advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $153.14 ( +2.59 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
If you don't have Amazon Prime and use their free shipping it's ridiculously slow!!!!
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 09, 2017 06:42PM
I ordered 2 water filters and 3 air filters for our refrigerator on the afternoon of Aug. the 2nd. My order
status still says, "Expected by Aug 12", "Preparing for Shipment". Yesterday it said, "Expected by Aug 8-12".
They've had 7 days and it's still in prep. I placed an order a couple months on Friday and it said it would
be delivered the next Wed. - Fri., well come Thurs. it still said Preparing for Shipment, I canceled the order.
A water filter locally is $50 each, Amazon has a knock off with excellent rating for $35 for 2 and 3 air
filters for $9.

About two months ago I ordered a new Cyberpower UPS from $40 from Newegg on sale and used their
free shipping option. I ordered it on a Thurs., it was on my front porch on Monday morning. Ordered
another one my son and it took the same amount of time to get here.

If Newegg can do free shipping like that, with something that weighs about 20#, what gives with Amazon?

Grateful11
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: If you don't have Amazon Prime and use their free shipping it's ridiculously slow!!!!
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: August 09, 2017 06:48PM
There's a trick to kicking the regular "free" shipping.*

Wait and let stuff stack up in your cart until it's more than $50 and can be divided into two orders of $25 or more.

Place the first order, then wait more than 24hrs and place the 2nd order.

Their algorithms presently prioritize shipment when there are two in queue, so you are likely to get a notice of shipment shortly thereafter.

*Didn't say that it was the greatest trick. Obviously not helpful if you're in a hurry or don't buy a lot from Amazon.

Re: If you don't have Amazon Prime and use their free shipping it's ridiculously slow!!!!
Date: August 09, 2017 07:50PM
Nice!

Thanks Onamuji !

Grateful11
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 09, 2017 08:15PM
I just pay $100/year and don't worry about this. it pissed me off thought when they have the item in stock and then wait 2 full days to ship it. once they ship it, it gets here the next day.

They did screw up a Weber grill, they shipped it GROUND from OHIO to NJ, even though the email said "2 day". I got here in 5 working days.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 09, 2017 08:27PM
How do they save money by delaying shipment?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 09, 2017 08:46PM
Grateful,

Something to factor into the equation is the distance between your shipping address and the place from which Amazon is shipping the items. Newegg may have had warehouses that are closer to the address of your son and your own address. Amazon's warehouse may be farther away. That can definitely impact the time in transit. Carrier factors into the equation. Items shipped via UPS or Fedex and delivery by either may arrive much faster than items shipped via the USPS or shipped via UPS/Fedex and then handed off to the USPS for final delivery. You could say that in this day and age, shipping is more complicated than it appears upon first inspection.

Robert
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: August 09, 2017 08:54PM
One of my friends who has Prime is thoroughly fed up with the fact that so much of it is shipped USPS, which means that she sometimes never gets it, and there is no meaningful tracking for those orders.

I've had good enough luck with the free shipping option that I feel no temptation to sign up for Prime, especially if it would mean more packages going through our awful local PO branch.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 09, 2017 09:53PM
How do they ship non Prome orders? I thought they also use USPS.
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 10, 2017 06:37AM
The non Prime shipping has gotten really bad for me, too. I now try to order from sellers other than Amazon so I don't have to wait so long for them to ship. I have found the non Amazon sellers to usually ship much faster, and they don't charge me tax either.

The last time I had an Amazon free shipping order it took like a week for them to ship. I called and they made a "one time exception" and shipped it two day then, after it was about to miss the estimated delivery date. They even had the nerve to say, "it will ship, eventually." WTH?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 10, 2017 09:45AM
I've really never had issues. USPS is generally OK.. it's all mail carrier dependent, and their tracking and notification is pretty good. OK, a little TOO chatty. The last mile mail carrier though ? Ugh. Our old carrier retired (bless him), and the new one just drops boxes at the door. In the rain. Or Snow. Or whatever. No doorbell, nothing.
Date: August 10, 2017 10:17AM
It's still says,"Preparing for Shipment" this morning. If they're not shipped by this evening I think I'll just cancel. SMH

Next I need filters I'll just go with eBay. Actual brand name for less than generic.
[www.ebay.com]

Amazon filters.
[www.amazon.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 10, 2017 10:47AM
Think of it like a road. The main road is the Amazon Prime road and cars drive straight from the order processing through the warehouse and out to shipping. The other two belts merge into the main belt and have stop lights. The first entry ramp is for paid shipping orders. The light turns green and lets a package go when there is a gap in the prime traffic. The second entry ramp is for free shipping orders. It is farther down the line from the first entrance ramp. Same rules apply and it only gives a green when there is an opening. That means that both prime and paid shipping must pass up a gap before it can go. It can be a long long wait when Amazon is busy.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Z
Date: August 10, 2017 12:08PM
freeradical
How do they save money by delaying shipment?

