp!) for $85 not long ago...

If you dont mind spending a little more and want/need 5TB, they do have 5 TB portables now, $140 (saw them $10 less just last week)

[www.bhphotovideo.com]

----

Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 08, 2017 12:18AM
ka jowct

The 8TB WD's more often than not have RED drives inside (which are NAS rated), so maybe the enclosure is crappy, but the drive certainly isn't.
Posted by: DP
Date: August 08, 2017 06:27AM
Yes, watch slickdeals. They have HDs showing up often. Many times a Best Buy deal where you can pick it up from the store and save on shipping if you have one near you.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 08, 2017 07:10AM
....unfortunately, looking for large hard drives......externally.....is still considered 'cheating' by some........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: August 08, 2017 08:00AM
Third Seagate external just bit the dust. Sometimes it's the crap enclosure, this time it was the drive. No symptoms before total failure, with nothing recoverable. jdc is clearly not fussy about such things, but I can't see any reason to trust these drives. It wasn't catastrophic, but it did have the most recent backups for two (lightly used) laptops on it.

We got the Seagate drives for nothing, and that's about what they have been worth, compared to better drives in better enclosures.

Apple Discussions have many threads about problems with external drives, and they are almost always WD and Seagate models.

Anyone who wants a WD Red would be better off buying the bare drive and installing it in a decent enclosure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2017 08:01AM by ka jowct.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 08, 2017 08:12AM
Recently purchased a 6TB external from staples for $120 with a VISA checkout deal.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 08, 2017 10:18AM
I always go with OWC when I need a "static" external -- meaning my Time Machine drive (a miniStack Max) or my Warehouse District drive (an OWC Mercury Pro Dual RAID). At least a dozen years (I think closer to 20, but I can't remember when I bought my first OWC On The Go drive, though OWC Larry has it now) :-) and no problems to speak of with the drives.

When I deal with something that's more redundant (like an external backup or a transit drive) and the person asking wants it fast (typically, "I'm at BestBuy right now what should I buy"), I usually steer them towards the little Seagate portables, which I've used in the past and have had no trouble with.

Date: August 08, 2017 10:48AM
It really all comes down to one thing for me, all drives fail. Not if, but when.

So backup drive and backblaze. And another potable that gets backed up every month or so and then back into the fire safe...

All of my WDs failed within the first 6 months.

----

Posted by: rz
Date: August 08, 2017 12:52PM
I always, ALWAYS buy drives in pairs. One for data, one for backup. I have 5 actual spinning hard drives in my Mac Pro (and an SSD on a PCI card as the boot drive). They are a mix of Hitachi and WD drives. The WD drives have been in there (or my old Mac Pro) for 6 or 7 years probably. Last SMART run I did on them show they have over 27,000 each on them. Hitachis are a little newer. Haven't had a drive fail on me recently, but the last one was a Seagate. But it's been almost 10 years. I usually update my drives before they die, but have gotten lazy. I do have current backups for everything.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 08, 2017 05:43PM
Gareth
ka jowct

The 8TB WD's more often than not have RED drives inside (which are NAS rated), so maybe the enclosure is crappy, but the drive certainly isn't.

I'm not going to be able to cite the data that helped form this impression so take it with a grain of salt, but from what I have read, despite the designed purpose of WD Red drives, their reliability is nothing to write home about compared to the other WD colors (models).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 250
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015