advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $157.86 ( 0.00 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PSA: Don't put your leg on dashboard. “When the airbag exploded, it pushed my foot up into my face” (injury picture)
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 10, 2017 11:25AM
I see pople doing this exact same car lounging technique everywhere I drive. I always assumed with would really mess a person up, this is the first time I have seen a story with a picture to show what can happen.

[jalopnik.com]

A woman in Georgia has an important message for all of you road-trippers out there trying to get one last long drive in before summer’s end: get your damn feet off the dash.

It’s a compelling message, especially when delivered by someone who now has six screws and a metal rod in her leg. Two years ago, Audra Tatum was sitting in the passenger seat when the family car T-boned another one at an intersection, News Channel 9 reports. She was resting her foot on the dash at the time and wasn’t wearing a seatbelt. When the air bag went off, it did... exactly what you’d expect it to do.

“When the airbag exploded, it pushed my foot up into my face,” Tatum told News 9.

Stay with that mental picture a moment. Air bags need to explode out of the dash at a fantastic speed. It literally needs to be faster than your head going forward in the milliseconds after a crash, which, by the way, is the speed of the car you’re riding in. Air-bag delivery systems were based on the compressed air units that launched torpedoes in WWII. We’re talking that much force. Which means: her own foot came flying at her face at least faster than 45 mph. Her own foot crushed the bones in her shoulder and face. Her femur shattered in four places. Doctors told Tatum that if she hadn’t had her leg up on the dash, she would have walked away from the crash.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA: Don't put your leg on dashboard. “When the airbag exploded, it pushed my foot up into my face” (injury picture)
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 10, 2017 11:30AM
That one doesn't take a rocket scientist.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Re: PSA: Don't put your leg on dashboard. “When the airbag exploded, it pushed my foot up into my face” (injury picture)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 10, 2017 11:51AM
I don't feel sorry for her but thats a kind of crazy way to learn a lesson.

Posted by: GGD
Date: August 10, 2017 11:58AM
"She was resting her foot on the dash at the time and wasn’t wearing a seatbelt"

And her only advice is about foot placement.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 10, 2017 12:31PM
I've also seen women driving with their foot out the drivers window... Stupid.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 10, 2017 12:36PM
My regular concern with my wife and children. Not to mention my kids nasty feet on the dash. Mrs. cbelt3's feet are made of sugar and spice and everything nice.... At least that's what I will state publicly. They are also very very cold when she plants them on my back in bed because she's cold....
Posted by: DP
Date: August 10, 2017 02:31PM
ztirffritz

Tell that to my wife! No matter what I say to her, she puts her feet up on the dash when we take long trips. She says, "Don't get in an accident!"

Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 10, 2017 02:37PM
Paul F.

That flexibility can come in handy but not while they are driving.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: max
DP
ztirffritz

Tell that to my wife! No matter what I say to her, she puts her feet up on the dash when we take long trips. She says, "Don't get in an accident!"
Ditto....
Posted by: Speedy
DP
ztirffritz

Backseat, backseat, backseat!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 10, 2017 02:40PM
Speedy
Paul F.

That flexibility can come in handy but not while they are driving.

Absolutely right! smiling smiley

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 10, 2017 02:47PM
DP
ztirffritz

The answer is, "I'll do my best, but can't promise anything about the other drivers."
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 10, 2017 03:00PM
JoeH
DP
ztirffritz

The answer is, "I'll do my best, but can't promise anything about the other drivers."

All this. A hundred times.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 10, 2017 05:13PM
Stupid is as stupid does.

It is what it is.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: August 10, 2017 07:08PM
Who doesn't know this? Common sense is no longer common.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 10, 2017 11:29PM
M A V I C

That's because in Modern America, our civilization has been molded to protect those who would have died off previously because of lack of common sense. Thus leaving ONLY those with common sense.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 11, 2017 01:15PM
M A V I C

Because people doing stupid stuff is a new thing.

RollingEyesSmiley5

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: August 11, 2017 05:54PM
I'm a tall guy, and I've been afraid to figure out what would happen if the airbag deployed when I have to sit with my knees almost jammed against the glove compartment in a smaller sedan. I'm guessing it would be better than the alternative, but by how much?

And any vehicle I'm in better not start moving before I've got my seatbelt on or the driver's going to hear about it. smiley-shocked003
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 238
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015