Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $160.47 ( +0.59 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How is your Apple hardware experience?
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 10, 2017 08:57PM
With 25% of Surface laptops having issues within the first 2 years, I was wondering what your experiences are with Apple products with at least 2 years' of data.

I know I'm personally unlucky, but it's all about the odds. So here are my personal purchases in the Intel era:

1) Original MBP - still have it, use it every day as a media center. The keyboard has some failed keys, but it's been a champ.

2) Replaced with a Santa Rosa MBP that had 4 Mobo failures, 2 in the first 2 years. At the last failure, I purchased a 2012 MBPR.

3) The 15" MBPR has had 3 Mobo failures, all covered by Apple, but only after year 2.

4) Original Intel iMac purchased alongside the MBP; it was a total lemon. As far as I can tell, it would fail whenever its CPU was under load.

5) 2009 i3 iMac, has been great - Apple did a recall on the original 1TB Seagate drive that did not fail.

Scorecard: 2/5 (40%) of my machines had major fails in the first 2 years, 1 was acceptable due to extended warranty, and 2 are classic machines with one whose hardware has outlived its OS support.

Expanded scorecard for my family: Daughter's original unibody Macbook with no hardware failures, son's MBA after 4 years only had a failed trackpad during year 3, and wife's 2009 13" MBP is still chugging along.

sekker family scorecard is thus: 2/8 (25%). Interesting.

[note: the batting average for machines at work is far better, but I think that's because they largely see far less usage than my personal machines.]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How is your Apple hardware experience?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 10, 2017 09:06PM
Every Mac product has lasted insanely long.
iMac G3- still works
G4 sawtooth. Still works
G4 Cube. Still works
Macbooks- two donated while still working, remaining three still working. The youngest is 3 years old.
Mac mini 2012 ? Still working.

Apple gear is hard to kill.
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 10, 2017 09:06PM
My wife's 2011 15" MBP has had the trackpad replaced twice, both out of warranty, about $95 each at the Apple store.

I'm typing on a 2007 MBP (nvidia) that has had it's logic board replaced just once under the extended repair program, and is surprisingly still running.

Optical drives seem to die over time on all of my older Mac laptops.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 10, 2017 09:16PM
I've had only two Mac's with hardware failures within the first 2 years. One was a power supply on a refurbished DA PowerMac G4, replaced under warranty. The other was the hard drive in my 2009 iMac. That was one which got a drive from a bad batch from Seagate, also replaced under warranty. That is out of over a dozen Mac's purchased for myself and my sons during the last 25+ years.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 10, 2017 09:35PM
Macs in our house under regular use:
2011 21.5 " iMac, CD fail at one year old, replaced under AC
2008 20" iMac, bought 2012 from college lab, no issues
2006 13" white Macbook, screen bezel, KB and KB bezel replaced under extended warranty for cracks, bought 2011

I guess that makes 66% of our house Macs needing repairs, not counting the 512K and Mac+ novelty machines, which get little use, but have had no repairs.

Posted by: Pat
Date: August 10, 2017 09:51PM
LC - still works
PM 6300 - still works
PM 6500 x2 - still working, our fax/answering machine for over a decade.
iMac DVSE - lost on board video, used with external monitor for several years.
1st Gen G5 - ran until last December
Currently running a 2004 G5
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 10, 2017 09:51PM
I've only had one Apple machine fail. It was one of the original 17" Intel iMac's. However, it failed at around the 4-5 year point, so even if I had purchased AppleCare (I have never bought this) it wouldn't have mattered.

I figure that by not buying AppleCare, I've saved enough money to buy at least one new machine...
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: August 10, 2017 10:05PM
No recent failures, although I can't be sure because I haven't fired up my 7600 in years, or my 9600 in 12 to 18 months. My IIci died after about 14 years. My Apple 20" MultipleScan monitor lasted nearly 14 years.

The Other Human had one of the lemon PowerBook 190s. His 2008 iMac just recently went to recycling, still working, but with a dead internal HD and optical drive.