By shipping slowly, they're enticing you to pay more for the faster delivery options.

And Chris - even though we've got prime offered, Alaska and Hawaii are special on-ramps somewhere between the prime and standard free shipping lanes. Prime gets you free 3-7 business day deliveries, and $6.99/item two day. They have started stretching out that 3-7 to the full 7, and overnighting / 2nd day airing things at the last minute to try and push paying more for shipping.

They've also started ratcheting back on what they will and won't send to AK based on random criteria. They wouldn't send some brake caliper retainer clips that weigh all of an ounce or two the other day, presumably because they're in the same category as brake rotors or calipers that can weigh quite a bit more. Frustrating, but the joys of living at the end of a supply chain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2017 12:23PM by Z.
Posted by: hal
Date: August 10, 2017 12:32PM
The last amz thing I ordered arrived the next day ( I don't have prime), but usually it's 5 days or so.
Date: August 10, 2017 01:47PM
Well y'all can explain anyway you want but I think it sucks. All they're trying to do is get me back on Prime
and it's not happening at $100/year. There's huge distribution center 20 minutes from our home, I'm not
saying that where the stuff is coming from but I still say this is ridiculous. If my wife shipped like this with
her eBay items she'd be out of business. Just checked again and it says the same thing.

Grateful11
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: August 10, 2017 02:14PM
space-time
How do they ship non Prome orders? I thought they also use USPS.

They use it for both. I think people expect Prime to be better: but charging $99 for a year of shipping seems like a guarantee that corners will be cut to try to pinch pennies. So I can't see any reason to have Prime, unless you want other Prime services and can put up with USPS shipping. It can't be as thoroughly crappy everywhere as it is in my area.
Posted by: hal
Date: August 10, 2017 02:22PM
Grateful11
Well y'all can explain anyway you want but I think it sucks. All they're trying to do is get me back on Prime
and it's not happening at $100/year. There's huge distribution center 20 minutes from our home, I'm not
saying that where the stuff is coming from but I still say this is ridiculous. If my wife shipped like this with
her eBay items she'd be out of business. Just checked again and it says the same thing.

I don't worry about it. I'm with you - not gonna do Prime - no way. SO when I order from AMZ, I expect it to take a while. If I need it faster, I'll look elsewhere. In fact... with ebay being so tight on sellers, I'll often buy from a good ebay seller close by with a record of fast shipping. They NEED to protect their rep, so I can usually depend on it arriving on time. But if it absolutely has to arrive by x date, I'll buy locally and spend more. I imagine that you don't have that extra option - the price you pay for living in a pretty, but rural place.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 10, 2017 03:29PM
space-time
it pissed me off thought when they have the item in stock and then wait 2 full days to ship it. once they ship it, it gets here the next day.
They aren't "waiting". They are working like crazy to get out all the orders that are ahead of yours. If they dropped everything to ship YOUR package, it would be both weird and unfair to the people who ordered before you did. You act like they are some eBay seller who is sitting in the living room watching TV and refusing to ship for two days.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 11, 2017 07:27AM
....USPS is bad, especially the lower rate service.....the courier service can be good or bad......sometimes quicker service but not very adaptable and depends on the person delivering....some just leave it in places where it can be stolen.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: August 11, 2017 03:32PM
Hey it's on the way. Now in order for it to get here they must be shipping Expedited shipping, ie, Priority to
get here within 30 hours. This was a no rush order so not a big deal but why not ship a few days earlier
and use a cheaper method? To a point Priority is cheaper for my wife to ship over 16oz. via USPS than
Ground Select because she gets a big discount by buying and printing all her shipping labels through eBay.
And yes eBay cut a deal with USPS to be able use First Class shipping up to 16oz but 16.1oz has to go
Priority or Ground Select. I suspect Amazon also gets big discounts with shippers also. I'm with Hal I'm
not going back to Prime. I should've checked eBay before ordering as but for some reason I didn't. I could
have bought them on their cheaper, free shipping and no tax.

Next time I order a no rush from Amazon I'm just going not worry about. I guess I'm just used to my wife
having guaranteed next business day shipping and people are amazed at how fast their stuff gets to them.

Copied and pasted:
ORDER PLACED
August 2, 2017
TOTAL
$43.68

Order Details Invoice
Arriving tomorrow by 8 PM
On the way

Grateful11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 305
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015