advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Deleting Large File
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: August 10, 2017 02:55PM
Trying to delete a superfluous large photo file from my external drive. File is 102 GB. Tried moving to trash and left it for several hours....no dice. Tried using the command delete immediately and I'm now in waiting mode again. Progress bar stuck all the way to the right and I'm waiting.

Imac mid 2011 with 10.12.5 & 12 Gig memory.

How long should this take?

Asheville, NC Area
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Deleting Large File
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 10, 2017 03:01PM
How can a photo be 102 GB?
Date: August 10, 2017 03:02PM
freeradical
How can a photo be 102 GB?

It's a photo library.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 10, 2017 03:02PM
freeradical
How can a photo be 102 ?

.....eat right, and exercise [ and good genetics ].....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: billb
Date: August 10, 2017 03:03PM
size JJJ ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: August 10, 2017 03:29PM
billb
size JJJ ?

What does this mean?
It's an extra Photos library of over 24,000 photos totalling 122.2 GB. Trying to make room on my external. It's a single file.

Asheville, NC Area

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2017 03:29PM by MartyStickle.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 10, 2017 03:39PM
Reboot.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 10, 2017 03:42PM
MartyStickle
billb
size JJJ ?

What does this mean?
It's an extra Photos library of over 24,000 photos totalling 122.2 GB. Trying to make room on my external. It's a single file.

It's not a single file, it's a Package, which is really a folder that just looks like a single file, it contains thousands of individual files.

If you control-click on it, you can select "Show package contents" to see what's really inside of it.

One of the fastest ways I've found to delete stuff immediately and quickly without using the trash is to connect to the computer using file sharing from another Mac, and delete it from that other computer. You will get a warning that it will be deleted immediately, which is exactly what you want.
Date: August 10, 2017 03:48PM
GGD
MartyStickle
billb
size JJJ ?

What does this mean?

It's not a single file, it's a Package, which is really a folder that just looks like a single file, it contains thousands of individual files.

If you control-click on it, you can select "Show package contents" to see what's really inside of it.

One of the fastest ways I've found to delete stuff immediately and quickly without using the trash is to connect to the computer using file sharing from another Mac, and delete it from that other computer. You will get a warning that it will be deleted immediately, which is exactly what you want.

I'm aware of the package thing. So, If I show package contents, would it be better to do that and try deleting smaller bits?

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 10, 2017 03:52PM
MartyStickle
GGD
MartyStickle
billb
size JJJ ?

What does this mean?

I'm aware of the package thing. So, If I show package contents, would it be better to do that and try deleting smaller bits?

It would probably take more cumulative time, but you might have some success in deleting at least some files more quickly. If it's not a big problem I would just let it sit until the task is complete. Or go with the other suggestion to access over file sharing and delete that way.
Date: August 10, 2017 04:02PM
Speedy
Reboot.

This did it! I restarted and, of course I was forced to quit the process in the finder. After the reboot, the file package was shown to be only 7 GB, not the original 122. I redid delete immediately, and within a couple of minutes, the file is gone.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: hal
Date: August 10, 2017 04:07PM
Run smart utility on that drive - slow finder actions can be from a bad hard drive.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 10, 2017 04:12PM
hal
Run smart utility on that drive - slow finder actions can be from a bad hard drive.

And run Diskwarrior.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: hal
Date: August 10, 2017 04:34PM
yeah - good point
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 145
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015