The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $157.86 ( 0.00 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Adapting to an iMac configuration snafu
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 11, 2017 01:32PM
Hi all,

Recently we received a couple of new iMacs at the office. They are Mid-2017 21.5"
18,1 machines, but the moran who configured them at time of order decided that 1TB spinning-platter hard drives would go swimmingly with 16GB of RAM.

Having experimented a bit before with running an iMac with a spinning internal drive off of a 2.5" SSD in an external USB 3 enclosure, I know that this configuration is a LOT faster than using the original drive.

Here's what I'd like recommendations for: cheap 480-512GB 2.5" SSDs (anything under $125 is great), and cheap-but-reliable USB 3 enclosures and short USB 3 cables. Ideas on attaching enclosures to the back of the iMac welcome too (i can figure out how to use Velcro tape, but suggestions are encouraged).

What do you all think?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Adapting to an iMac configuration snafu
Posted by: hal
Date: August 11, 2017 02:21PM
I have a pile of seagate cases - I'll sell to ya cheap and I think the idea of using gorilla tape to attach to the back is great. I'd go 128/256 instead. That's PLENTY of room for all apps and current work. The rest can be stored on the internal drive.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 11, 2017 02:23PM
rj,

I've owned SSDs from OWC, SanDisk, Samsung, MyDigital and other SSDs. The only brand I wouldn't use again is the MyDigital. Performance-wise it was fine. It just didn't seem to have the same build and material quality of the other brands.

If I were to buy an enclosure, I'd go USB 3 and make sure it supports UASP for optimal performance.

Should be easy enough to hang off the back of the iMac. Maybe use Command Picture Hanging Strips to attach it.

[www.amazon.com]

Or, maybe a Twelve South shelf:

[www.bhphotovideo.com]

Personally, I'd drop the SSD into an enclosure and just leave it stored behind the machine on the desk. It isn't like an SSD in a box will take up much space.

If I were to attach it, I like the idea of the command strip either a regular non-velcro type or the picture hanging strip with velcro. Sticks nicely but will be easy to remove from the machine.

The Twelve South shelf looks nifty, though. Very nifty!

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2017 02:25PM by Robert M.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 11, 2017 07:56PM
Our SSDs just sit on the foot near the back, can barely see them.

Prices on SSDs are bit much right now, 500 GB is prob closer to $150 (like OWCs neptune). Maybe a budget brand will get $130?

I bought 2 of these sabrent cases for $10 -- alumikneeyum, UASAP support. Basic, but gets the job done. [www.amazon.com]

You could look at USB C cases instead to save a USB port.

Not sure how these macs will be used, but I might agree that 256 GB would be plenty. Now, my dropbox is 222 GB all by itself, so that would be a no go, but thats me. For most basic users, not an issue.

Too bad they didnt come with a fusion drive, even the ones with the small 36 GB partition are still fast.

On a side note, if you are thinking about hiding them, then perhaps look at a m.2 drive instead? maybe a few bucks more, but a lot smaller. Couple d with USB C case.

[www.amazon.com]
[www.amazon.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2017 08:10PM by jdc.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 11, 2017 08:40PM
RJ,

I'll put in a good word for Crucial drives, too. Had one as well. I've yet to have any SSD fail.

Robert
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 14, 2017 02:06PM
Thanks, all! Forum always comes through....

hail smiley

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 242
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015