My 2010 Mac Pro has some quirks but still works well. I have (as far as I know, since they have not been started up recently) a working Smurf, an MDD, a G4/450. My 2011 MacBook Pro works, perfectly but has barely been used since I became aware of the problems with that model.

Nothing here is more recent than 2012, although the 2012s were acquired in 2014. Nothing from the "hot, skinny and soldered" category.
Posted by: roshi
Date: August 10, 2017 10:23PM
Since 1992 I have generally had 2 or 3 macs in the house-office, and none of them have ever had any hardware problems. The last 15 years I tend to have two Macbooks of some sort in the house serving as portables, and two MacBooks (usually Pro) running 27 inch screens. So maybe 14 Macs over 25 years and none of them have ever had a hardware problem. Except the DVD burner on a Mac 8500 stopped working after 4 years, in the late 90's.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 10, 2017 10:42PM
Interesting scorecard so far.

I knew I was taking a risk getting the original Intel Macs, and it was risky getting the MBPR due to the substantial new tech in that machine (screen = which ended up ghosting and Apple replaced; the glued-in tech, the SSD, and the quieter fans etc).

The Santa Rosa MBP was supposed to be a 3rd gen machine or so - I thought it'd be a sweet spot with 4GB RAM and Core2 Duo CPUs plus a discrete GPU. Too bad the nvidia card was totally flaky.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: August 10, 2017 11:07PM
Every thing bought new or refurb has been fine. Macs bought used...not so much. Buying somebody else's troubles!
Posted by: steve...
Date: August 10, 2017 11:13PM
The only real problem I've had was with an AppleVision 1710 monitor that I bought in '97. It went kablooey just a few days after the one year warranty ended. I paid around $1k for it IIRC. sad smiley

My current 2010 iMac is the best mac I've ever owned — still going strong after 6+ years.

Posted by: MikeF
Date: August 10, 2017 11:14PM
Macintouch did a reliability "study" more than 10 years ago:
[www.macintouch.com]

scroll down...

For me, the worst was a IIci back when Apple only gave 90-day warranty. Logic board had to be replaced twice over the 7 years that I owned it (the first time about a year after getting it). Others have been replaced and the old ones abandoned, but they haven't failed.
Posted by: hal
Date: August 10, 2017 11:25PM
I've owned LOTS of macs, but very few for longer than year.

My TB Monitor died under warranty - mobo had to be replaced.

I had a MDD PMG4 that arrived with a DOA hard drive - that was the only brand new (not refurbed) mac I ever bought.

My 2012 MBA 11" has been running non-stop since it arrived.

My 2013 13" MBPR has been flawless.

Everything else had been wonderful.
Posted by: J Marston
Date: August 10, 2017 11:30PM
I've had batteries fail on MacBooks and iPods, but I consider that normal wear and tear. Two MacBook batteries were replaced under AC. The only serious problem was a 2013 iMac 27”, shipped without a working airport card, a known issue at the time. Repairman came to my house the next day and fixed it: his biggest problem was making sure there was no dust on the reverse side of the screen. I still use that computer every day.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: August 11, 2017 12:37AM
sekker
With 25% of Surface laptops having issues within the first 2 years, I was wondering what your experiences are with Apple products with at least 2 years' of data.

Mine have been perfect (iMac Late 2012, MBP Retina Mid 2012, Macbook Early 2015) but since CR inspired your question, you may be interested in this:

[www.reuters.com]
"Altogether, the reliability issues made Microsoft a statistical outlier compared with other brands. Apple Inc had the most reliable devices, Beilinson said."
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: August 11, 2017 12:52AM
Two in particular were dogs. I bought a rev 1 blue and white G3, and money was so tight I didn't buy AppleCare. Of course I couldn't afford a second hard drive either, so a year or two later when I could, that's when I discovered my IDE controller was a disaster and I had no warranty. And then the FireWire port went out the first time I used it, plugging in a video cam, which also had its port fried. Since I'd had no trouble hooking that video camera to my Mac at work, I suspect the smurf was at fault. That was a catastrophe. Firewire video cameras were not cheap.

