Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $160.23 ( +0.35 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
SAT prep course rec?
Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 10, 2017 04:58PM
My son will be taking his SAT this coming school year. Do any of the forum gurus have any recommendations, warnings, advice?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: SAT prep course rec?
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 10, 2017 06:38PM
My daughter took a course from Larry Krieger that was great. I am not sure where you live or if he is even still doing the courses, he mostly did them at private schools that brought him in, but he has a bunch of prep book on Amazon so you might want to check those out. He gave very good practical advice that was presented in a fun way.

[www.amazon.com]

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 10, 2017 06:57PM
I would say attend more than one, especially if the student has any learning issues.

When I was preparing for the EIT, it was broken into 2 hour sessions for each category. I did best on sections I attended more than once.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 10, 2017 11:08PM
Plan to take the SAT twice to correct for test-day anxiety/bad luck. Many schools amalgamate the best performance for each half.

We've done courses and we've done the self-study books, (Kaplan, etc.) Can't say it boosted the scores much, but I think they helped our students get results that matched their ability.
Posted by: J Marston
Date: August 10, 2017 11:47PM
Kaplan does a good job if students follow it religiously. The study-at-home model can also work, but your child needs really ferocious discipline for it to work.

Acre is right about taking the test twice, and most schools will take the highest score per section. (Standard deviation on the SAT is 60 points, so that 1250 could be an 1190 or a 1310, depending, and that can make a big difference in deciding which colleges would view him as "competitive." My son's first SAT was around 1400; his second, with practice and test prep, was 1510. Those signal different things to admissions people. Colleges view SATs in tiers: 1100 is one tier, 1250 is another, 1350 another, etc. finally, lower verbal scores = higher percentiles, because more and more kids are getting 800s (or close to it) on the math score. Vocabulary has the biggest payoff in final percentages.

The current buzzword in admisssions these days is "leadership," so it may help if he can work that into his college essay. "Diversity" remains an issue--bigger with faculties than admissions committees right now--so tell how he's different: there is medical diversity, socio-economic diversity, educational diversity, etc. All these I can make an admissions essay stand out
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 11, 2017 12:32AM
Hookers & booze the weekend before, so that he'll have enough time to relax and recover before the test. Then just promise him more H&B depending on how good his test scores are. OTOH, if you can find a place that does practice tests, in addition to whatever study/tutor services are offered, getting the kid comfortable w/ the whole testing shenanigans goes a long way towards doing well.

While Baby Buzz scored commensurate w/ JM's kid, distractions were bad. Baby Buzz's sociopathic baseball coach, rather than being supportive, terrorized the kid during the week of his test. He took it in the fall, so as not to interfere w/ real baseball in the spring. We picked the kid up at his school after the SAT, and had to go to some other kid's house located between the school and the meaningless fall ball game to borrow a uniform, because Baby Buzz left his uniform in the locker room adjacent his own school's baseball field that was inaccessible that Saturday. We stopped at an Arby's, near the other school's field (that we were racing to), so that the kid could take care of business, and change into the borrowed uniform. We got to the field just as the game was getting underway.

The coach had Baby Buzz pinch hit in the top of the second inning, and he whacked the first pitch he saw almost into the gap, and thought about trying to go to second, but after a big turn, returned to first base because he hit it too hard, and the opposing centerfielder had a good arm. Baby Buzz appeared to steal second on the first pitch to the next batter, but the ump said there was no pitch because he had called time out. The batter fouled the next, official first pitch off, after which psycho-coach pulled Baby Buzz for a pinch runner. So, Baby Buzz was terrorized for the week of his SAT over a meaningless fall ball game in which the coach let him appear for all of two official pitches.

Practice tests, no distractions, rest and relaxation.
Stay away from tyrants if at all possible.
Baby Buzz went to Compass Education Group for prep and practice.
Good luck.
==
Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 11, 2017 07:47PM
Thanks, folks. That gives us a starting point.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 13, 2017 06:58PM
Dunno. Took the test once, no prep, and went to college with a scholarship.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 270
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015