There was an iBook that went in for repairs five times before Apple replaced it. It was primarily a video card issue with other problems caused by the techs working on it.

Everything else -- Mac 128k, Mac Plus, iisi, some clones, two PowerBooks, another two iBooks, three or four MacBook Airs, a couple cheese graters, an iMac -- have been trouble free or nearly so.
Posted by: DP
Date: August 11, 2017 06:47AM
Had to buy a new battery for my G4 MBP but that machine was already old when I got it, and I replaced a power supply on an iMac a few machines ago. Otherwise everything has worked fine over the years...

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 11, 2017 06:48AM
....hard to say.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: August 11, 2017 08:07AM
Actually, now that I think about it, my 20" Apple CRT crapped out after 6 weeks. After being repaired, it hung in there for ages. The 20" Apple monitor at work also had to be repaired within the first 3-4 years but then went on for a decade +.

Only 3 of my Macs were bought new: the IIci, the be run for an7600/132, and the MDD 867. The rest have been new or refurbs. No laptops until 2012, when I got the refurb 15" MBP with the ticking time bomb graphics issue. I seldom use it, and if it's going to for more than a short time, I run it on a laptop cooler.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2017 08:11AM by ka jowct.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: August 11, 2017 09:15AM
My Apple IIe, Power Center, and 2002 G4 Quicksilver were all working (no repairs) when I sent them to the recycle center about 5 years ago.

Currently working never having had a single repair::

2006 MB (new battery) used daily at daughters house now
2007 MB - same
2007 iMac 2.8 24" still using after original HD failure - replaced with SSD (probably will end up at winter home)
2009 mini - at daughter's house. This machine had the optical drive fail. Not repaired.
2011 MBP 15" still working very well - original battery
2012 mini - using it to type this
2014 mini - wife's current Mac (probably will end up at winter home)
2015 iMac - recently bought this refurb for the value.
Airport Extremes (2) v.4 no problems
Airport Express no problems
iPad 2 still working at friend's house
iPad 4 still working at daughter's house
2 iPad Air 2 units still working here
2 iPhone 3, 1 iPhone 4, 2 iPhone 5, all working at trade-in
2 iPhone 6 working well
Apple TV 4 working well
At least 6 broken Apple keyboard boards the chuckle-style. Junk from the factory.
1 wired Apple Keyboard that came with the G4 still works great.

No wonder Apple stock has done so well!RollingEyesSmiley5

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mav/EC/Sierra/blood thinner & some other "old people pills".
Posted by: p8712
Date: August 11, 2017 09:19AM
I'd like my se/30 and plus to fire up - they need replacement capacitors. I have numerous macs from the past 20 years - they will all boot except the Mac portable which needs a battery. 8gb original iphone battery still lasts 4-5 hours. Not a bad record.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 11, 2017 10:55AM
only failure so far was a blueberry Apple 21" CRT Studio Display that worked right through owning a G4 MDD. I think it died two years ago. As much as I loved it for displaying and working with images it took up a LOT of room.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 12, 2017 07:31AM
Sekker,

I've been using the Mac since '84/'85, starting with the original Mac 128K. I've had desktops and laptops over the years. The only machine to really give me any trouble is my current personal machine - an Early '13 Macbook Pro 15" Retina and the issue is flaky bluetooth. Other than that, I gotta say Apple's hardware has been rock solid.

Sure, I've had components fail over the years but that isn't out of the ordinary. I know for some people it's been motherboards, video cards, etc. In my case, it's been storage devices, specifically hard disk drives. In the case of the Early '13 Macbook Pro 15" Retina, the bluetooth/wifi module. The bluetooth has never worked well from the start and that's despite Apple replacing that portion of the machine. I think it's just a shoddy component.

Robert
Posted by: digby
Date: August 12, 2017 08:58PM
We have the same problem with Apple that we do with Toyota.

Itching for a new, faster model, but the old one's chuggin' along just fine.

MacBook Pro, G4 Cube, iPhone 4 and 5, peppy little manual Echo and a borrrrring Corolla... all going strong.
Darn it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 254
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015